Are there Rules for eras/time frames?

Chook069

Virgin
Joined
Jul 4, 2015
Posts
9
Have an idea for a story , however, I don't want to go into exact detail about period costume, technology, etc.
Wanting to keep it more in a flux, a sort of multiple time frames locked in a flux. A buffet of pieces.

Are there any hard rules about doing such a thing ? Or even if you/I see it as Sci-fi , you still need to follow certain standards?
 
LIT's rules are 1) "no underage", 2) "no bestiality" (with real animals), and 3) "no sexual snuff". "No rape" flickers in and out, but that's controversial. Time frames are unruled but they'll probably work best in the Fantasy-SciFi category. If demons are involved, go Erotic Horror. Sex with nonhumans that aren't fantasy critters go to NonHuman. If magic isn't primal and only one couple are fucking, you could shoot for Romance or Erotic Couplings.
 
Are there any hard rules about doing such a thing ? Or even if you/I see it as Sci-fi , you still need to follow certain standards?
No rules other than adherence to Lit policy. If you're going with oddball time periods, lower your expectations for the number of people who will get what you're doing, and you'll be fine.
 
Take some care about your definitions. As narrower and closer your spacetime coordinates are, as more caution is recommended. Better be less specific than accidentally throw in nonsense that could trigger nerds. Don't let viking women wear padded brassieres unless their dragonboats are spacefaring.

Mostly rarely anyone knows real stuff however, and ancients usually amaze everyone with their sophistication when researched seriously, so a lot of strange claims you can get away with, unless you make a big production on an "obviously" absurd obscure detail.

Edit: saw your idea thread. I think In that setup everything goes. At least as long you have some rudimentary explanation why they don't mix and level out. Lots of tribalism, DIY culture and local manufacturing, perhaps, or just constant carnival.
 
Last edited:
Are there any hard rules about doing such a thing ? Or even if you/I see it as Sci-fi , you still need to follow certain standards?

No standards, but it seems like you probably want to be accurate enough that the different eras are distinguishable by the reader.
 
Sort of what Not Wise says. You're the writer; write what you want to write. But maybe include a handle or two so that the reader has a vague idea of where they are. And be ready for the odd comment that tells you that grandfather clocks weren't invented until the second week of June, 1303.

Good luck. :)
 
And be ready for the odd comment that tells you that grandfather clocks weren't invented until the second week of June, 1303.

Over on the Story Ideas forum, the OP lists three "eras" of concern: Goth, Steam Punk and Diesel Punk, all of which are relatively recent subcultural fashion trends, rather than historical periods. Invention of the grandfather clock, electric lighting, or carbine rifles (for instances) may not be an issue.
 
And be ready for the odd comment that tells you that grandfather clocks weren't invented until the second week of June, 1303.
Tall pendulum 'longcase' clocks (developed in 1670) gained the familiar name only with the popularity of the 1876 song My Grandfather's Clock.

Gotcha.
 
I've written stories (not found on this site) where there are two parallel stories being told, in two different times and places.

I start with the twentieth-century tale, and then contrive a segue, as in "She fell asleep, and dreamed."

Then there's a row of asterisks before the scene shifts to sixteenth century Italy, a shift that's clearly marked. When that story is over, another row of asterisks signals the reader that we're back in the twentieth century, when I wrap up that part of the tale.

Above all, don't leave the reader in confusion, wondering where she or he is in the story.
 
Back
Top