What Are You Listening To Now? 6.0

Messa - Feast for Water (album)

A pretty interesting mix, this one. Take two parts "Twin Peaks" soundtrack and stir in the fattest guitars you can imagine. The album does some fascinating things with volume and soft vs. vicious. Plus saxophone solos. Cool shit.
 
Golden Earring: best of

After Barry Hay appeared during Ayreon's 2018 Graspop headliner gig, I decided to give these guys a bit more attention. To reduce Golden Earring down to "Radar Love" is a disservice to the band. They can write some kick-ass rock tunes.

And while on the topic of semi-obscure Dutch rock bands, check out Kayak, especially if you like mid-80s Marillion.

Kayak - When The Seer Looks Away
https://youtu.be/7Ua63srVd1s
 
A cover of Santana? Or is it the other way round?

Other way around, I believe, but that’s before my time. So to google...which states the song was written by Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac, and was first released from the band in 1968. *shrugs* Personally, I just like that version better than Santana’s, but to be fair, that was the version I was raised with.


Miss Misery — Nazareth
 
Christian Woman— Type O Negative

He left way too soon. And thanks for the info on "Black Magic Woman". Huh. Didn't know that.

Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy (album)
https://youtu.be/I4tUFd3qsG8

I'm usually not a math-/tech-core kind of guy, but there's the occasional "Frickelband" which I do like. These guys for example. Of course they are super-human on their instruments, but they manage to put in some decent melody lines into their songs too, so it's not all instrument gymnastics.
 
Back
Top