The SCOURIES reader – for both fans and serious scholars…

Status
Not open for further replies.
fcdc said:
Thanks! My favorite modern horror writer is Ramsey Campbell, and Campbell borrows very heavily from Lovecraft, so that's probably where I got it from (I like a lot of Lovecraft's stories too; my favorites are probably Pickman's Model and The Thing on the Doorstep for straight storytelling and The Colour out of Space for sheer wtf? factor).

My favorite old-timey horror writer is Robert W. Chambers, from whom I probably borrow a fair amount of influence as well. The King in Yellow is fucking terrifying.

Thanks. I know it's thick prose, but as I was working with mythological elements, I figured the thickness and dream imagery-influenced language was warranted.

My favourite Lovecraft story is The Shadow Out of Time. I quite liked In The Mountains Of Madness as well.

poppy1963 said:
There's nothin' you can do...lol. It's just all so interesting~! The things people do to get their needs/wants met. As my career primarily has been in the behavioral sciences I am very fascinated by such things wherever I "go". :D

Behavioral? So, what do you think of B.F. Skinner?

yevkassem72 said:
Behavioral? So, what do you think of B.F. Skinner?
I think he was kind of a control freak...not someone I studied with delight...operant conditioning certainly has some merit tho! LOL. I identified with the pigeons in his pigeon/suspicion experiments.

poppy1963 said:
I think he was kind of a control freak...not someone I studied with delight...operant conditioning certainly has some merit tho! LOL. I identified with the pigeons in his pigeon/suspicion experiments.

Hehehe, you really know this science, eh? ;)

yevkassem72 said:
Hehehe, you really know this science, eh? ;)

I used to! But towards the end I was focussed on those theories and methodologies that I felt helped others modify their behavior best...behavior that caused them problems. I did a lot of psychiatry-related stuff, Cognitive work and Family Systems (all with a little Gestalt meshed in there...:) )

But Skinner....his methods with the pigeons...used a lot here at Lit by a certain group of people (whether they realize it or not)...Skinner was just fuckin' with those pigeons but he DID have a good understanding of them/us (as individuals) I think in ways...just not of the universe and systems as much.

poppy1963 said:
I used to! But towards the end I was focussed on those theories and methodologies that I felt helped others modify their behavior best...behavior that caused them problems. I did a lot of psychiatry-related stuff, Cognitive work and Family Systems (all with a little Gestalt meshed in there...:) )

But Skinner....his methods with the pigeons...used a lot here at Lit by a certain group of people (whether they realize it or not)...Skinner was just fuckin' with those pigeons but he DID have a good understanding of them/us (as individuals) I think in ways...just not of the universe and systems as much.

Hmmm....interesting.

Dale_Arden said:
That was Thorndike. Skinner was mean to pigeons, rats, and his daughter.

LOL...looks like there are some betta Skinner Scholars than me here...but he WAS mean to those pigeons wasnt' he? But their instincts, in my opinion, were correct! We each DO have such an influence in many things that happen not only to us....but to others as well! Oh well...this is for another thread I think...lol...or maybe not! :D

Scribbled said:
All 2 comments? I'm impressed. All the proper grammar in the world which the author prides herself in couldn't save this story from being mediocre. Maybe scouries could though.

Scouries,

You are more than welcome to post your opinions in the story thread that I have set up in the discussion circle. Considering that it was my first full-fledged story up here, that it's a hard story to read compared to something faster and less surrealistic, and that I do not have a fanbase, I consider 14 votes and 2 comments something to be proud of. It attracted 2 more readers who thought enough of it to comment, and 14 more readers who thought enough of it to vote, than it would have attracted sitting on my hard drive!

I suggest the author enlist his assistance in making this a story that someone besides the author's mother would read.

Are you offering your help? Feel free to critique in the story discussion circle, provided it is relevant, valid, useful critique. I eagerly await your constructive criticism!

As for offering to help me change the story, though, I will have to respectfully decline. I like its tone of voice and what it represents just fine. Our goals in writing are entirely different, and that's cool, but dude, cool it with the ego.

PS: Anytime you want to throw down in a battle of incest stories, I am ready, willing, and able to write. Say the word.

Last edited:
Scribbled said:
I found an enlightening critique of your book at mrsgiggles.com.

An excerpt: "The divergence between literary aspirations (pretentions, perhaps) and me wanting a dirty old time reading a jolly filthy story widens throughout the anthology for pretty much most of the time. Many of these stories aren't sexy as much as they are a display of just how long the author can make his or her running sentences (and in some cases, on and on). Many authors here place too much emphasis on using languid and airy-fairy prose to describe the sex act, as if they want me to believe that sex is taking place on some metaphysical plane or something. I find myself wanting some rough and dirty playful moments. I want a couple who can slather themselves with chocolate to really talk dirty and do dirty things instead of performing overly-choreographed X-rated acts like they are on some pretentious off-Broadway play attended by six people (the playwright's friends)."

It seems to me that scouries should be denigrating you people for writing crap like that instead of you lambasting him for writing "stroke" stories as you put it.

Now I see that "Coming Together" was originally self-published via CafePress. LOL. You don't think scouries could do that too with his stories? And rant "I'm published!" like you people do?

Scribbled said:
Now I see that "Coming Together" was originally self-published via CafePress. LOL. You don't think scouries could do that too with his stories? And rant "I'm published!" like you people do?

LOL.

Script registration: WGA East

LOLLERSKATES.

The Academy of American Poets

LOLLERCOPTER.

ADRIENNE RICH AND DONALD HALL ARE SELF-PUBLISHED HACKS!

Furthermore, if scouries could do what Cloudy did with his stories, publish something on Cafepress, then why doesn't he? Surely his small army of readers would buy out the store!

PS Incest challenge. One week from whenever you say "Go." No subject matter restrictions, no nothing. We'll submit them to a mod (your pick) and have them post them both stripped of authorial details, and then we'll let the masses decide which is better. Sound good?

fcdc said:
PS Incest challenge. One week from whenever you say "Go." No subject matter restrictions, no nothing. We'll submit them to a mod (your pick) and have them post them both stripped of authorial details, and then we'll let the masses decide which is better. Sound good?

I'm so hoping this will happen, but you and I both know it won't. :D

(I'd join in if I could get over my gag reflex about incest)

sweetsubsarahh said:
Not even sister incest?

One tall and lean with long black hair, one a bit shorter, more curvy with reddish-brown tangles?

:catroar:

That has definite possibilities. :catroar:

sweetsubsarahh said:
Not even sister incest?

One tall and lean with long black hair, one a bit shorter, more curvy with reddish-brown tangles?

:catroar:
Ooh... :devil:

fcdc said:

Well, should scouries accept the challenge I think the broad category of Incest should be narrowed down a bit. I know! Brother/sister. The brother is a famous erotica author with one of his many stories having over 6,000 votes. The sister is a sanctimonius wannabe erotica writer who has only one story with 14 votes. And there should be a Nonconsent element to it so as to make the contest even more challenging. The brother keeps saying, "I wouldn't fuck you with my father's dick." To which the sister keeps responding, "But I'm published!"

Scouries, I thought of a title for your book of stories--If Not for Incest, None of Us Would Be Here. And I will be your agent. Not only will you be able to rant and rave "I'm published!" but you can add "And I have an agent!"

Scribbled said:
Well, should scouries accept the challenge I think the broad category of Incest should be narrowed down a bit. I know! Brother/sister. The brother is a famous erotica author with one of his many stories having over 6,000 votes. The sister is a sanctimonius wannabe erotica writer who has only one story with 14 votes. And there should be a Nonconsent element to it so as to make the contest even more challenging. The brother keeps saying, "I wouldn't fuck you with my father's dick." To which the sister keeps responding, "But I'm published!"

Scouries, I thought of a title for your book of stories--If Not for Incest, None of Us Would Be Here. And I will be your agent. Not only will you be able to rant and rave "I'm published!" but you can add "And I have an agent!"

I thought maybe you would take up the challenge, since you're so self-righteous and all.

I suppose you're too scared, though. Figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back