A Hero Among Us (closed)

After the first day, it felt like a train had hit him and the a herd of buffalo had run over him. He was right about Mr Smith, the man was much more than he seemed. At least they were allowed calls to let people know they would not be coming home for at least a month and that they were alive and kinda well.

____________________________________

Shadow had always seem like a pacifist to him, not that she didn't fight, but more how she aimed to avoid fighting. But now at the hands of Mr Smith and sometimes Ms Montgomery, she really flowered into a ass kicker. She even managed at times to put Alex down and with Mr Smith overseeing, it was not because Alex went easy on her.

Alex on the other hand were able to keep up with ultra-fit Smith and he had even tagged him once or twice in their sparring. Only problem was that when Smith got hit, he took Alex down double-time. But still they learned and still they ran.

It was morning, Alex was looking at the dry toast and coffee, wondering how much he would miss this when they go home. He looked up at Max. "It's been a month now. That was how long Mr Smith said we had. Think we improved enough to go home?"

Why he would long for home he would not know. It was cramped, it was cheap and he had nobody else but Max...but still he wished to go home.
 
"Do we really want to have improved enough to go home?" Max asked, taking a bit of her crispy bacon as she looked over at Alex. "You might have people there that are excited to see you, but I don't. I don't think I ever want to go back across the line ever again."

She had flourished there in the Montgomery home. She had grown stronger and more confident, smiling easier and not so scared of the world anymore. However, the threat of going home scared her to her core.
 
He leaned forward,

"Max we are here on borrowed time and you know it. We can't stay on as so-called guests forever. I don't have anybody to go back to and you know that, I do have a work to go to though and I don't see any opening in Miss Montgomery's business for somebody of our rather limited skill set."

He took a bite of the toast, "But I must admit, it would be nice if we could stay on this side of the line, even if it was just for the food."
 
"You don't know that. Have you asked about a job?" Max asked, throwing ideas out there in order to get him to think about maybe staying. "You might be surprised. She might have something in her business that even you can do."
 
Swampfire

He looked at Max for a moment, it was almost like he could feel what she was thinking, that going back would be bad for them. He finished his toast and coffee, then got up.

"I'll ask her when I see her again."

He already wore the tracksuit pants and t-shirt that he had received on that first day of training. Well the t-shirt sat a bit snug, but he wasn't going to be asking for a new one, not when the price of the material it was of could feed a family for a day.

"I'll be in the gym."

He closed the door behind him and nodded at the seemingly ever-present Mr Smith. "Mr Smith."

He walked down the hallway and took the elevator down to the gym, he had to clear his mind and a good workout should help with that. Of course since he lacked the holding power, he decided that he should start out with one of those runs that Miss Montgomery seemed so fond of.
 
Last edited:
Gracie stood in her gym, sweat dripping from her brow as she watched the screen in front of her with her hands on her hips. A month on and no one could give her answers as to why one of her buildings had so suddenly exploded. It frustrated her that the police were so obviously in the pocket of the city's higher ups, but there was little that she could do. The building would be replaced, the people who died buried, and the families would return. However, she wasn't about to let this all go so easily.
 
As he entered the door, he could hear sound from some sort of report. Since Max and Mr Smith was still top side, that meant only one thing, the Gracy Montgomery herself had to be in the gym.

He saw her standing at the screen, apart from the fact that her hands rested on her hips, her whole body language stated that she wasn't in the best of moods. He wasn't sure if he wanted to approach her, but since it was kind of serious, he swallowed and walked closer, only to see that on the screen they showed the ruins of a building.

He paused and studied the screen, feeling the heat and smelling the smoke once again
 
"This job doesn't end when you take off the costume." Gracie said, having heard someone come up behind her. Smith didn't make noise and the sounds were heavy, telling her that it was Alex. "Why would someone blow up a residential building? They have no money, they had no enemies. Why target it?"

She turned from the screen to stare at him for a long moment. "If you dig, you find that everyone has a reason. The reason for this is my name is attached to it."
 
Alex stared at the screen and then looked at Gracie, "Well I must admit that it does seem that way. But what if somebody tried to lure you out? Somebody who might have an idea of who you really are when you are not Gracie Montgomery."

He shrugged, "Of course you will tell me that you are not Raven anymore, but I don't think you keep yourself in this kind of shape just for the heck of it. I have this feeling that deep down inside, underneath all that hurt you carry around, you know that you want to go back out there and make the difference that you once made."

He realized that he had just spoken up about things that he should not have and that she would know that Alex had told him about her inner turmoil.

"Uhm...sorry about that. I went way out of line there."

He looked away and thought that it should be best to get to the training, unless Gracie wanted to kick him out for talking to her like that. Then he remembered about Alex and the question of staying on and earning their keep. But was this the best time to bring that up?
 
Gracie didn't show her emotion as Alex insisted that she secretly missed the job that she had once done. She didn't miss it at all. However, she did know that life had been easier for people when she had been doing it. The broken bones, sleepless nights, and pain had been worth it for that simple thought alone.

"There used to be more than just me." She said as her hands rested against her hips, her fingers digging into the fabric of her workout clothing. "Some were found out and arrested. Others are dead. I've attended too many funerals for good and decent people."
 
"And yet you did not turn Max and me in to the Police. Instead offered training."

He didn't have to say more than that, she was a smart woman, she would understand what he meant with it. He ran a hand over his face,

"OK look, the two of us are from Low town, how about the two of us go out there and try to find out what the news are on the streets? I mean we can blend in much easier than any official and we can hear more things than anybody else would hear."

He gave a slight smile, "And it may even help us to find a permanent employ with you since Max is extremely reluctant to go back to the mundane existence we had before you found us."
 
"I offered training so that the both of you wouldn't be killed through stupidity." Gracie said, staring at Max as he asked her about finding a place of employment.

"You would have to earn your spot. I have no problem giving you room and board, but I do not give money freely to those that don't work for it." Gracie said as she thought about the two of them. "You've grown up hungry. I have no doubt that you'll work just as hard for this as you have for everything before this time."
 
He wisely decided not to say anything further about their training or the fact that Gracie was just hiding away from something she was meant to do, just because she lost good friends and people. If Smith was anything to go on, she haven't lost her touch at all. He did speak up about receiving money, "Thing is, we don't want to live on your good graces. We really appreciate the room and board, but we have never received anything for free and we do not ask nor want hand-outs...well unless it is the food. So good..."

He caught himself going off-topic and shook his head slightly, "The reason we want to work for you is to be able to pay for the room and board. Of course if you find us more valuable than what we think we are, we can of course discuss it further. But again, it is up to you."
 
"You have a lot to prove." Gracie said simply, watching Alex closely as he insisted that they wanted to work in order to pay her back. "I'll discuss this all with Mr. Smith. He will find you something appropriate to do in the scheme of my business. I trust his judgement greatly on such matters."
 
"That is good enough for me. Maybe Max has something she could say to try and sway the pendulum slightly in our favor."

And with that Alex set off with the warm-up run, clearly being down there to get his mind off of something and to try and perform even better.
 
Gracie watched he start off on his jog. He wanted to work. She didn't blame him for not wanting to go back to the other side of Twin Cities. She didn't know many people who wanted to live there and those that did were usually involved in dark crimes. Both Max and Alex had a chance at a new life and she was going to make sure that they didn't mess the entire situation up.
 
Alex spent the rest of the morning working out. He jogged until he felt his legs starting to give out, then he starting on the strength training. Mr Smith appeared in his work-out clothes and they sparred, leaving Alex a gasping heap on the training mats before leaving again.

Alex managed to regain his breath and wobble towards the showers, when done, he got dressed and headed back to their "room", sinking down in a chair and looking out of the window, feeling quite sorry for himself and the situation he found himself in. Even if it wasn't the worst thing he had ever gone through.
 
"I feel as if they're both hopeless." Gracie commented, glancing across the small table at Mr. Smith as they shared lunch in her private dining area.

He had changed after sparring, back in his normal suit and tie. She often invited him for a meal, lonely from time to time, but mostly needing to talk to him about various things that were going on in her business.

"But they seem willing to learn from those that have more experience than themselves. Perhaps we shouldn't turn our back on that." She commented, eating the salad that was in front of her. "They need jobs and I offered one within the company. What kind of skills do you think they are best suited for?"
 
Mr. Smith was one of the closest people to Gracie, he knew so much about her past and the knocks that she had taken, coupled with the fact that he was her confidant, it made him one of the few people who actually knew Gracie.

He leaned back in his chair, the oatmeal half-eaten in front of him. He was a man of few words and he studied Gracie now as she ate her salad and asked for his opinion.

"Alex is a bit of a hot-head, he needs to learn to control himself. The best way for his strength to be used and to be taught humility would be in the Store room of one of the businesses. I would suggest a place which tires him out. But he also has intelligence, once we temper the anger, we can use that."

He pondered the girl, she was not quite as easy to pin down as the down-to-earth Alex.

"Max needs to work on her powers, so she needs contact with people. She needs also to strengthen her self-esteem, which is more that of a frightened child, than that of a young woman. I would suggest that you take her under your wing. Make her your assistant."
 
"I already have an assistant. Do you think that she will stand up the scrutiny of the press that loves to follow me around?" Gracie asked, looking at Mr. Smith as he mused aloud. "I think they are both foolish children. They don't understand just what they are wanting to do. Perhaps hard labor will be good for Alex, but I am unsure of Max. She seems too fragile to ever be successful at this."
 
"Children yes, foolish? Most definitely, I can not argue with that. But they also have their hearts in the right place and you know it. With or without your help, they will go out there and do what they feel is right."

He shrugged, "You have an assistant, that is true, but I did not say that you must get rid of her. Who said that you can't have two?"

He poked at his spoon with a blunt finger, "And I recall a little pig-tailed girl who was too fragile for this life as well."

He looked at Gracie, "But if you refuse to help her to overcome who she is now, how will she be ready for the reality when Alex is not there to be her rock? Can you really let her go knowing that?"
 
"Can I afford to let them both do this knowing what I went through." Gracie murmured as Mr. Smith poked at his meal, talking about the girl that she used to be. "I won't ruin their lives nor will I let their lives be destroyed. I didn't have a chance nor a choice when I was that young. I had a lot to accomplish and the money to do it."
 
He gave her a slight smile, "But knowing what you went through and knowing that they will not step from this road, is it not better to guide them instead of showing them the door, cracking it open and then wanting them to leave?"

He leaned forward now, elbows resting on the table, "You know that the world will always need justice. Wherever a person stand up in the face of adversity, there will be people waiting to bring that person down. The people who stand up and carry on, they are the champions of justice. And you know it and I know it, those two kids feel that what they are doing is right and they will not stop until they are either dead or debilitated."
 
Gracie started at him from across the table for a long moment, sighing as she placed her fork down. Her appetite was suddenly gone. She had quit her search for justice in order to help those that were in need. She was the wealthiest woman in town, the wealthiest person only behind her uncle. It was a constant battle between the both of them as to who could do the most damage and who could fix said damage. It was how it had always been.

"You were my father's best friend. You never once told me that this would be a bad idea or told me that I should stop." Gracie murmured, folding her arms over her chest. "I assume that you'll do the same for the both of them as well. If you are willing to help train them, then I suppose they can stay and learn."
 
He arched an eyebrow and picked up his spoon as he continued his meal.

"Would you have listened?"

He knew the answer, so he went on

"And I have been training them. But they need a mentor and that I am not."

He pushed his empty bowl away and picked up his juice, looking at the yellow liquid.

"It is a pity that so many people in Lowtown has no idea what food, cold drink or juice taste like. And to stand up from that squalor and wanting to make a difference..."

He drank his juice and placed the empty glass on the table.
 
Back
Top