"Because it's there."

babygrrl_702 said:
I tried them out last night.

Very nice and cozy - hit a 5.9 and smacked it good!

You'll kick my ass on the wall.

Whenever there's news or discussion about a climbing tragedy, Sue Nott and Karen McNeill immediately come to mind. I admired both women for their determination, enthusiasm, and attitude. I first read about their achievements through Mountain Hardwear and I'm glad to see that they have been kept on the website in the list of sponsored athletes. Hopefully more people will become aware of their accomplishments. (Perg, I remember reading that you met one of these awesome ladies. I envy you that opportunity.)

sue4.jpg

karen3.jpg

thør said:
You'll kick my ass on the wall.
Maybe - but you'll only see me paint mountains, not climb them.

and I wouldn't be kicking your ass...

babygrrl_702 said:

hmmmmm.........the best view is from the top.....

and the summits of some can be reached by hiking.....

Last edited:
Collette said:
Whenever there's news or discussion about a climbing tragedy, Sue Nott and Karen McNeill immediately come to mind. I admired both women for their determination, enthusiasm, and attitude. I first read about their achievements through Mountain Hardwear and I'm glad to see that they have been kept on the website in the list of sponsored athletes. Hopefully more people will become aware of their accomplishments. (Perg, I remember reading that you met one of these awesome ladies. I envy you that opportunity.)

sue4.jpg

karen3.jpg
Actually, they might both have been there, with Kitty Calhoun as well, who is amazing and has that rarest of elite climber qualities, this elusive thing called "longevity."

babygrrl_702 said:

That's only until the first time you climb someplace like Smith Rock and realize that the skills you're developing in the gym can be used for their original purpose, to access beautiful, dramatic terrain in the mountains.

Peregrinator said:
That's only until the first time you climb someplace like Smith Rock and realize that the skills you're developing in the gym can be used for their original purpose, to access beautiful, dramatic terrain in the mountains.

My climbing partner does go outside - and we do have a very nice mountain close by, a good beginner one.

OMG - this is getting serious, isn't it..

Now I have to get more gear..

babygrrl_702 said:
My climbing partner does go outside - and we do have a very nice mountain close by, a good beginner one.

gear is addictive.....

babygrrl_702 said:

You're doomed. The library:

Mountaineering, The Freedom Of The Hills
John Long's How To series (all of them)
A couple of shelves full of guidebooks to places you've been or want to be
At least fifty volumes of climbing stories by famous people
Several years of Rock and Ice and Climbing and Outside magazines
Topo maps of little corners of the world that no one pays any attention to, like northern Labrador's coast (for real...check it out)

Oh - the gear - so many colors!!!!

And a library, too?

I'm damned forever. :D

East Coast Canada is most spectacular - agreed. Stunning.

babygrrl_702 said:
Oh - the gear - so many colors!!!!

And a library, too?

I'm damned forever. :D

East Coast Canada is most spectacular - agreed. Stunning.
Avoid anodized anything...it's heinous for the environment. Otherwise, go nuts, but always remember, functional first...you won't care what color your chalkbag is when you're sketched out fifteen feet above your last piece of pro and greasing off....

Peregrinator said:
Avoid anodized anything...it's heinous for the environment. Otherwise, go nuts, but always remember, functional first...you won't care what color your chalkbag is when you're sketched out fifteen feet above your last piece of pro and greasing off....

Off topic, but I know there are a few different anodizing processes. Is there a common bad actor?

thør said:
Off topic, but I know there are a few different anodizing processes. Is there a common bad actor?
I don't know, actually. I heard most of what I know from a sales rep for a climbing gear company who was selling us carabiners and sort of pushing the pretty new colored ones. When I asked him about it, he said, yeah, it's heinous. Told us that if customers were concerned about it to ask them to write to the company he was repping for and ask them to stop selling them. I thought if he was a sales rep and felt that way, he must be pretty sure about it. I never looked into the different types of processes though.

Peregrinator said:
I don't know, actually. I heard most of what I know from a sales rep for a climbing gear company who was selling us carabiners and sort of pushing the pretty new colored ones. When I asked him about it, he said, yeah, it's heinous. Told us that if customers were concerned about it to ask them to write to the company he was repping for and ask them to stop selling them. I thought if he was a sales rep and felt that way, he must be pretty sure about it. I never looked into the different types of processes though.

One process uses chromic acid and the chromium is in the +6 oxydation state (hexavalent chromium). Nasty shit can happen if this stuff get out into the drinking water. Remember Erin Brockovich? I know the other processes use sulfuric acid that is probably less costly to neutralize and dispose of than the chromic acid.

thør said:
One process uses chromic acid and the chromium is in the +6 oxydation state (hexavalent chromium). Nasty shit can happen if this stuff get out into the drinking water. Remember Erin Brockovich? I know the other processes use sulfuric acid that is probably less costly to neutralize and dispose of than the chromic acid.
Huh...I wonder what the climbing gear people are using. *sigh* Another Google project, I guess.

Yeah...hexavalent Cr would be bad.

Peregrinator said:
Huh...I wonder what the climbing gear people are using. *sigh* Another Google project, I guess.

Yeah...hexavalent Cr would be bad.

Who knows. Definitely worth a look.

So many things happen as companies grow and change hands.

thør said:
Who knows. Definitely worth a look.

So many things happen as companies grow and change hands.
Yeah. I googled for a while, but it got boring and unproductive. Probably easier just to ask them at some point.

Sooo much to learn.

A little warmup tonight - belaying the boy tonight. Tomorrow another workout.

babygrrl_702 said:
Sooo much to learn.

A little warmup tonight - belaying the boy tonight. Tomorrow another workout.

Do you have a good workout partner?

thør said:
Do you have a good workout partner?
Oooooh - double entendre?

I have a climbing partner - she makes me look like a bumbling idiot.

babygrrl_702 said:
Oooooh - double entendre?

I have a climbing partner - she makes me look like a bumbling idiot.

I didn't mean to send another message.

Cool, a partner that's better than you, so you are always pushing to get better. It works.

thør said:
I didn't mean to send another message. :rolleyes:

Cool, a partner that's better than you, so you are always pushing to get better. It works.

Yeah - it certainly helps to see where I can go. Works both ways, in a sense. She tells me she's going to do "XXXXXX" and I have a bad habit of remembering (her words) and reminding her. So I am her Jiminy Cricket.

This sexy beast will get you close.

danetcatjefferies.JPG

Yeah, it's a Pilatus Porter.

Last edited:
Back