Hey, gun nuts!

Just doing a little web shopping, a 21 Grand American with matched 28/410 barrels, used but in fine condition (98-99%) is being offered for a mere $45,500.

The world of collector shotguns is a very rarefied place.

Ishmael

Just doing a little web shopping, a 21 Grand American with matched 28/410 barrels, used but in fine condition (98-99%) is being offered for a mere $45,500.

Ishmael

For sure. I'm a couple commas of net worth away from that sort of thing.

For sure. I'm a couple commas of net worth away from that sort of thing.

Double rifles and Drillings also get into that rarefied air. But what the hell can you do with them other than look at them from time to time?

Ishmael

Ishmael

That's something to look at, not something to carry in the woods.

A 28 ga would be a really nice ptarmigan hunting gun.

That's something to look at, not something to carry in the woods.

A 28 ga would be a really nice ptarmigan hunting gun.

That ga. was once fairly common. Relatively rare now.

Back in the late 70's I almost picked up a matched skeet set. 12, 20, 28, 410 for the mere pittance of $1,500 or so. Italian made as I recall. I can only imagine what it might be worth today.

I've always been partial to the 20 ga for most upland hunting.

Ishmael

That ga. was once fairly common. Relatively rare now.

Back in the late 70's I almost picked up a matched skeet set. 12, 20, 28, 410 for the mere pittance of $1,500 or so. Italian made as I recall. I can only imagine what it might be worth today.

I've always been partial to the 20 ga for most upland hunting.

Ishmael

The 12 ga is too much gun for upland birds. But, when you have to walk through the alders in bear country to get upland, there's the rub. Plus, you walk back down with a bunch of dead birds.

The 12 ga is too much gun for upland birds. But, when you have to walk through the alders in bear country to get upland, there's the rub. Plus, you walk back down with a bunch of dead birds.

Just have to take other precautions. Spray and a big pistol/revolver ought to work.

Ishmael

Is it possible to knock a dent out of a shotgun barrel or am I better off just trimming it down?

Is it possible to knock a dent out of a shotgun barrel or am I better off just trimming it down?

You need a gunsmith to look at it. Some can be fixed with expansion plugs without seriously weakening the barrel. Most manufacturers have shops that can deal with the issue. And if it's a production gun just buying a new barrel is always an option.

Ishmael

You need a gunsmith to look at it. Some can be fixed with expansion plugs without seriously weakening the barrel. Most manufacturers have shops that can deal with the issue. And if it's a production gun just buying a new barrel is always an option.

Ishmael

Its a coach gun from the 30s. I was cleaning it and knocked the barrel off the table. dented it near the muzzle. I figure its still safe for blanks in cowboy shows But ill probably still get it looked at. Im not sure if id shoot it live or not even before the accident

Its a coach gun from the 30s. I was cleaning it and knocked the barrel off the table. dented it near the muzzle. I figure its still safe for blanks in cowboy shows But ill probably still get it looked at. Im not sure if id shoot it live or not even before the accident

OK. From the 30's pretty much means its safe for modern loads. Have it looked at by someone that knows their shit. It might even have some value.

Ishmael

Its just a hardware store gun. I picked it up for doing cowboy shows. It has an arsenal steel barrel and external hammers. I have to see if there are any gunsmiths in my area. I think the local gander mountain has one

Its just a hardware store gun. I picked it up for doing cowboy shows. It has an arsenal steel barrel and external hammers. I have to see if there are any gunsmiths in my area. I think the local gander mountain has one

Most guns of that type have either cylinder or Imp. cylinder chokes so for the purposes that you are using it for taking a little bit off the barrel and re-crowning it probably won't make a bit of difference.

Ishmael

Local gunshop has a '63 Remington 700 in 30.06. Since iI was only there with a friend and not intent on buying I didn't want to trouble the proprietor to get it out of the case for me. The store was busy.

It's been on my mind though. from what I could see this was a loved gun. Nice furniture, checkering looked good still. Even the leather sling had a really nice patina. Little details on that gun. The workmanship on the brass swivel on the sling.

I caught the owner for a moment and he says 63 is a slightly shorter barrel. Possibly why it looked so right-sized to me. I probably should go get it. it was like $360 which seemed cheap to me from a dealer.

Around here everyone seems to prefer the composite stocks. Technically better, but a gun can be art.

Most guns of that type have either cylinder or Imp. cylinder chokes so for the purposes that you are using it for taking a little bit off the barrel and re-crowning it probably won't make a bit of difference.

Ishmael

Ya. This one has been cut down already. I all the others Ive seen were 27 or so inch barrels. I gotta measure it and see if trimming an inch or so will make it too short

Ya. This one has been cut down already. I all the others Ive seen were 27 or so inch barrels. I gotta measure it and see if trimming an inch or so will make it too short

There is that. But a reputable smith will let you know.

Ishmael

Edited to add, I think 18 inches is the minimum.

Double rifles and Drillings also get into that rarefied air. But what the hell can you do with them other than look at them from time to time?

Ishmael
Yeah, not much, and honestly I'd rather have art on my walls than firearms. I do like the 1898 Springfield over the fireplace though. And it shoots great for an old man. I never had much interest in wall hangers, though I somehow own a couple of them now.

Local gunshop has a '63 Remington 700 in 30.06. Since iI was only there with a friend and not intent on buying I didn't want to trouble the proprietor to get it out of the case for me. The store was busy.

It's been on my mind though. from what I could see this was a loved gun. Nice furniture, checkering looked good still. Even the leather sling had a really nice patina. Little details on that gun. The workmanship on the brass swivel on the sling.

I caught the owner for a moment and he says 63 is a slightly shorter barrel. Possibly why it looked so right-sized to me. I probably should go get it. it was like $360 which seemed cheap to me from a dealer.

Around here everyone seems to prefer the composite stocks. Technically better, but a gun can be art.
Pounce! That's cheap for a great fucking rifle. A true classic, that.

Guns

Guns equal freedom. The gun made the peasant and powerful as the king and women as powerful as men.

Hello, old thread. I have a new toy. I was waiting to get a haircut next door to the local gun shop and...

Iver Johnson Champion. The serial numbers is letters. 12 gauge. A little stiff to open, but it shoots beautifully. I'm thinking it's become the trap gun for this season. Already got a pretty leather recoil pad for it. This is a really pretty gun, and light as a feather.

I'd love comments from those more knowledgeable than me.

i think as a hobby, you should research the life of every gun you own and document.

Heya, Neci love. Um...I pretty much do that. The new ones are boring. It's the old or pre-owned ones that are interesting. The folks at the Springfield Armory were really nice and incredibly helpful about the 1898 Krag. I haven't dug into this latest acquisition much yet, but I think the letters instead of numbers puts it back into the forties or fifties.

And I don't give much of a shit who knows I have them. After seven years, I still get panicked emails from gun nut organizations telling me they need my money ASAP because Obama's comin' fer me guns. Because, you know, he's put so much effort into it in the first 1.75 terms of his 2.

You safe down there? Our military hasn't kicked in your door yet?

Back