How should you deal with plagirism...

OK, first, try anything you damn well like and live with the consequences. :rolleyes:

Second, we've gone over this hundreds of times on this forum, but we'll do it one more time.

What part of this on the U.S. Copyright Office FAQs can't you understand?:

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”


The clauses you cite are figleafs, put in there to give a nod (and only a nod) to the Berne Convention the United States eventually and reluctantly signed--and then didn't give any legal teeth to.

I've gone over the history of this numerous times on this forum.

If you can't get a court date for a copyright lawsuit without a formal copyright registration in hand, you are dead in the water in regards to legal recourse. Try to pay attention to the reality and function of protection. If you can't take it to court, you aren't functionally legally protected.

The court case you dug for is really minutia as an example here--and the fact that this is all you found speaks volumes on how likely anything anyone on this forum is talking about has a chance in hell of legal recourse.

But, also, you just don't understand the case you cite. It was AFP, which has blanket copyright registration arrangements for photos it uses (because it has to use them in almost real time--it's a nature of the news business), that was suing in this case. AFP had the copyright on the photos. Its for-hire photographer took the photos (and is being sued for using them himself) but didn't have copyright from the get-go.

Yes, it's a complicated issue. Made more complicated by the erroneous wishful thinking exhibited on this thread.

But we're back to "try it yourself" and listen for the laughter of anyone in authority you try it on for a smut story you didn't register and that you gave away for free on an open erotica Web site.
 
Last edited:
OK, here's a thought. Why don't you lot stop asserting you can get it done and put your efforts to getting it done, and then come back and tell us how you got it done. ;)
 
I know I am a little late to the party but why not just call a local firm and ask one of the practicing lawyers there?
 
I know I am a little late to the party but why not just call a local firm and ask one of the practicing lawyers there?

That would be a good place to start (if anyone here was actually going to try to do anything). But it would only be a start, because general lawyers aren't trained in copyright law. You need a copyright or entertainment lawyer. But this would be a good start of paying money to try to protect something you gave away for free on the Internet and that will still be sitting there for free on the Internet all of the time you're paying money to try to track down and stop someone who stole it (this time).
 
Message the site you found it on and tell them you will have a DMCA takedown notice served to them unless it is removed. Also see if you can find their web host and email them and tell them the same. I was livid when I was reverse looking up some of my own work and found it. I won't say what site it was on since I'm sure Lit doesn't appreciate or allow links to other sites like that. The site actually had a link in their footer for cases like this, so they know it happens. I had to fill out a form and swear the work was mine. Now I also have a site for my paid writing services I linked them to which added to my case. It was removed in less than 24 hrs, no DMCA even required.

Thieves abound on the internet, not a doubt. I have seen my work lifted several times, I can't spend my day reverse looking up things I wrote, it would be impossible with the volume I write, but if someone that knows it's mine brings it to my attn or I see it myself, you can bet I act on it. The shock is always there, how DARE they??? Yet they do. I've not only had stories and blogs of mine stolen and posted on other sites, but the one that stunned me the most was an audio of mine some woman had uploaded to Youtube for HER site claiming it was HER voice! Again, I emailed Youtube with links to my own channel and sites of my audios as proof it was mine and it was removed within a couple of days. I am sorry this has happened to you. The pathetic fools without a shred of imagination that resort to stealing another's ideas. Let's hope karma gets them in one way or another.
 
Back
Top