Getting slammed by anonymous critics

I've dabbled in LW category, and in the last month or so, read a ton, while working on two big stories about cheating. What I've found out about the category and the readers comments comes down to this:

1. If there's extra-marital action, and they're both happy with it and respectful, you're not going to get too much grief, and you have a chance to get a good score.
  2. If the husband cheats, and it's not done to humiliate or punish the wife, especially if he doesn't get caught, again, no grief, and decent scores.
  3. If the woman cheats, someone's going to be unhappy, and you'll see it in the comments and scores. Within this category you mostly have:

a) BTB. Burn the bitch. She cheats, he gets over the top revenge. The BTB crowd will still give you a little grief, because no matter what you do, it's never enough. You can still get a red "H" but rarely above a 4.60. Read Stangstar06 to see how to handle this crowd.

b) Reconciliation. If they get back together for any reason, the BTB crowd will cry foul. Very good chance you'll be compared to Matt Moreau who is the reigning poster boy for "RAAC" Reconciliation at any cost.

* If the reconciliation takes a LONG time, and the woman is faithful the whole time, and the man screws around, and goes back to his 'true love' you might get away with reconciliation. That seems to be the one time it's allowed.

* There are 2 types of BTB. 1) Get over without doing anything physical to her, and nothing deadly to the guy. This does a little better than 2) Kill, torture, and destroy everything. Leave her in a mexican brothel, or with Aids.

c) The wife wins. A lot of women will love it, but you'll get a buttload of comments from both the BTB and RAAC crowd. A lot of JustPlainBob will show you how this works out.

d) Cuckolding. Heaven forbid the wife cheats and humiliates her husband, and he goes along with it. Prepare for some serious butt-rash, and you'll be luck if your story scores above a 4.00. That only if it's very well written. In the cheating genre, willing cuckolds are lower than pond scum. Search for any author with 'cuckold' in their name to see how this works.

e) BBC. If it's a big-black-cock, size thing, and it's in loving wives and not in interracial, it's another doomsday. Leave the scoring off

It's worth mentioning that in the 'wife cheating' category, it doesn't have to be sex. Kissing and heavy petting are 'emotional cheating' and if you don't Burn-the-bitch, the BTB crowd will be after you.

There's more to it than that, and some nuances and stories like "When we were married." that can break the mold, and 'loving wives' sub-chapters within larger stories where that's not the main emphasis, but the above probably covers 95% of the LW category. If you've decided to work in the 'cheating' arena, now you know what's coming your way. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Then again, I've only read about 1000 of them (no exaggeration) in the last several weeks. I never ventured into the cheating realm before, and wanted an idea of what was going on. Eye opening.

I know that my two stories are in deep trouble, at least comments wise. I'm definitely jumping in with both feet into the woman cheats category. Oh well.

Dabbled, of course. Which is why The Accidental Nudist Cabin's been one of the top ranked stories in the category for how long?

You left out a fairly substantial sub-category in what the BTB crowd calls "TLW" stories.

I think it's funny how some authors have developed reputations with the category's readership that don't seem all that grounded in the stories they've actually written. Ohio getting comments calling him a RAAC writer, for instance - although maybe that's just an example of "no matter what you do, it's never enough" for the BTB crowd?

This isn't so much a complaint as a WTF moment...

Has anyone had a commenter follow them through their whole story list and leave really irrelevant comments?

I've never had a cross-story comment troll. However, I did have a really weird thing on one of my stories whereby an anonymous commentator came back every couple of months to post the same thing in the comments section. It was really obvious it was the same person, because even though they worded their comment differently each time it was always the exact same two very specific complaints about the story posted with the same writing style. It took me ages to realise, as the story has 50 comments, so they got interspersed amongst other genuine comments.

Have you ever had a forum poster transfer exact, highly personal phrases in a forum slam over onto one or more of your stories? I have. And posting as anonymous. Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. :D

Dabbled, of course. Which is why The Accidental Nudist Cabin's been one of the top ranked stories in the category for how long?

You left out a fairly substantial sub-category in what the BTB crowd calls "TLW" stories.

I think it's funny how some authors have developed reputations with the category's readership that don't seem all that grounded in the stories they've actually written. Ohio getting comments calling him a RAAC writer, for instance - although maybe that's just an example of "no matter what you do, it's never enough" for the BTB crowd?

Damn. Caught me on the "Truly Loving Wives". Sad thing is, those stories don't seem to score all that high. I wonder why. What's so wrong with a wife that is seduced but doesn't cheat? At least the comments aren't usually despicable.

As for Ohio, I think the problem was that so many of his earliest stories were all reconciliation stories, with some pretty unforgivable cheating. Back in 2005/2006, if you listed his stories, they were somewhat predictable. House of Cards, I Hate Surprises, Twenty Minutes, Looking Right At It. Cheating wives, who were for the most part happy to be cheating until they got caught. Didn't want to wreck the families, so after a couple of chapters (or numerous chapters as in House of Cards) and enough penance by the wife, she was forgiven and they lived happily ever after. Cue the BTB crowd.

He's a great writer, with interesting plots, and the ability to portray the man's pain quite nicely. Maybe too nicely. His stories back then all scored the same. Hot Hot Hot NOT. The final chapter was a let down to the BTB crowd, and they've never forgiven him for it. You read something like Scenes from a Marriage, short and so powerful, and no reconciliation. Her Blue Minivan (or something like that) was similar, but longer. But the reputation is set, and hard to get away from.

Doesn't matter to me. I love his stuff, and have read everything of his, most of them 2 or 3 times. Great friggin' writer. One of the best 2 or 3 in the genre.

As for 'dabbling' in the LW category, I have written a couple of stories and several chapters in my longer stories, but they have mostly avoided the 'cheating wife' area, and have been more about Romance, or part of a bigger story. I'm working on several stories (5 at last count) that will change that and I fully expect to be excoriated for it. Let the fun begin...

Damn. Caught me on the "Truly Loving Wives". Sad thing is, those stories don't seem to score all that high. I wonder why. What's so wrong with a wife that is seduced but doesn't cheat? At least the comments aren't usually despicable.

The authors I think of first in that sub-category (patricia51 and Harddaysknight) tended to be trying to incorporate humor or plot twists/surprise endings. Lower scores could be related to people disliking or not understanding that aspect of the stories. As examples, I think the weak explanation at the end of "Here, There, and Everywhere" severely mars an otherwise excellent story, and some of the commenters clearly thought "Busted" and "His Affair, Her Affair" telegraphed the endings too much (on the other hand, I'm a big fan of all the hints along the way in "BAM").

As for Ohio, I think the problem was that so many of his earliest stories were all reconciliation stories, with some pretty unforgivable cheating. Back in 2005/2006, if you listed his stories, they were somewhat predictable. House of Cards, I Hate Surprises, Twenty Minutes, Looking Right At It. Cheating wives, who were for the most part happy to be cheating until they got caught. Didn't want to wreck the families, so after a couple of chapters (or numerous chapters as in House of Cards) and enough penance by the wife, she was forgiven and they lived happily ever after. Cue the BTB crowd.

He's a great writer, with interesting plots, and the ability to portray the man's pain quite nicely. Maybe too nicely. His stories back then all scored the same. Hot Hot Hot NOT. The final chapter was a let down to the BTB crowd, and they've never forgiven him for it. You read something like Scenes from a Marriage, short and so powerful, and no reconciliation. Her Blue Minivan (or something like that) was similar, but longer. But the reputation is set, and hard to get away from.

Doesn't matter to me. I love his stuff, and have read everything of his, most of them 2 or 3 times. Great friggin' writer. One of the best 2 or 3 in the genre.

I didn't read anything in the LW category really until last spring and didn't read his stories in the order they were written (his continuation of Ari was the first I read, that's all I remember), but checking the dates it looks like in '06 he wrote about a half-dozen non-reconciliation stories. So, huh.

Last edited:
Should be members to vote and post.

I have only been readinng here for about a year and I read a lot of great stories that get trashed by anonymous readers. It seems that they constantly pick on a few authors.

I think the website should be setup so you can't vote or submit comments unless you are aregistered member.

Some scores on stories I read are way too high, it appears there are a group of authors that always have hundreds of votes and anonymous positive comments, makes me wonder if they are all posting and voting anonymously for each other?

If everyone had to be a member, we could see.

I have only been readinng here for about a year and I read a lot of great stories that get trashed by anonymous readers. It seems that they constantly pick on a few authors.

I think the website should be setup so you can't vote or submit comments unless you are aregistered member.

Some scores on stories I read are way too high, it appears there are a group of authors that always have hundreds of votes and anonymous positive comments, makes me wonder if they are all posting and voting anonymously for each other?

that'd take the fun out of it all. i like the comments i get on LW. :D

Thing I have never understood is even with a handle we're all anonymous. Unless of course your name really is "likewhatshot" I have no idea who you are , so I have no clue why they allow "anonymous" in the first place.

When I see exceptionally nasty remarks and get them across the board around the same time and they are anon, sometimes I wonder if they are another author who of course would never use their name for fear of retaliation.

Assholes everywhere, this site and everywhere else. Cowards too. If you don't have the balls to put your name after your opinion, then why should I give a shit what you think, coward?

Whenever I get a harsh comment from someone under "anonymous" (of course, I get none from other) I usually just delete it. Does anyone else do that? What do you think of just getting rid of the comment altogether?

I don't know how many readers go straight to the comments section of a story before actually reading the story, so I don't know that it reall matters that I do it. I just do it. I post on here for the hell of it and if I don't appreciate a comment, and I can't reply to that person because I don't know who it is, then I'm just going to delete the comment. Is this a proper way to handle the situation?

Whenever I get a harsh comment from someone under "anonymous" (of course, I get none from other) I usually just delete it. Does anyone else do that? What do you think of just getting rid of the comment altogether?

That's your choice. I don't delete very many of them, no. But we often have a thread running here on that question. So you might want to go get some refreshments and get comfortable.

I don't know how many readers go straight to the comments section of a story before actually reading the story, so I don't know that it reall matters that I do it. I just do it. I post on here for the hell of it and if I don't appreciate a comment, and I can't reply to that person because I don't know who it is, then I'm just going to delete the comment. Is this a proper way to handle the situation?

I never go straight to the comments of a story, but sometimes I look through the feedback portal and is I see a good one or a really stupid negative comment I'll click the story.

And you can choose to delete them. My personal opinion is that is empowering the troll because it will make them think they got to you.

But that is only one opinion and its all up to the author.

If you feel those reasons are valid, that's fine for you--and certainly something for others to consider. The flip side is that the Web site doesn't do any of this guilt tripping, so anyone who wants to avail themselves of the erase button has the support of what the Web site enables.

I don't have all that many negative comments on my stories and haven't deleted more than a handfull of them. But I've deleted any that I've wanted to and no reader has noticed and I only once had to delete one twice to get the heckler to go away (and that one was e-mailing too). That they want their work to be seen and will go away if it gets erased is just as valid a view of what happens in reality as is that they will keep on heckling or that the author should feel any sort of guilt about erasing any comment they don't like on their stories. This is a "read for pleasure" site. It's not set up to be a "you gotta listen to criticism" site.

That's why I say, "To each his own." I think the site serves many different purposes, for many different people. For me, it's both a "read for pleasure" and "listen to criticism" site. I've gotta be honest, although I've written for myself for several years, I am inexperienced when it comes to fiction made available to the public. The reason I am posting my current work here is, in large part, to get criticism of what works and what doesn't, so as to improve my overall authorship, both for my Literotica readers and of the sake of some more serious fiction I am writing on the side and have no intention of posting for free.

The way I see it, those readers who are sticking with my story and I exist in a sort of exchange: They get some entertainment, and I get some feedback to improve my work. If I didn't read and acknowledge the good and bad feedback, I'd only be holding out on myself. But that's just me, and I have no intention of implying that others should necessarily follow suit.

Plus, I like exchanges of ideas surrounding my stories (it is so much fun to see how characters are being perceived, and where readers think the story is going). I don't want to potentially squash any of that with deleting comments unless they are inherently toxic.

HisPet21

You have the right idea and you will get some constructive comments either publicly or through the private feedback option. You may have to weed through the "you sucks" to get it, but its there.

I certainly will just delete anonymous comments that obviously are from someone just spilling out from forum posts, as I did just now--and will do so the next time the "voice" is so recognizable as well.

Last edited:
Assholes everywhere, this site and everywhere else. Cowards too. If you don't have the balls to put your name after your opinion, then why should I give a shit what you think, coward?

I agree completely. Half the time their comments show they don't even get the story to begin with.

I have no problem deleting vicious comments

The way I look at it, it's like washing off shit that somebody's thrown at me. Why should I leave it on me just because I think they might do it again? That's just masochistic. On the other hand, I'm okay with a negative but respectful comment. I don't put up with disrespect in any other part of my life; why should I put up with it here?

I don't mind anonymous feedback in the public comments section below the story. I am posting stories online in a public forum and that sort of thing comes with the territory. The one thing I don't like is that an anonymous troll can send me a message that goes straight to my personal email box that I cannot respond to. I like that someone can send me a personal message regarding a story but I do think that only registered users should be able to use that feature.

I don't mind anonymous feedback in the public comments section below the story. I am posting stories online in a public forum and that sort of thing comes with the territory. The one thing I don't like is that an anonymous troll can send me a message that goes straight to my personal email box that I cannot respond to. I like that someone can send me a personal message regarding a story but I do think that only registered users should be able to use that feature.

The anonymous e-mails that bug me are the ones where they ask questions I'd like to respond to--but give no way of responding.

The anonymous e-mails that bug me are the ones where they ask questions I'd like to respond to--but give no way of responding.

Ditto, those are frustrating especially when its a great question or suggestion.

I agree, I welcome the votes and comments, that is part of the functionality of the site. I do not delete the anonymous comments that are negative, it tends to reveal who voted (repeatedly) with one and why. On the opposite side I have received a few great comments from anonymous folks in both in my email and under comments that I wish I could reply to direct. I am divided if only registered users should be able to email or not, I just delete the negative rants as pointless since they offer no means for dialogue.

Back