Hello, Neighbor (closed for wrterlogan)

Duncan was only slightly caught off guard when Kate responded with a splash in kind. It was the sort of thing the girls that he normally hung out with would do, give it back just as good as they got it. She had fought back after one little volley but what would she do it he kept it up?

"It looks like someone's up for a water fight" he called.

Without waiting, he started slapping the water around him, sending spray after spray towards Kate. Duncan let out a burst of laughter of his own as he kept up the pressure, eager to see what she would do next.
 
Kate screamed and laughed as Duncan hit her with several huge sprays of water. She put up her hands to deflect the water, but it kept coming.

"I am going to get you, I swear," she shouted, laughing, and took a deep breath. Sinking underneath the water, she swam quickly and lightly over to Duncan. He could see her, but he was still surprised when she stood up right next to him and slapped the water in front of him, sending a spray into his face.

Before he could wipe the water from his eyes, Kate swam away. Surfacing about five feet away from him, she looked over and stuck her tongue out at him.
 
"Oh, now you're asking for it!"

Duncan knew that he probably wasn't quite as good of a swimmer as Kate but that wouldn't stop him from at least trying to get her back. He started to position himself just a little bit closer to his target. Kate responded by cutting him off, trying to keep away but he stayed with her, keeping her close to the edge of the pool.

"Do you give up? This can only get worse for you, you know."
 
"You should give up," Kate called merrily, sending a small splash his way.

She watched as Duncan circled closer to her, then sank down under the water and swam past him. When she reached the head of the pool, she pulled herself out and sat on the edge. She took a swig of her beer and waited for Duncan to come close. Just as he entered her range, she swung her foot, making a huge arc of spray that hit him solidly. He threw his arm up to shield his face and Kate laughed.

"Give up yet?" she asked.
 
The spray had surprised him but he still wasn't ready to give up just yet. He quickly hopped out of the pool.

"Two can play at this game you know!"

Duncan then ran over to wear he left his towel. He grabbed it and turned back towards Kate. With one motion, he tossed the towel in her direction and then jumped back into the pool, this time swimming very close to Kate, almost pinning her where she was.

"Now you want to give up?"
 
"I don't think so," Kate said, and grinned. Duncan was very close to her, his arms touching the edge of the pool on either side of her. She was penned in, and to her absolute embarrassment, she was enjoying it.

She looked at him sassily and put her hand on his stomach. Pushing him backward with her hand, she used her foot to sweep his feet out from under him. She'd learned the trick from her older brother, and although Duncan was larger than her, she pushed him over easily. He went backwards into the water with a splash. When he resurfaced, laughing, Kate swam over to him.

"I think I win, right?" she said.
 
"Ok, ok. I know when I'm beat. I call truce."

Duncan had to admit that the whole exchange had been a lot of fun. Kate was very quick on her toes and could think ahead a few steps, she definitely had more going on than he remember from highschool. Then again, the more he thought about it, there wasn't a whole lot that he could remember exactly from that time in his life when it came to Kate. Life was like that, some people came in quickly and you remembered everything about them and there were others who were on fringe forever yet were nothing more than shadows.

He sat back on the edge of the pool, this time staying a respectful distance away from Katie and let out a sigh of relief. This had been a lot of fun, and not the fun that he normally had a bar which was the fun a person had after knocking back a few drinks. In a way, he wished the day would last longer.

Trying not to stare at his body while he talked to her, Duncan looked back over to Kate, "I gotta asked where you learned how to do that. I'm not going to say that's the craziest thing that's ever happened to me but wow that was cool."
 
Kate grabbed the beers from the edge of the pool and walked over to Duncan. She sat down next to him and handed him his beer.

"My brother taught me. I don't think you know my brother Eric, do you? He was out of high school by the time we started. He lives in another country now, he's a teacher."

She took a sip of her beer and leaned over to him. "I'll show you sometime," she said. He glanced up and met her eyes, and she realized he'd been staring at her for a few moments. She almost started blushing. He was way too hot to have any interest in her that way.
 
"Eric? No, I can't say that I remember him. But I'm sure it's really cool that he's doing what he wants."

He took the beer and noticed that her face had started to redden and realized that his attempts at being subtle must have failed miserably. Then again, it was hard...he hadn't expected to be attracted to Kate like this. Well, maybe that was a lie, he'd noticed her at that party and it had changed his perception. It was like all the bad feelings between them were passing out of his body, the laughter having eased it all out of him. Now he was just hanging out with a girl who he was starting to like quite a bit.

"Kate, I've gotta thank you for inviting me over today. I know that we weren't exactly close or anything during highschool and you didn't have too but it's been really fun just hanging out with someone my own age who isn't trying to judge me all the time."

God, Duncan wished that didn't sound as cliche or dopey as it felt like it did when it came out of his mouth. He tried to be as truthful as he could most of the time and his mom had taught him enough manners that you should always thank a person for inviting you over for whatever reason. Still he wanted her to think it was genuine and not just a lame attempt at conversation.
 
"Oh, it's not a big deal," Kate said. "I just -- I understand what you feel like, you know? I feel like a loser, and I don't have any friends here, so it was kind of selfish, me inviting you over. I just wanted someone to hang out with. But I'm, um, really having fun with you. You did pour Sprite on my head like ten years ago but I guess I should forgive you for that."

She laughed and looked over at him. "Thanks for coming over. You're pretty hot. I mean, cool. I mean --"

Oh fuck me, she thought. Did I really just say that?

She glanced over at Duncan. He was smirking at her.
 
Duncan smirked at her comment, "Thanks. And if we are being perfectly honest I have to admit that you are pretty hot yourself."

Unconsciously, his eyes drifted over her body in the swimsuit and this time he was very sure that she knew exactly what he was doing.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry about the Sprite thing too. Looking back on it, the reason that I did it was pretty stupid and childish. I guess that we were all a lot different back then and I can assure you that the Duncan Kincaid of now only pours drinks on the bitchiest of people."

He laughed at that last part, that wasn't really true either. But it did sound kinda witty and for some reason he wanted to make sure that he could keep Kate smiling. If she was smiling then that meant things were going well.
 
Kate laughed. "Okay, well, I'll do my best to stay out of that category."

She raked her wet hair back with one hand and sat back, intensely aware of the fact that Duncan was checking her out. Kate checked him out right back, and when she caught his eye she grinned at him.

"So what do you want to do now? We could go hang out in my room for a while. Listen to music, watch TV, whatever. We can swim some more later."

She jumped up, still holding her beer, and grabbed Duncan's hand. Tossing her head, she pulled him towards the house.
 
Duncan barely had time to give his assent before he found that they were heading into the house. He had only just made sure to keep his beer in hand as the two made their way. His eyes couldn't help but drop to look at her body every few steps as they continued towards the house.

"So what do you wanna do first?" he asked as they approached what he thought must be her bedroom door.
 
"I don't know, whatever," Kate said, walking into the room and flopping down on the bed. She nodded to the laptop on her desk. "I have a ton of music on there. Put on whatever you want."

She rolled onto her stomach and took a sip of her beer. Duncan was standing next to her desk, bent down in front of her computer. Kate glanced at his hard stomach appraisingly. Looking down at herself, she adjusted her suit top and threw her wet hair over her shoulder.

"I hope you don't mind me asking," she said. "But, like, you didn't look like that in high school. So are you like an athlete or what?"
 
"Oh," replied Duncan with a chuckle, "that. Well when I was in college I was taking a lot of random classes and I ended up in a few elective classes. One of the first ones was a really basic weight training class and I really liked that it gave me a lot of energy. Then I tried out for the rowing team and that kept me in a shape and since coming home its one of the few things I can do that helps me get away from my parents."

He looked over at Kate while he scrolled absently, "What about you? How often do you have to do the dancing thing to keep up?"
 
Kate made a face.

"I haven't danced at all since I came back, honestly. I will soon, it's just, finding a studio and everything." She set her beer down on the floor and looked at him. "I don't feel like explaining my situation to anyone right now, you know? So I just swim in the pool a lot. I'm not going to get fat living here with my mom and her vegetable trays. I haven't seen her cook anything since I got back."

Swinging her legs around, Kate sat up on the bed and leaned toward Duncan.

"So, do you have a girlfriend?" He looked over at her and she shook her hand at him. "No, sorry, that's none of my business, I'm just trying to make conversation. Forget I asked."

She got up and stood next to him at the computer. "What are you putting on?"
 
"Me? I was very pleased to find that you had some Say Anything on your computer. Max is one of my favorite songwriters."

He clicked the screen and the lively, upbeat song began to play. He scrolled around for a bit.

"Yeah, sorry I brought it up. I know what you mean about being at home being the absolute crappiest thing ever. I think that I was more angry a few months back but now I'm kinda more bitter and I don't even think that's the right word for it either. Like I get parts of what's going at home but the rest of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense."

He shook his head for a moment before looking back over into her blue eyes, "And as to your last point, no I am not currently seeing anyone. That's one of the other drawbacks of going to away for school, you meet a whole different sort of girl out there and then when you go back home the girls around here just can't compete."
 
Kate laughed. "Yeah, it's like -- coming home it's so weird, because some of these people have never left. I don't have anything in common with them, you know? But I'm glad you're here, cause at least I can talk to you."

Kate blushed slightly and turned away. Bending over, she picked up her beer and took another sip.

She walked back over to the bed and sat down. "You can sit down, you know, you don't just have to stand there."
 
Duncan shrugged, "Well see the thing is, I'm one of those people who doesn't like to get too comfy in someone else's house. I mean, you invited me so I have to respect the rules of your house. But, as you so rightly point out, me standing up like this is probably way too awkward for both of us. Do you mind if I join you on the bed?"

He didn't mean for it to sound super creepy if it did. He was just trying to keep the conversation going.

"It's a really nice room you've got here."
 
Kate laughed at Duncan. "Uh, yeah, you can sit down, it's not a big deal. I've only known you since we were seven. Seriously, thanks for being polite, but I don't care. Make yourself at home."

She crossed her legs on the bed and patted the area next to her. Her damp hair swung over her shoulders, and she looked at it critically. Twisting behind her, she leaned across to her nightstand and grabbed a brush. The movement stretched out her long body, and when she turned back around she noticed Duncan looking at her.

"Sit down," she said again, and began to brush out her hair.
 
Duncan moved towards the bed, making sure that he appeared to be more at ease than he was. It wasn't that he hadn't been close to girls before, it was just that Kate was someone he'd known for so long she was practically a distant relative. But couldn't he sit next to relatives without freaking out? He tried not to look at her brushing her hair as he slid onto the bed.

Geez, she had really nice sheets. This had to be one of the most comfy beds Duncan had ever been in. He knew that girl's beds usually were better than guys but this was lightyears beyond what he was used to at home. There was no way a person couldn't get a great night's sleep on this mattress.

He allowed one hand to rub the sheets, "So what sort of music do you listen too the most?"
 
"Oh, you know, I like a lot of stuff," Kate said. "Right now I'm listening to a lot of Sigur Ros -- I know right, but I need to listen to chill music so I don't go crazy."

She finished brushing and tossed the brush back onto the nightstand. Leaning forward, she laid on her stomach, propping her chin on her hands, and looked over at Duncan. He was stroking her sheets, and she raised her eyebrow at him.

"My mom. She's obsessed with bedding. I think she got these imported from another country. I don't know, they're comfortable." She lifted a piece of the sheet and rubbed it against Duncan's face. "See? They're really soft."
 
"Well you'll have to thank your mom," Duncan said with a grin, "this are the softest sheets I've ever felt in my life. I bet sleeping on these is the best thing ever."

He laid back on the sheet to enjoy himself. Then he sat up rather quickly.

"Um, aren't we getting your sheets all wet?"
 
"Damp at the most," Kate replied, "And anyway who cares?" She rolled over on her back and looked up at Duncan.

"Your hair is still really wet, though," she said, reaching up to touch it. Duncan moved slightly as her hand raked through his hair. "I'm sorry, I should have given you a towel. Hold on."

She jumped up and left the room, then immediately stuck her head back in the door.

"Do you want another beer?" she asked him.
 
Duncan wasn't sure why he'd reaction so strongly to her touch, I mean it was just his hair. Then again, when Kate had looked at him it had felt electric. He had wanted to say something immediately but she was already up and moving.

He checked his can and found that it was already empty.

"Sure why not?"

The only thing that he was even slightly worried about was how fast the two of them might blow through a bunch of beers, drinking with other people always made him consume faster. Hopefully he could pace himself.
 
Back
Top