UK now has one of the worst healthcare systems in the developed world, according to

Let me fire up the old computer, I have a quote on that...

;) ;)

"You cap your health care budget, and you make the political and economic choices you need to make to keep affordability within reach.
"And it's important also to make health care a human right because the main health determinates are not health care but sanitation, nutrition, housing and social justice.
"One over-demanded service is prevention: annual physicals, screening tests, and other measures that supposedly help catch diseases early."
Donald Berwick
Death Panel Czar

Let me fire up the old computer, I have a quote on that...

;) ;)

"You cap your health care budget, and you make the political and economic choices you need to make to keep affordability within reach.
"And it's important also to make health care a human right because the main health determinates are not health care but sanitation, nutrition, housing and social justice.
"One over-demanded service is prevention: annual physicals, screening tests, and other measures that supposedly help catch diseases early."
Donald Berwick
Death Panel Czar

Check ups aren't the only means of prevention.

Education and campaigns can be effective and some can be very cheap to run.

A local example is "Walk for Health". It was set up originally for new Mums to walk with their baby in a pram and happened every Wednesday morning. The Mums would meet outside a seafront coffee shop, walk along the promenade and back for about two miles and return to the coffee shop. Most went inside and had a skinny latte or something.

It was started by a community nurse who used to walk with the new Mums. They could talk to her, and each other, about any problems they had with their new babies or getting their bodies back into shape after birth. It was funded for two years, with some funds from local pharmacies, some from other local businesses, and a little from the National Health Service.

After a year, the NHS money was unnecessary. The nurse was replaced by a volunteer retired nurse and the Mums organised themselves. It has now been running for ten years and the total cost of those ten years was £5,000.

There have been spin-offs - toddler walks for Mums with pre-school children; post-operative walks for hip replacements; post heart-attack walks etc.

The seafront coffee shop gives discounted prices for all the walkers and there are organised walkers almost every day of the year except in the very worst weather.

That is preventive health.

But we refuse to educate our feral urban youth to stop killing each other in droves.

:mad:

Everything you do to stop the disease is a racist violation of their dignity and human rights.

I can understand preventing premature death, but at some point in the future the artificial extension of life beyond what the human body is naturally capable of is going to be limited in some way. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the fact is that millions of people are draining away their families' personal wealth and taxpayer money like a giant sponge.

Death panels are the hard political economic choices that will put the limit on that for all but the wealthiest among us.

;) ;)

But we refuse to educate our feral urban youth to stop killing each other in droves.

:mad:

Everything you do to stop the disease is a racist violation of their dignity and human rights.

We can't hurt their feelings. Instead we have to make them feel good about rape, murder, and theft.

It's time for us to have a national discussion about preserving one of our precious resources - justice involved individuals.

Death panels are the hard political economic choices that will put the limit on that for all but the wealthiest among us.

;) ;)

The average cost of nursing homes is $5,000.00 per month. Medicaid takes over when those patients have exhausted their savings and have nothing left.

Are you saying preventive care improves quality of life?

I'm sure you have plenty of facts to back up your claim.

I was not even my point. Sooner symtom management produces life expectancy.

Prevention is more of a health and welfaire blend.

How one manages quality is individual.

I can understand preventing premature death, but at some point in the future the artificial extension of life beyond what the human body is naturally capable of is going to be limited in some way. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the fact is that millions of people are draining away their families' personal wealth and taxpayer money like a giant sponge.

I think it is correct that in first world societies 30% plus or minus 2/3% of the health budget is spent in the last six months of patients lives. Keeping terminally ill or injured people alive is very expensive, but how do we accept and persuade others to accept the inevitable without endless intervention?

I think it is correct that in first world societies 30% plus or minus 2/3% of the health budget is spent in the last six months of patients lives. Keeping terminally ill or injured people alive is very expensive, but how do we accept and persuade others to accept the inevitable without endless intervention?

It's too late to stop government intervention. That train left the station a long time ago.

They will make the decision about who dies and when. It's inevitable.

President Obama even wondered if his grandmother should have been denied treatment...

:eek:

After all, she was a typical white woman.

Back