Pagan Corner

Forgive me for intruding (I'm not a pagan)
I just have a couple of questions;

Are there different denominations of pagans?

Is wiccan the same as pagan?

thank you
 
crappie master said:
Forgive me for intruding (I'm not a pagan)
I just have a couple of questions;

Are there different denominations of pagans?

Is wiccan the same as pagan?

thank you

What I have learned so far:

There are many different...views of how to practice paganism. Wicca, Druidism, and many many more. Many even practice privately. I am still learning much about paganism...much more to learn. Number wise...in one book I read there were over thirty types of belief's mentioned that would probably qualify as 'denominations' as you put it.
 
to Cleo

Go to any used book store and pick up "Sun Signs" by Linda Goodman. It covers all the shades of the sign, includeing the child, empolyer, employee, lover....

Her "Love Signs" gets a little bit more into the love/sexuality side of it.

These books were actually recommended by a Writer's Digest artcile I'd read once as an aid to systematic and consistant character creation.
 
Hi all I think I am going to start hanging out here on a more regular basis.
 
crappie master said:
Forgive me for intruding (I'm not a pagan)
I just have a couple of questions;

Are there different denominations of pagans?

Is wiccan the same as pagan?

thank you

Mornin' Crappie... you're not intruding at all. Us pagans are very open minded to all... besides you don't need to be pagan to post here. :)

The word pagan comes from pagani, meaning a country dweller. Essentially everyone was pagan... and they took an animistic and pantheistic approach to life, living in tune with the natural world

Wicca (e) is just one path of many within what is referred to as neo-paganism today. Paganism in the past incorporated many different roads.... While the practice of witchcraft is an ancient one, Wicca is not.

Wicca was born in the 1950's through a man named Gerald Gardner. It appears (many people disagree) that he took a lot of different ideas and created a "new religion". Paganism isn't a religion per se, it is more like a lifestyle...


Hey Curious! Rhys! Cleo! PS! and Emu! Sorry I missed you all last night... it was an early one :) :rose:
 
This ramble is inspired by a comment made in one of the other threads and tequila ...and coffee...I am an alert drunk this morning.

:D

i do not believe that any deity punishes us. I suspect that we choose our fleshly challenges before incarnation. I don't think God in whatever form you choose to worship him/her/it in is particularly vengeful. If you look at the message of Jesus Christ, that was mostly a message about love and compassion for each other but mostly for ourselves. I think one of the problems of forgiveness is that we beg God to forgive us our sins, but the simple fact of the matter is that its not god that needs to forgive us...we need to forgive ourselves. I think religion gives us the method in which to do this. I think some religions allow us to be more human to ourselves. We have the capacity to do terrible things to each other, but what we do to ourselves is far worse sometimes. A god of any sort gives us the excuse to do this...an vehicle to express ourselves. Absolution...and in seeking so, we can let it go, this anger and hurt we feel and channel it somewhere else...whether you channel it to the earth or to a god of your choice really doesn't matter. In seeking absolution however, I think its easy to forget that we have a responsibility
I think that is my problem with modern christianity to an extent. Modern christianity says...let go...let god...but paradoxically also says god helps those who help themselves. There are those who tell you to tell all your problems to god and let him sort them out for you. Too many times this is (to me) a crutch. I think its an excuse to misbehave to your fellow human, and then not take responsibilty for your own actions. I suppose that is the heart of my arguement with modern christianity. How do you justify the paradox? If you absolve yourself from the responsibilty of your own actions then how do you begin to heal and forgive yourself? I think that fosters the guilt complex...and yes I think there are those out there that could stand a bit more guilt...but there are those out there that do not need to feel guilty for drawing breath on this planet. I think it was Mae West who said "Life is a banquet and most poor bastards are starving to death" We starve ourselves spiritually trying to achieve some ideal of artificial piety that does not exist. I think that the God this poster was referring to only gave him the tools to punish himself and thats what he's been doing. You have to embrace life and all its problems because if you did not have problems, if you did not feel pain and joy you would be dead. Corpses don't feel. To be alive is to be in pain, whether its your foot is itching right now or your dog died...this is living. To live and to live well takes great courage. Living well does not mean skinning your fellow man and sucking him dry...but living with courage to face the challenges of life and not take advantage of the weaknesses of others. Many times I know I am in agreement with others here on this board and even though the approach is different, I know what is in the heart is the same. I guess what I am saying is hearts agree but heads differ. I think that is why we get into these discussions because a lot of the time we are on the same side, it just that our approaches vary so completely. Then, I think of those lost souls who are struggling with fundamental (to me) moral issues and trying to sort those out. I guess it goes back to that concept of forgiveness. Forgiving someone whom you suspect may not know any better is a challenge, but when you suspect they do, its even harder. Empathy then for them and their situation...but they have to develop that empathy too. Its hard to watch when you know in your heart that someone doesn't quite have it...it goes to a level then stops. How do you ask them to step into your shoes and see what you see and feel what you feel when they have no frame of reference? Or if they do, they just don't care to use it. I suspect this comes back to that issue of forgiveness. Can I forgive myself for seeing this in another person and grieving over it? I wish things were black and white but they arent...there are more shades of grey in the world and sometimes they cover me like a mist. But, I don't believe this is a punnishment...a test maybe...a learning experience definitely...and I don't know why I choose this one over and over again but I am hoping to see my way through it this time.
 
Hey Image, Rhys. Merry meet.:)

After some thought while at camp this last time I realized that part of the reason I have made such a drastic (for me) change in my beliefs is an article in Popular Mechanics on 'Parallel Universes' and how Quantum Mechanics/Physics scientists are starting to lean towards theory that supports many universes. That got me to thinking about the possibilities in life. If there are infinite worlds with infinite 'me's' on them that have made every possible combiniation of choices I coudl possibly make...well...that could explain some inexpicable events that can happen in our world.

Or not. The truth of the matter is that it opened my mind to listen and look around. Things that had bothered me in the past about one God and Jesus of the bible started me to reading it in depth. The more I read the more I realized...male written, male dominiated, male in charge, on and on and on.

Then I asked myself...why would there only be one God? He made us in his image...if that is so...why did he create females? If we were just like God, why would a man have 'needed' a woman. Another man could have sufficed for companionship as well...right?

Read some other things and learned some more. How the burning times must have and have changed the truths of what life was really like way back then. Like a poison, it spread throughout lands, making everyone who did not believe a 'certain' way...well 'bad' or 'evil'.

Thus my mind and thoughts focused on why and I came to the conclusion...C2C...look at history. Hitler gained power and might by controlling what people could read, learn, believe, and teach. After a few years of propoganda and some harsh lessons...to survive was to conform. Of course that is why so many hid what they truly believed and practiced. That is also why so many learned while growing up, to associate witches with ugly, evil, and bad or wrong things to do.

Considering that Jesus was not much different than a witch...some where I read Images thoughts on Jesus...his 'miracles', his 'medicine' were strongly parallel to practices of paganism. Yet...after a vote by the church in 1099, he became the 'Son of God'. Mortals 'voted' a man to be God-like or the Son of God. After the fact. Perhaps they were losing control due to Jesus's miracles and needed to bring the flock back together. What better way than to take the 'fire' from the firestarter and make him one of them. Only moreso?

*looks up at his writing*

Ulp!

heh... didn't mean to um...get so carried away here. Lets just say that for C2C...the road has changed to one that he believes is a far better path for him. Since I only have a limited time on this world it behooves me to try to make it the best time I possibly can. (by the way...where did the word 'behoove' come from...did I spell it right? Hmmmmm.)


As always...:devil:
 
)0( Have you ever noticed how fast the universe is really moving? View it through a telescope this evening... It will take your breath away...

Happy Full Moon Celebrations tonight all you sensual, lust filled pagans... The Goddess is soooo ripe (I'd use the devil emoticon here but... well you know)

I am so feeling like letting my inner Goddess out, the Aphrodite in me... I want to dance and make love with the Stag in the forest tonight... melting as one into the rich, fertile Earth. Hmmm, It seems I've been horny for the last few days... It has to be the moon! :)

BB,
Gaia
 
I see that solstice will be while I am at work too. Damn...always seem to be at work where it is difficult (to say the least) to enjoy.
 
curious2c said:
I see that solstice will be while I am at work too. Damn...always seem to be at work where it is difficult (to say the least) to enjoy.
Oh, me too. I try to celebrate in the smallest ways I can, but I always seem to miss out..... :mad:
 
hey guys... Guess what... When the actual Solstice happens I'll be at work too. So what? Just that it is even a concern to you shows how far your soul has come... See?

Back in the olde days, since the Sun was actually suspended in the sky, everyone took a moment of silence, whether in ritual or privately... It was just a way of life.

We have forgotten how to dance with the rhythms of nature...

It's the intent in your heart... as long as you are aware in your heart and mind you can celebrate anytime.

At noon, next Saturday focus, that's all it takes, an acknowledgment, think...

Remember... because you have celebrated before... A thousand years before.... Perhaps we have danced together, all those many years ago...
 
Bale Fires are lighting, all through the Land
The Fey folk are dancing, their hour's at hand
Their music is heard in the chattering stream
Their calls echo out on the wings of a dream

Beyond the townships, where common folk sleep
In moors and in meadows, and forests so deep
Witches are gatheringing, in the dark of the night
To dance...

And to worship...

And to bathe in moonlight....
 
Well...since the weather (as usual) is not cooperating (raining hard) I guess a bale fire in the fireplace and a small celebration indoors will have to suffice this night.:(

I am begining to get the details down now...still lack a lot of knowledge...but I am attempting to celebrate the Godess and Gods in my own humble way as I can.

Ummm...This is a 'dyad' moon tonight according to my almanac...
 
Image said:
hey guys... Guess what... When the actual Solstice happens I'll be at work too. So what? Just that it is even a concern to you shows how far your soul has come... See?

Back in the olde days, since the Sun was actually suspended in the sky, everyone took a moment of silence, whether in ritual or privately... It was just a way of life.

We have forgotten how to dance with the rhythms of nature...

It's the intent in your heart... as long as you are aware in your heart and mind you can celebrate anytime.

At noon, next Saturday focus, that's all it takes, an acknowledgment, think...

Remember... because you have celebrated before... A thousand years before.... Perhaps we have danced together, all those many years ago...

You know, we humans tend to lose things through evolutionary atrophy. We have vestigial organs, organs that we don't even use anymore.

Inductively looking back, I suspect we've lost a number of senses due to our increased and absolute reliance upon tools.

At the very least, we would have lost our understanding of the rhythms of nature. We probably also had psychic abilties and spiritual abilities, which got lost, too.

Just some random thoughts...
 
curious2c said:
Well...since the weather (as usual) is not cooperating (raining hard) I guess a bale fire in the fireplace and a small celebration indoors will have to suffice this night.:(

I am begining to get the details down now...still lack a lot of knowledge...but I am attempting to celebrate the Godess and Gods in my own humble way as I can.

Ummm...This is a 'dyad' moon tonight according to my almanac...
You are so getting this.. go with your intuition, listen to your heart... raining or not, the moon is still shining somewhere :heart:
 
Greetings Everyone! Did ya notice the time? Almost 9:00 and it's still broght outside?!?!

The longest Day of the Year...

But also the Shortest Night... make the best of it!!!
 
Summer Solstice is definitly one of my favorites Sabbats....Im not at work though, so thats good, but the day is almost over!!! I love Summer!!!
 
A Midsummer's Night Dream...

Puck speaks in the earliest waking hours of our dreams...


If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear.

And this weak and idle theme,
No more yeilding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend

And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, Good night unto you all.

Give me your hands if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends...


Wishing All A Merry Summer Night's Fantasy come true...
 
Bump... looking to see if someone could help me write a pagan handfasting wedding ceremony into the last chap of my story :)

Thanks! :rose:
 
LovingTongue said:
Bump... looking to see if someone could help me write a pagan handfasting wedding ceremony into the last chap of my story :)

Thanks! :rose:
Greetings again Loving Tongue...

There are many versions of a pagan handfasting. There may also be a trial marriage called a telltein (telltown, variable spellings) that lasts a year and a day. If the couple wants to stay together after that time they enter into a more official ceremony referred to as a "Greenwoods" wedding. If not they may just walk away from each other... There are also pagan divorces called handpartings.

This link contains a very pretty, image evoking rite... There are several on this site... enjoy!
http://www.paganlibrary.com/rituals_spells/handfasting_ritual_1.php

Can you give me an idea of the story line? Or do we have to wait for the book to come out? :D

I just attended a beautiful handfasting this past weekend... it took place in a grove of laurels and rhododendrons next to a cascading stream in the forest... so romantic :heart:
 
Image said:
Greetings again Loving Tongue...

There are many versions of a pagan handfasting. There may also be a trial marriage called a telltein (telltown, variable spellings) that lasts a year and a day. If the couple wants to stay together after that time they enter into a more official ceremony referred to as a "Greenwoods" wedding. If not they may just walk away from each other... There are also pagan divorces called handpartings.

Wow... nice link. I've got that bookmarked! :)

The story line is just chapter 2-5 of Lady Bashirah. The volunteer editor who has it is on hiatus due to personal problems. I dunno when they'll ever get to it. I'm looking at going to someone else for help so I can get these very completed chapters proofed and posted!
 
Funerals

I was wondering if there were any cermonies, etc. for funerals. I'm looking for personal cermonies; ones that i would do by myself, for myself.

thank you
 
MARS(Aries)

For all of you aries loving pagans, and just any of you interested in astrology.
On Aug. 27 at 12:30 am the planet Mars will be the closet to earth it has been in ethier 2000 or 5000 years (still a little confused on the years gone by). It will never happen in our life time, or for 1000s of more moons. It will be so close that it will look like the full moon. You can see it right now looking SE on the right side of the moon. Looks like the brightest star in the sky. Go take a look. It is a glourios and energizing sight to behold.

God of War
Bears down upon Mother Earth
Casting her within his reddish glow
Suducing her with his magnifisant slendor
His seductive movement into her orbital bliss
Such a sweet delightful kiss
A chaotic chain of events explode
Causing Sister Moon Etain to split in two then implode
Absolute destruction caused by Aries erotic trance
Ohhh but the Mother could not refuse the dance
 
Back
Top