Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Handley, most people know what pastoral means, but I posted the second entry due to its wonderful definition, which was just too good to pass up.

Welcome, MichaelinChina. I am not familiar with the word you posted, so I looked it up;

palimpsest - noun writing material (as a parchment or tablet) used one or more times after earlier writing has been erased

Yes, Handley, most people know what pastoral means, but I posted the second entry due to its wonderful definition, which was just too good to pass up.

Welcome, MichaelinChina. I am not familiar with the word you posted, so I looked it up;

palimpsest - noun writing material (as a parchment or tablet) used one or more times after earlier writing has been erased

sorry I forgot to include the meaning..yes Tio, knowing my friends they thought long and hard about the name. Certainly different from the usual rural property names in Oz...or anywhere.

sorry I forgot to include the meaning..yes Tio, knowing my friends they thought long and hard about the name. Certainly different from the usual rural property names in Oz...or anywhere.

I assumed they saw themselves as writing their own text over that which had gone before. I suspect there's an interesting story in that.

Hello, Allard. :)

I assumed they saw themselves as writing their own text over that which had gone before. I suspect there's an interesting story in that.

Hello, Allard. :)

There may be a plot bunny there...

Someone who sees her/his significant other as a palimpsest.

Hello, Tio dear.

MichaelinChina, don't worry about missing the definition. I do prefer if you post it, but not everyone does. Palimpsest is an interesting word and concept. The Buddhists monks travel to Mt. Shasta every year and always do a huge sand painting, which is completely swept away at the end of their ceremony, showing the impermanence of life, of course.

pastille also pastil - noun 1. a small mass of aromatic paste for fumigating or scenting the air of a room 2. an aromatic or medicated lozenge: TROCHE

Last edited:
There may be a plot bunny there...

Someone who sees her/his significant other as a palimpsest.

Definitely, Carlus...

She comes to him, inked as fully as Lydia, but it's not his story. And she comes again, every night to his parlour and they make love. And each night he inks their love-making onto the palimpsest of her flesh. But her past is always with her. He must write his story onto, into, and around the tales already inked...

OK...I'll store that one away for some free time.

MichaelinChina, sorry if I forgot to mention that this a backwards thread, from Z to A.

pasteboard(1) - noun 1. paperboard made by pasting together two or more sheets of paper; broadly: PAPERBOARD 2.a. VISITING CARD b. PLAYING CARD c. TICKET

pasteboard(2) - adj 1. made of pasteboard 2. SHAM, UNSUBSTANIAL

Definitely, Carlus...

She comes to him, inked as fully as Lydia, but it's not his story. And she comes again, every night to his parlour and they make love. And each night he inks their love-making onto the palimpsest of her flesh. But her past is always with her. He must write his story onto, into, and around the tales already inked...

OK...I'll store that one away for some free time.

There might also be some erasing, as they remake themselves for each other...

One of the interesting aspects of a palimpest is that it is impossible to completely erase what was written earlier. The marks show through.

Many classical texts were only recovered because they were palimpests, overwritten by monks with later religious writings.

Og, it seems like the same thing happened with canvases for paintings. Several works have been found under existing paintings, which I find so interesting, and also thrifty of the painters.

passim - adv here and there

Og, it seems like the same thing happened with canvases for paintings. Several works have been found under existing paintings, which I find so interesting, and also thrifty of the painters.

passim - adv here and there

But mostly, I suspect, it circumvents the pain of stretching another canvas...

Hullo, you. :kiss: What a lovely name for a property. Like Ogg is saying about documentary palimpsests, I guess we leave traces of our occupation where we've lived.

Allard, I would love to see the pictures of the Buddha Garden. I would like to have a buddha in our garden, since Piglet and I are bad buddhists (we will squash greenfly rather than suffer them on our roses!), but they are expensive. And in the Japanese garden tradition, we ought to find something which other people think is just rubbish and rehabilitate it rather than pay a lot of money for a statue. I have a story about the perfect Zen stone garden which I'll write up after the Easter holidays and post in HP's humour thread.

Pétillant - sparkling, the French word we've picked up to use about wines. (I only speak of wines from Champagne, of course ;).)

A pleasant good day to you all, those who celebrate Good Friday, and those who don't. I was raised a bohemian but married an Italian Catholic, and was baptized into the Church. The first Good Friday I attended with my mother-in-law was a shock. After we went through all the stations of the cross, praying at every stop, then came the veneration of the cross. The deacons hauled a huge wooden cross up the center aisle and we all lined up to kiss it. For a newcomer, it was a strange experience, surrounded by so many who had done all this so many times before, it seemed rote.

passeul - noun a solo dance or dance figure

...surrounded by so many who had done all this so many times before, it seemed rote.

I've found that the Roman Catholic Church has a fixation on the appearance of being holy—and, as a consequence, often overlooks what might be truly holy.

Not to mention what might be truly unholy.

You are correct, Og, it is pas seul and I don't know why I saw it otherwise. Thanks so much for posting both of those ballets, I do love the ballet, and you are fortunate to be able to attend such wonderful productions. I do envy you at times.

Yes, Carlus and Handley, after a few years of the same thing, over and over, again and again, with little new breath coming into the church, I became disillusioned and went back to my bohemian ways. Of course, our priest putting his hands in exactly the right places to feel the sides of my breasts during his hugs might have added to the problem.

passe-partout - noun 1. something that passes or enables one to pass everywhere: MASTER KEY 2.a. MAT(5) b. a method of framing in which a picture, a mat, a glass, and a back (as of cardboard) are held together by strips of paper or cloth pasted over the edges 3. a strong paper gummed on one side used esp. for mounting pictures

You are correct, Og, it is pas seul and I don't know why I saw it otherwise. Thanks so much for posting both of those ballets, I do love the ballet, and you are fortunate to be able to attend such wonderful productions. I do envy you at times.

Yes, Carlus and Handley, after a few years of the same thing, over and over, again and again, with little new breath coming into the church, I became disillusioned and went back to my bohemian ways. Of course, our priest putting his hands in exactly the right places to feel the sides of my breasts during his hugs might have added to the problem.

passe-partout - noun 1. something that passes or enables one to pass everywhere: MASTER KEY 2.a. MAT(5) b. a method of framing in which a picture, a mat, a glass, and a back (as of cardboard) are held together by strips of paper or cloth pasted over the edges 3. a strong paper gummed on one side used esp. for mounting pictures

And Passepartout is a character in Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days.

You mean women catch on when I try to cop repeated feels? Even though I'm not a priest? Who woulda thunk?

Carlus, I suppose this happens to women with larger breasts more often, but I always know when I am being felt up, or sort of felt up, and I either object or smile depending on the groper. In the priest's case, my look was of surprise, followed by the wry smile of discovery.

passementerie - noun a fancy edging or trimming made of braid, cord, gimp, beading, or metallic thread in various combinations

My grandmother used to use this term and I have not heard it since;

passel - noun a large number: GROUP

Trysail, I might read "passel of people" in something written quite a while ago, but rarely hear it spoken. Maybe, it is just way Northern California that has forgotten poor ole passel. Overall, people do have a limited vocabulary here and even that seems to be shrinking.

passacaglia - noun 1.a. an old Italian or Spanish dance tune b. an instrumental musical composition consisting of variations usu. on a ground bass in moderately slow triple time 2. an old dance performed to a passacaglia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back