The Nail Thread

I recently had hip replacement surgery, and have been getting pedicures until I can bend again. I've been surprised to find no obvious sterilization of the tools used by the nail techs. Given that it's not uncommon to break the skin during the process, I find this disturbing. Tattoo and piercing shops are obsessive about sterilization...why not nail salons? Or is this a local anomaly?

I recently had hip replacement surgery, and have been getting pedicures until I can bend again. I've been surprised to find no obvious sterilization of the tools used by the nail techs. Given that it's not uncommon to break the skin during the process, I find this disturbing. Tattoo and piercing shops are obsessive about sterilization...why not nail salons? Or is this a local anomaly?

:eek:
Find another salon! Nail salons really should be using clean tools! The risk of spreading infections and other nasties is low but real with nail salons, especially if they aren't practicing cleanliness. (Staph infections have definitely been spread!)

https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-stay-safe-at-the-nail-salon-346813

Unfortunately, nail salons are not regulated heavily and that means it's up to the consumer to find a good place. This is changing slowly.

I hope your recovery is a speedy one. :)

Fwiw nail places are cited as being places that make handy venues for people trafficking too. For some bizarre reason I feel somewhere that did not take care of its equipment/ customers hygiene well might be a more likely spot for this form of modern day slavery. I have no idea of the validity of this rather huge logical leap.

This is possible I suppose. I think a lot of times they're just cheap or don't care that cutting corners can cause issues like spreading infections. I typically don't go to nail salons, especially the plaza places that tend to be cheaply priced and use chemicals they probably shouldn't be using. If your nail tech is wearing a mask, be wary of what they're subjecting you to. Because I do my own nails, I don't have to worry too much, but when I do go I prefer a local day spa that doesn't cost much more than a plaza place and offers more natural options and excellent customer service.

I came here to look for the name of the product CnC swore by (miss her, btw) and thought I'd give this thread a bump, because I enjoyed the posts.

Nothing fancy, just plain blue nail polish that's been on since Monday, weirdly pink fingers and totally unkempt cuticles. Pink fingers and unkempt cuticles are basically my trademark.

I'm sure someone else has something nicer to offer.

Oh, and a tiny lemon. :)

that’s a lovely colour and goes well with the yellow of the lemon!

i am in love with this colour right now

Attachments

• 2EBFE60B-53C4-4ADD-9DBB-3BAD58608603.jpg
    2EBFE60B-53C4-4ADD-9DBB-3BAD58608603.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
I came here to look for the name of the product CnC swore by (miss her, btw) and thought I'd give this thread a bump, because I enjoyed the posts.

Nothing fancy, just plain blue nail polish that's been on since Monday, weirdly pink fingers and totally unkempt cuticles. Pink fingers and unkempt cuticles are basically my trademark.

That’s a pretty color! I miss CnC too. :)

My hands are not nice right now. Today is the first day I’ve put my rings on in weeks because they’ve been in a rather unfortunate state. Maybe I’ll post a picture sometime soon. I have some pretty new colors to share.

Gosh damnit, I thought it would be your toes. :( Anyways, nice color.

My nails are not in a good state recently, because I keep picking them and the cuticles a lot. Stress levels run pretty high right now. But I'm dead set on reviving this thread! :D

This is the color I've worn the most this year, I think. If you don't look closely (and luckily nobody ever does), the nails look okay even if the polish is a bit chipped and I've had to patch it up, because it's such a neutral color and not high gloss. But at the same time it makes the nails and hands in general look much better looked after (which in my case couldn't be farther from the truth). So, good color!

that’s a lovely colour and goes well with the yellow of the lemon!

i am in love with this colour right now
That's a very summery color! I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing it, but looks good on you. :)

That’s a pretty color! I miss CnC too. :)

My hands are not nice right now. Today is the first day I’ve put my rings on in weeks because they’ve been in a rather unfortunate state. Maybe I’ll post a picture sometime soon. I have some pretty new colors to share.
Yes, do post! You always had such an amazing collection of nail polish.

Gosh damnit, I thought it would be your toes. :( Anyways, nice color.

Nah. I've posted one pic of my toe nails and that was more than pushing my comfort zone. Fingers only from me on this thread.

That's a very summery color! I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing it, but looks good on you. :)

Yes, do post! You always had such an amazing collection of nail polish.

Nah. I've posted one pic of my toe nails and that was more than pushing my comfort zone. Fingers only from me on this thread.

I would like to. :) My hands are healing so maybe I will soon. I avoid posting my toes for the most part for the same reason.

I have a pretty new “Cherry blossom” color that I’m exited to wear. I hope I can post sometime this week.

Ya know. This is actually funny. So, I don't usually spend money on myself. Too many obligations. This year for my birthday I really wanted to do something for myself as I was alone
I gave in and got a mani/pedi. It has really made me feel good about me.

Attachments

• 20180628_175514.jpg
    20180628_175514.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
Ya know. This is actually funny. So, I don't usually spend money on myself. Too many obligations. This year for my birthday I really wanted to do something for myself as I was alone
I gave in and got a mani/pedi. It has really made me feel good about me.

Another great color!

Years ago I had a perfect red nail polish that I loved to bits, but it was a seasonal edition and I used it up. It was just the right deep tone with just enough blue. Absolutely loved it.

I haven't been able to find a red that pretty since, but this comes quite close, should be just a tad darker. :)

This one was actually a touch purple it was called Pompeii purple by OPI

hqdefault.jpg

Banana-Nails-%E2%80%93-Yummy-Fruit-Nail-Art-Designs-On-Instagram-To-Drool-Over.jpg

Thread revival because it's summer! Anybody done anything fun with their nails lately?

I dotted up my toes. So much fun posting this after the professional pics above, but whatevs. Ignore the weirdness of my toes and the so not professionality of it all. I still need to fix the edges a little. But I just wanted to revive this thread and it's never been about being professional on this thread anyways. :)

Essie Mint Candy Apple and Sally Hansen Pep-Plum, in case somebody's interested.

The dots look good to me seela.

Cute toes, so petite. Perhaps a repeat this summer for you, mint colour please.

The dots look good to me seela.

Cute toes, so petite. Perhaps a repeat this summer for you, mint colour please.

Thanks! The dots are so difficult to keep neat and even. Especially on my right hand there's a lot to be wished for in that department.

I've been mostly wearing quite neutral colors on my toes lately, because I haven't had the patience for doing them very often. Maybe I'll do the mint soon. It might be nice with a green dress that I have. 🤔

Now, cookie, where are the nails you mentioned a while back? I bumped this thread hoping you'd post a pic, too. :)

Back