Fabric Dye

SweetErika

Fingers Crossed
I ruined 3 dark pink t-shirts when I tried to remove blue dye that had bled in the wash unexpectedly (yes, I'll be doing a 'dark denim' load from now on!). Now they're all this awful corally-orange shade. One is a brand new shirt, so I'm figuring I don't have much to lose by trying to dye all three to a wearable shade. Is that a fair assumption, or is this likely to be more trouble than it's worth and a waste of more money?

Thoughts?

I don't know if you're aware, but Rit makes a color run remover. I have a box sitting in my laundry cabinet, but I need to find the time to try and salvage my favorite grey t-shirt that was accidentally stained when I laid out a purple t to dry right along side of it. If it doesn't work, I figure 4 bucks isn't that much of a loss. So maybe give that a whirl first? If it doesn't work, you can decide if you want to fool with it further.

Last edited:
I used the equivalent Carbona remover twice, which is what got me 3 orangey shirts. The color runs were really prevalent and stubborn, so I just went for getting the blue stains out even though the fabric started leaching pink dye, figuring I'd be best off starting with even color if I wanted to try to dye them later. I've used the Carbona remover a few times with great results, but I don't think I've ever tried it on a highly-pigmented fabric before this (usually I'm trying to remove red or blue dye from white socks or something). :)

I used the equivalent Carbona remover twice, which is what got me 3 orangey shirts. The color runs were really prevalent and stubborn, so I just went for getting the blue stains out even though the fabric started leaching pink dye, figuring I'd be best off starting with even color if I wanted to try to dye them later. I've used the Carbona remover a few times with great results, but I don't think I've ever tried it on a highly-pigmented fabric before this (usually I'm trying to remove red or blue dye from white socks or something). :)

Rit Dye has a website with lots of helpful advice. It might be worth your time to stop by.

The Rit Studio.

Or dye everything dark navy blue. That was my husband's answer to all the laundry fuck ups.

Or dye everything dark navy blue. That was my husband's answer to all the laundry fuck ups.

I did have that thought, although I also just bought a navy blue t-shirt, and I don't really need 4 or 5 of those. :eek: I might try to go back to fuschia, or I see that Rit has a darker red that would probably work and suit my skin tone (plus, I have trouble finding t-shirts in cool reds) if I can find it locally.

Tie dye, summer will be here soon, you could do some light pastels. Make it less psychedelic.

Tie dye, summer will be here soon, you could do some light pastels. Make it less psychedelic.

I thought about that, but tie dye really isn't my style in any form that I've seen. I'm not sure I'd even wear a rainbow tie-dyed shirt to Pride comfortably. :eek: Some of the "watercolor" dipped and painted stuff on the Rit site is lovely and that's probably more my style, but I don't have the time to invest in something like that right now.

It might be a cool idea for this summer with the kiddo, though. He has a couple of white shirts that could use some color (a.k.a. dirt-hiding potential; he's a very messy boy, which means I usually can't wear light colors, either!).

I would figure how what color to add that would make the color you want.
Or remove even more of the color until it becomes one you want?

Erika, rather than traditional tiedyeing with your son, you might want to try filling spray bottles or squeeze bottles, maybe even squirt guns, with various dye mixtures and letting your son play with those. He'll get to see instant results and you won't have to deal with all the rubber bands.

If this idea appeals, and he wants to "go big", sheets make great canvases.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

Erika, rather than traditional tiedyeing with your son, you might want to try filling spray bottles or squeeze bottles, maybe even squirt guns, with various dye mixtures and letting your son play with those. He'll get to see instant results and you won't have to deal with all the rubber bands.

If this idea appeals, and he wants to "go big", sheets make great canvases.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

That is such a brilliant idea, Glynndah! We have a big flat grassy yard in the summer (perfect for tiring him out with a slip & slide, too! :D ), and we're ALWAYS looking for fun activities to keep us busy in a rental house in a much smaller town. And the kiddo is a huge fan of cops and firefighters, so the gun + water aspect definitely ties right into those interests (it's damn near impossible to engage him in things that don't)! :nana:

Just remember that the dye may be permanent, and you could end up with a purple kid until it wears off. (I managed to dye my hands a light blue for about three days when I was a teenager). Use goggles for eye protection.

Back