Flashfic thread: Rotating themes

How many posts to change the topic?


  • Total voters
    54
Everyone thinks they understand terror. They think of terror in terms of phobias. They may fear spiders, heights, clowns, baby dolls, Hell, there's even a phobia of beautiful women. But thats not real terror. Warriors know real terror, on the battlefield, you and the enemy, your buddies dying around you. Kill or be killed.(54) When all you can see is your family crying, your mama broken hearted at burying her baby, When you can end at any time, and nothing for you to do except keep truckin', and saying that rosary a hundred times a minute in your head. Thats terror.

(100)
 
2/10 Terror

She got up to use the bathroom at 2 a.m. and stopped to check on the baby on her way back to bed.

The little daybed was empty with no evidence of the child anywhere in the room. The mother’s heart leapt into her throat. There’d been a story in the news about a girl kidnapped from her own bedroom while the family slept.

The mother started for the door to wake her husband then stopped short. She turned and looked at the bed.

“Emma?”

Lifting the dust ruffle, she found her baby fast asleep under the bed, wrapped in her little quilt.
 
Terror
3 out of 10

The sound of breaking glass woke me up that night. I sat upright in bed, listening. Had I dreamt it? No. Another crash. A small piece of glass joined the shards on the floor. Then the unmistakable snick of the outdated deadbolt being unlocked. The brass doorknob, noisy at the best of times, rattled as it was turned. The wooden door slammed back and bounced off the wall, kicked open by an unseen foot. The broken glass crunched underfoot as heavy footsteps approached the daybed where I was frozen, like a rabbit caught in the gaze of a hungry wolf.

(100)
 
Terror
4 of 10

Holding as much food as she could carry, she crept across the open space, alert for any movement, any sound. She was close to safety, but remained watchful. Reaching the protection of an arch, she rested. Hearing the rumble of a Hunter's breathing, she froze in terror, eyes darting, seeking an escape. She ran behind a pillar, but the Hunter saw her. It's claws slashed the pillar as she ran for another, then another. The Hunter followed, snarling. She made a dash to an opening and safety, the frustrated growls fading.

Content, the female mouse nibbled on a bread crust.

(100 even)
 
Terror
5 of 10

It was a man with a black scarf covering his features. All she could see were two eyes - filled with hatred. He was looking straight at her. Her gaze skittered over the khaki shirt, the rifle pointing up into the air and the grenade he was holding.

"Come on," she whispered to her son, her gaze not wavering from the figure about a 100 metres from them.

"Mom, I'm scared," her son whispered back.

"Hush. Just keep walking."

They reached the end of the street, each step seeming like in slow motion, and finally turned the corner.

That was when she heard the explosion.

(100)
 
damppanties said:
Terror
5 of 10

It was a man with a black scarf covering his features. All she could see were two eyes - filled with hatred. He was looking straight at her. Her gaze skittered over the khaki shirt, the rifle pointing up into the air and the grenade he was holding.

"Come on," she whispered to her son, her gaze not wavering from the figure about a 100 metres from them.

"Mom, I'm scared," her son whispered back.

"Hush. Just keep walking."

They reached the end of the street, each step seeming like in slow motion, and finally turned the corner.

That was when she heard the explosion.

(100)

Well done, dampie!

Welcome to the thread. :D

Okay, who's next?
 
Terror 6/10
(I'm cheating here, this is old- but so appropriate)

lyrics; TEASE ME

With a snap of your fingers
Bring me to my knees
Your eyes freeze me
A cold cold sweat
Ooh...
I fear you when you Tease Me...

in the flick of your fingers
raise the tempest
That drowns my heart
drown my heart
Ooh...
I fear you when you Tease Me...


Do you have to be so cruel
You know it’s only you
So hard, so hard
Just tell me what to do
I’m begging you begging you begging you
Look baby look I’m on the floor
I can’t take no more
I surrender I’m yours
Tease Me...
 
Terror
7 out of 10

He could see the house, dark and spooky and scary, backlit against the night sky every time the lightning flashed. He knew it was merely an illusion but he swore the house got closer and closer and would soon be only thing he’d be able to see. The wind had picked up, too. The creaking and scratching of brittle tree limbs filled his ears. Soon, it would be raining. He could almost feel the icy drops down the back of his neck. He screamed as he felt the hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, do you want any more popcorn, doofus?”

(100)
 
damppanties said:
Thank you. :) This wasn't my first post on the thread, but I was absent for a bit.

Whoops. Sorry dampie. My bad. :eek:

Welcome back to the thread. :D

Okay, whose next?
 
TE999 said:
Whoops. Sorry dampie. My bad. :eek:

Welcome back to the thread. :D

Okay, whose next?
Heh. You don't need to be sorry.

Btw, that was a really professional bump. :D
 
glynndah said:
Rats! I thought you had one posted.

I'm workin' on one right now. :D

We need a new topic.

This one's dragging it's leg. Metaphorically speaking of course. ;)
 
TE999 said:
I'm workin' on one right now. :D

We need a new topic.

This one's dragging it's leg. Metaphorically speaking of course. ;)
Yep. I'm saving up all my terror for the Halloween contest. The good little witch really isn't very scary. (Pay no attention to any stray sixth-graders who know me and might have a very different opinion.)

And, anyway, I wrote two.
 
Terror
8 of 10

She screamed in terror as the car swerved violently, her equally terrified companions screaming too. Careening into a sharp curve, she thought they were going over the edge, but the car righted itself and hurtled on. She wanted to take control, but couldn't from where she was sitting. Besides she wasn't sure she couldn't handle the car anyway. Another curve approached and she shut her eyes. Suddenly they were roaring downhill at a speed that took her breath away. Miraculously, the car rolled to a stop. She got out on wobbly legs. She would never ride that roller coaster again.

(100 even)
 
9 of 10 terror

Night terrors they call them. Those times in the dark watches of night, when you awaken screaming, all rationale lost in the dark, cold grip of utter horror. You don’t know why, you cant know why. The terror grips you when your armour is down, your defenses at their weakest. When in the depths of nightmare your most primal fears are accessed, without rhyme or reason. But for me it isn’t the darkness that triggers my horror. It is the memory of actions and deeds long since passed, suppressed by my conscious mind. There is nothing terrifying about the night.

(100)
 
10 of 10 terror

I awoke with a start, the same dream as before. The same sense of utter helplessness, as I watched everything I care about go away. I got out of my bed, fumbling for the stairs to lead me up away from my room. The clock read 3:00, the witching hour some call it. With these nightmares, waking me up at the same time, I’m beginning to believe them. I pour beans into the old grinder and hold it down. I poured the sweet powder into the filter and turned on the coffee. I lit my cigarette, and poured a cup.

(100)

new topic, The Sword.
 
1/10 The Sword

The creatures didn’t cry or even look alarmed or afraid. They simply lay on the floor kicking their arms and legs, watching her with their ugly, dead eyes.

The only way to eliminate hybrids is to sever their heads.

She looked at the creature closest to her feet and, using both hands, raised her sword above her head. She couldn’t do it. She must do it. But they were babies. Hot, angry tears rolled down her cheeks. They were not babies. They were monsters. At war with herself, Tara howled—a piercing primal scream of anguish—and lowered her sword.

(A bit of a cheat with some minor adjustments from my favorite sword-wielding chick.)
 
The Sword 2/10

Arthur approached the sword cautiously. It seemed at once beautiful and immovable.

“It matters not,” he muttered. “I shall be King of the Britons. I shall invite knights from near and far to join me.”

“Here now, what are you doing here?” A crone emerged from a nearby hovel.

“I have come to pull the sword from the stone!”

“The what from the what? Thomas, you scamp, did you make a fake sword and stone? You are in so much trouble, young man.”

Just then a roar arose from the nearby public square.

“All hail Phil, King of the Britons!”
 
3 of 10 The Sword.

Observe closely the sword. It is the symbol of war and of honour. Note the length of the blade, its balance. It’s sharpened edges taper to the deadly point. An ancient and respected weapon, used from the frozen lands of Norway and the cliffs of Ireland, to the deserts of Egypt, to the islands of Indonesia and the Philippines, to the blood soaked fields of Japan. A great sword was said to have a spirit of its own. The sword was special, used for parrying and attacking, defending and killing. Oaths were sworn upon it, and honour satisfied by it.
 
4 of 10 - the sword

He holds the firm iron rod, running fingers along the blade. Then he plunges it deep into the fire’s mouth. Red coals embrace its length. He waits, as the furnace claims the rigid pole, turns it red. Then pulls it roughly out onto the anvil. His grip is steady, as he pounds the hammer down. With each stroke he releases a deep grunt. Sweat rolls down his brow. Satisfied, he takes up the sword and plunges into a pool of water. Steam blankets the room. His wife grabs the hilt, grinds the blade over the stone. The sword’s almost complete.

~100
 
5 of 10
The Sword

99 drew his sword as his opponents charged. What were 17th Century Cavalier's doing here?

TMA Intelligence determined that Rectifier agents would take advantage of the tangled timelines to infiltrate; but what was this? He felt shoulder blades brush his own and grinned.

"I have your back. Three are mine," Agent Crystal said steadily.

"I have four," 99 replied. "Evenly matched..."

Crystal began to sing a battle song. Her contralto voice thrilling to 99. With a clash of steel, the Cavalier's attacked. 99 skewered one as he heard a gurgling scream from behind him. Crystal had drawn blood. Five left.

(100 even)

[An excerpt from the forthcoming Agent 99 adventure 'A Rupture In Time'.]
 
6 of 10 the sword

“Yarrrrr…” he grabbed the girl around the waist. His sword slipped through her skirt’s slit.

She tried to pull away, “Ya, survey dog!”

“I wanted me a nice, sprightly wench tonight. But I guess you’ll do.”

“Hey. That’s mean.” She punched his chest.

“Aye, well I’m a pirate. What expects ye?” He forced his mouth over hers.

She struggled, but he picked her up. Ignoring her flailing legs, he heaved her onto the bed. He ripped open her corset, baring her breasts. “Aye, there be treasure here.”

She wrapped her legs around her husband, “Well, ye better get to plunderin’ then.”

~100
 
7 of 10
The Sword

No one in the village could remember how long the sword had hung in the tavern. Or who had placed it there. It had become a cherished relic. One day a blond stranger rode in, fair of face, wearing a white robe. The citizens were enthralled.

"I seek a sword," he said. "One with a silver grip."

He was escorted to the tavern. He removed the sword and smote the blacksmith a terrible blow. A hideous creature lay dead.

"You are free from the spell," he exclaimed and vanished.

The village disappeared. A swamp appeared. Dozens of frogs hopped away.

(100 even)
 
The Sword
8 out of 10

They found the sword in the blackberry brambles that day. Tearing through the vacant lot that was their domain all that summer, the children stumbled across it, battered and rusted, but most definitely a sword, on their way to fill their buckets and their bellies with the ripe berries. A real, honest to goodness sword hidden under the dense undergrowth of bramble bushes and poison ivy. Pete was the only one brave enough to reach through the stickers and weeds so he was the one who took the sword home. Tonight he would wait with the sword for the monster.

(100 words)
 
Back
Top