Makeup Freaks

Another PM question:

Dear Makeup Fairy,

Is there a fool proof, inexpensive way to use tanning products at home without it coming out uneven? I was thinking of trying the mist sprays, because creams never work for me.


Yes, tanning is very easy once you get the steps down.

1. When showering before your tan, exfoliate all areas that the tan will be applied to thoroughly. Shave any rough or wiry hair on any areas that the tan will be applied to, such as legs, arms, pubic hair, etc.

2. Apply a moisturizer on ankles and elbows so as to avoid them becoming too dark.

3. Apply the tan. Use upwards and sideways strokes and blend VERY WELL. Don't forget the tops of the feet, and the back. When it comes to any self-tanner, such as sprays, creams, foams, whatever, you want to take THREE times as much time to apply it as you would lotion. So, if you take one minute to blend in your lotion on one leg, take three minutes. The more you blend, and the more "different direction" strokes you use, the more natural and even your tan will come out.

4. Wash hands with warm soapy water, at least twice. Orange palms=not sexy.

5. Allow the tan to dry completely before dressing. Don't shower or get wet in any way (exercise, swim, etc.) for at least eight hours after application.


The other two tips I'd love to share are using disposable latex gloves to avoid tanning your palms altogether and then use a make-up sponge to apply to the backs of your hands and to your face :)
 
Is there a quick way of fighting break outs that doesn't require unique products?
 
Is there a quick way of fighting break outs that doesn't require unique products?

Sure.

Cleanse your face with your normal cleanser, then apply toothpaste to the pimples. Sleep in it overnight, and you should see a marked reduction in pimple redness and size!
 
A PM question:

Dear Makeup Fairy,

In the past year or two, my left eyelid has taken to drooping. I don't exactly have the money for plastic surgery to fix it, and I can't figure out how to do my makeup to disguise it a little. It's harder to disguise things on your eyes, anyway, because you have to make your makeup look symmetrical.

it's like the fold in my left eyelid is thicker or fatter or something than the other, so it makes the eye look smaller. I can't come up with anything that hides it successfully, so if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.


I can absolutely help with this!

As a Native American girl, I've struggled with monolids my entire life. I've always envied Caucasian girls and their large deep-set eyelids, they certainly have a lot more fun with their eyeshadow than I do, for sure.

Anyway, most of the time, girls with monolids and women who need symmetry with their eyelids use eyelid tape, or eyelid glue. This is extremely common for Asian women, but less so for Americans and particularly Caucasian Americans.

Koji is a brand of Asian products that makes eyelid glue that's VERY popular. It's cheap, you can get it on Amazon for chump change.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1604444...PriceItemTypes

There are several tutorials on youtube about how to use eyelid glue. This girl actually does a VERY good tutorial, and she speaks perfect English so it's incredibly helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7nM0ZUFoU
 
I've heard about the toothpaste way, just wasn't sure if I had misheard it.

Thanks! I'm using that tonight for sure.
 
SatinDesire .....

Question if I may kindly ask :) yes we all know the negative aspects about sunbathing and sitting out on the sun nevertheless I do sit out during the summer cause I just loooove that bronze tanned look :)

What is the best way to keep my color on my face where I often find myself obtaining this nice color during the weekend and by Wednesday of that week I find my skin peeling already and I'm losing the color so if I dont sun out again that Saturday it's almost as if I hadn't sunbathe at all :( ?? TIA
 
SatinDesire .....

Question if I may kindly ask :) yes we all know the negative aspects about sunbathing and sitting out on the sun nevertheless I do sit out during the summer cause I just loooove that bronze tanned look :)

What is the best way to keep my color on my face where I often find myself obtaining this nice color during the weekend and by Wednesday of that week I find my skin peeling already and I'm losing the color so if I dont sun out again that Saturday it's almost as if I hadn't sunbathe at all :( ?? TIA

You can get that bronzed look without risking skin cancer and premature aging, with self tanner. I'm a fair skinned redhead, but I often employ the uses of a self tanner in the summer when I'm wearing more skin-baring clothing.

If you're losing your tan on your face quicker than the rest of your body (extremely common, I may add), then using a bronzer on your face to help it match the rest of your body would be the best thing I could suggest.

Also, let me remind you that you can die from skin cancer, sweetheart. YOU CAN DIE from sunbathing. Deadly skin cancer is now one of the most common forms of cancer and one of the deadliest these days, it's rate has increased by something like 300% in the last ten years. Keep that in mind the next time you want that "sun kissed" look, okay honey?
 
A PM Question:

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I do take pretty good care of my skin by exfoliating, moisturising, keeping hands off face (a toughie) - however, I am plagued with black heads on my nose, and at around my mouth, right at the seam of the lips (usually top and corners) irritating bumps that are like black heads but minus the black. Do you have any tips to remove them? I tried those biore strips, but after a two days, they were back.


Blackhead removal is often something that is best done by a professional, during a facial. If it's possible to fit into your budget, you should go and get a facial at least once a month, and ask them specifically for a blackhead extraction treatment.

A blackhead is caused by excess oil that has clogged a pore. This clog occurs when the built-up oil is unable to flow to the surface of the skin due to a misshapen or impaired pore and dead skin cells blocking the way. When the pore is open, the oil is exposed to oxygen, which reacts and turns it a dark color, resulting in a black head.

* Hormones are the leading cause of increased oil production. An increase in the male hormones, androgens, will increase the natural production of oil in your skin causing more oil to build up in the pores, often times resulting in the appearance of black heads.

* The next big culprit in blackhead formation is the use of skin-care products or make-up. These products will mix with your body's natural oil and add to the build-up that can block pores.

Some tips to PREVENT blackheads from coming back:

1) Using an skin exfoliant that contains 1% or 2% (BHA or Salicylic Acid) will penetrate the lining of the pore. If you are unable to use BHAs, you could use products containing alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), however these acids are only good for surface exfoliation because they do not penetrate the pore lining.

2) Absorb excess oil. If you have oily skin, try using a clay mask that does not contain mint, peppermint or any other irritating ingredients. This will absorb the oil that may clog the pore. Also, oil-absorbing papers may help to reduce the oil in your pores. You can carry these in your purse or makeup bag and use them periodically during the day to soak up any oil on your face, also, it lessens your need to touch-up shininess with powder!
 
I actually shave my legs using hair conditioner. It makes them lovely and soft after as well.

Snog Marry Avoid, I'm an addict!
 
Since I don't wear makeup and like my appearance as is, I don't actually have a question. I would like to say, though, that this is a very interesting thread from the perspective of learning what, exactly, it is that many women and some men do to chance their appearance. :D
 
A PM Question!

Dear Make Up Fairy,

I have sensitive, fair skin on my face. A while back someone talked me into waxing my lip, and I ended up doing it on a regular basis until about a year or so ago. Obviously, the barely there lip hair is now a problem, but my concern is not exactly that. I have two darker skin pathes on my upper lip from (I think) the numerous waxing sessions and have no idea what to do to make them go away. The skin does not feel different, but it looks it, almost like a permanant splotch of "tanner" skin. I think it may be scarring, but I am not 100% sure. I searched online & the only solution I found was fade cream, but have not tried it as I don't know if that is going to help at all. Any advice?

Many thanks!


Hyperpigmentation is a common, usually harmless condition in which patches of skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin. Hyperpigmentation can affect the skin color of people of any race. Melasma or chloasma spots are similar in appearance to age spots but are larger areas of darkened skin that appear most often as a result of hormonal changes. Pregnancy, for example, can trigger overproduction of melanin that causes the "mask of pregnancy" on the face and darkened skin on the abdomen and other areas. Women who take birth control pills may also develop hyperpigmentation because their bodies undergo similar kind of hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. If one is really bothered by the pigment, the birth control pills should be stopped.

Changes in skin color can result from outside causes. For example, skin diseases such as acne may leave dark spots after the condition clears. Other causes of dark spots are injuries to the skin, including some surgeries. Freckles are small brown spots that can appear anywhere on the body, but are most common on the face and arms. Freckles are an inherited characteristic.

Freckles, age spots, and other darkened skin patches can become darker or more pronounced when skin is exposed to the sun. This happens because melanin absorbs the energy of the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays in order to protect he skin from overexposure. The usual result of this process is skin tanning, which tends to darken areas that are already hyperpigmented. Wearing a sunscreen is a must. The sunscreen must be "broad spectrum" (i.e. it blocks both UVA and UVB). A single day of excess sun can undo months of treatment.

Skin lightening or "fading" creams can be highly effective when used correctly and further damage is avoided by staying out of the sun. You want to make sure you're getting a fading cream that contains a small percentage of Topical hydroquinone (2% for over the counter cosmetic lotions and creams) in order to lighten the darkened tissue. In medical literature, hydroquinone is considered the primary topical ingredient for inhibiting melanin production.

Hydroquinone is a strong inhibitor of melanin production, meaning that it prevents skin from making the substance responsible for skin color. Hydroquinone does not bleach the skin but lightens it, and can only disrupt the synthesis and production of melanin hyperpigmentation. It has been banned in some countries (e.g. France) because of fears of a cancer risk.

The research when it comes to topical application indicates negative reactions are minor or a result of using extremely high concentrations or from other skin-lightening agents such as glucocorticoids or mercury iodine. This is particularly true in Africa where adulterated skin lightening products are commonplace. As long as you get your products from a reputable source, you shouldn't have ANY issues along these lines!

Some research has shown topical azelaic acid in 15% to 20% concentrations to be as effective as hydroquinone with a decreased risk of irritation. Tretinoin by itself has also been shown to be useful in treating hyperpigmentation of sun-damaged skin. Kojic acid, alone or in combination with glycolic acid or hydroquinone, also has shown good results due to its inhibitory action on tyrosinase (though kojic acid has had problems in terms of stability and potential negative effects on the skin and is rarely used today). Several plant extracts and vitamin C also have some research showing them to be effective for inhibiting melanin production, so a product containing any of these chemicals should work very well for your skin lightening issue.
 
Last edited:
You can get that bronzed look without risking skin cancer and premature aging, with self tanner. I'm a fair skinned redhead, but I often employ the uses of a self tanner in the summer when I'm wearing more skin-baring clothing.

If you're losing your tan on your face quicker than the rest of your body (extremely common, I may add), then using a bronzer on your face to help it match the rest of your body would be the best thing I could suggest.

Also, let me remind you that you can die from skin cancer, sweetheart. YOU CAN DIE from sunbathing. Deadly skin cancer is now one of the most common forms of cancer and one of the deadliest these days, it's rate has increased by something like 300% in the last ten years. Keep that in mind the next time you want that "sun kissed" look, okay honey?

Thanks Satin !!! Great advice and will more than likely use more and more of that spray on kind of tanning :) Thanks again !
 
Summer is the quintessential time for smooth and sexy legs. But shaving can be a hassle, not to mention painful.

What's truly funny about shaving is that dads often teach their sons how to shave properly, but moms never seem to teach their daughters how to, perhaps thinking it would just "come naturally" to them. Truly, like all things in life, it needs to be taught.

<snip>

This is actually great advice for those who wax as well. Thank you for putting it up :rose:
 
This is actually great advice for those who wax as well. Thank you for putting it up :rose:

Well, no, not actually. Because waxing removes the top layer of skin, a woman should NEVER exfoliate before waxing. It could cause serious damage to the skin!

The aftercare stands for both shaving and waxing people, but exfoliation should be used for pre-shave only! ^_^
 
Well, no, not actually. Because waxing removes the top layer of skin, a woman should NEVER exfoliate before waxing. It could cause serious damage to the skin!

The aftercare stands for both shaving and waxing people, but exfoliation should be used for pre-shave only! ^_^

Sorry, I should have been much more clear... exfoliation in between waxing. Not before (not only because of the potential damage but also the pain can be unpleasant) and certainly not directly after. Bah!! This is what happens when I'm confuddled :rolleyes:
 
And Dear Make-up Fairy,

I was wondering if you could recommend a lengthening mascara? I used wear Oreal Double Extend, and while I love the look, I really don't like the flaking.

Thank you in advance.

:rose:
 
tightline3.jpg


I always try to do this, but for some reason I always poke myself in the eye!!!
 
Sorry, I should have been much more clear... exfoliation in between waxing. Not before (not only because of the potential damage but also the pain can be unpleasant) and certainly not directly after. Bah!! This is what happens when I'm confuddled :rolleyes:

Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification! :D

And Dear Make-up Fairy,

I was wondering if you could recommend a lengthening mascara? I used wear Oreal Double Extend, and while I love the look, I really don't like the flaking.

Thank you in advance.

:rose:

Absolutely!

One of the best lengthening mascaras has got to be Maybelline's Lash Discovery mascara. I know it doesn't say "lengthening" anywhere on the label, but it's skinny little mini-brush finds every single hair on your eyelid, even the ones in mid-growth cycle, and makes them look longer and much thicker. The tiny brush is fantastic for lower lashes, too, and minimizes mistakes! Large brushes often are clumsy and make a real mess when lower lashes are concerned.

Larger brushes are NOT better when it comes to thickening and lengthening the lashes. I've noticed that the smaller brushes do much better, and you also can get into hard-to-reach corners of your eyes without poking or smearing!

http://www.maybelline.com/product/eye/mascara/lash-discovery-mini-brush-waterproof-mascara.htm

Try the waterproof. I never had issues with flaking, it's actually a super-strong formula that resists even GOOD makeup remover. To get every last trace off your lashes, you'll have to use Vaseline.

I always try to do this, but for some reason I always poke myself in the eye!!!

Try tilting your chin way up towards the ceiling and looking DOWN into your mirror. A magnification mirror will eliminate poking risks!
 
Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification! :D

That is the word du jour for me, apparently. Clarify clarify clarify :D

Absolutely!

One of the best lengthening mascaras has got to be Maybelline's Lash Discovery mascara. I know it doesn't say "lengthening" anywhere on the label, but it's skinny little mini-brush finds every single hair on your eyelid, even the ones in mid-growth cycle, and makes them look longer and much thicker. The tiny brush is fantastic for lower lashes, too, and minimizes mistakes! Large brushes often are clumsy and make a real mess when lower lashes are concerned.

Larger brushes are NOT better when it comes to thickening and lengthening the lashes. I've noticed that the smaller brushes do much better, and you also can get into hard-to-reach corners of your eyes without poking or smearing!

http://www.maybelline.com/product/eye/mascara/lash-discovery-mini-brush-waterproof-mascara.htm

Try the waterproof. I never had issues with flaking, it's actually a super-strong formula that resists even GOOD makeup remover. To get every last trace off your lashes, you'll have to use Vaseline.

Thank you:rose: :kiss:! I'll pick it up over the weekend!!
 
Welcome back Makeup Freaks!

The fairy broke down and decided on getting some highlights, so I wanted to share with you my personal tips for caring for color-treated hair!

Highlights can look amazing and summery, perfect for hot-weather months, but improperly cared for highlights can be dull, straw-like and prone to breakage. Maintaining the integrity and strength of your color-treated hair will make those highlights really shine!

First, I cannot stress this enough. If you chemically process your hair, please keep heat to a minimum. Blow dryers, flat irons and curling tongs can seriously wreck even strong healthy hair in a manner of WEEKS! Only heat process your colored hair when it's absolutely necessary.

Next, a solid regimen of washing and conditioning your hair with moisturizing products made specifically for processed hair is a must. I use Dove Intense Therapy shampoo and conditioner, and I -never- shampoo more than twice a week. Your scalp absolutely NEEDS the healthy oils that it produces in order to maintain the strength and shine of your hair, not to mention keep it from drying out and producing flakes and itchiness, so please keep shampooing to a minimum.

The way you wash your hair is just as important as how often you wash it. Make sure your hair is soaking wet, then apply the shampoo to your hands, then work gently through the hair closest to your scalp. Scrub gently to avoid breakage and tangling, using the tips of your fingers to work the lather through every section of your hair close to your scalp. Unless the bottom section of your hair is really dirty, DO NOT take the lather through the ends. Allow the rinse water to take the shampoo (diluted for gentleness' sake) through the ends as you rinse.

Make sure all of the shampoo is completely rinsed out, then wring out as much of the water from your hair as you can. Apply the conditioner in the same manner to your hands, although you should work the conditioner from the ENDS of your hair up to your scalp. Allow the conditioner to set in your hair for the remainder of your shower, and rinse thoroughly before exiting the shower.

Squeeze the water out of your hair with a large fluffy towel. DO NOT SCRUB YOUR HAIR! This will 'rough up' the cuticle and make your hair dry and dull. Feel free to comb your hair at this point, with a soft-tip wide-tooth comb. Do not brush your hair with a hairbrush while it's wet, this causes the hair to break.

When the dripping has stopped, apply your leave-in products. I use Chi's Silk Reconstructing serum, it contains real silk protein to strengthen and protect hair from wind, heat, and pollution!

All in all, protecting and maintaining your color-treated hair with gentle moisturizing products is the key to beautiful, shiny and strong hair. Hair is one of the most important things that make women beautiful, don't neglect it!

If you would like more information on maintaining chemically processed hair, or any of the products I've listed above, feel free to ask here or in PM's.
 
Gray Eyes

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I've had my makeup professionally done a handful of times, and each time I do, my gray eyes pop and look great. Unfortunately, I've never been able to duplicate the look on my own. The natural gray is very light and bright but makeup done wrong makes my irises appear darker than they are. If you need other info, my skin tone is very fair (think sunburn in five minutes without sunscreen even in the shade) and dark brunette hair with natural red highlights.

I've asked the professionals while they do it, and one told me to use a neutral beige eyeshadow, the tightline technique you've already mentioned, and a lash-lengthening mascara. Following that advice made my eyes pop, but they looked brownish blue, not gray. Another told me to use a silver-sheen eye shadow carefully blended, apply a narrow line of liner just above and below my lash lines, and use a lash-plumping mascara. Following that advice on my own did give my eyes the gray look I'm looking for, but the overall affect was that of a freakshow out of the 80s. (I couldn't remove the makeup fast enough. That's just not appropriate for anything other than a goofy theme party.)

I currently go with the first set of advice even though it mutes the natural color; it looks good but makes my eyes appear a mid- to dark-blue or dark'ish-gray. I know the gray color is already susceptible to changes in appearance based upon mood and lighting - something about reduced or reflective pigment? or something - but what color combination and products will get that bright, light POP that's gray, not brown or blue or green?

Also, when I first started down the makeup road, my grandmother told me that baby wipes are a safe, gentle, inexpensive makeup remover. Sometimes I spring for the pricier products, sometimes I've used the baby products. Was she right or wrong?

Thanks, Makeup Fairy!
 
Thanks for your question Scribbles!



I've asked the professionals while they do it, and one told me to use a neutral beige eyeshadow, the tightline technique you've already mentioned, and a lash-lengthening mascara. Following that advice made my eyes pop, but they looked brownish blue, not gray. Another told me to use a silver-sheen eye shadow carefully blended, apply a narrow line of liner just above and below my lash lines, and use a lash-plumping mascara. Following that advice on my own did give my eyes the gray look I'm looking for, but the overall affect was that of a freakshow out of the 80s. (I couldn't remove the makeup fast enough. That's just not appropriate for anything other than a goofy theme party.)

I can TOTALLY help you with this! My eyes are a dark blue-gray, and to make the color "pop", dark eyeshadow can really make those irises sparkle! Use jet black eyeliner in pencil or better yet, real kohl, smudged with a cotton swab on both the top and bottom eyelid. Liquid line the top eyelid with jet black liquid to 'set' the pencil and keep it from smudging.

Eyeshadows can really make or break a look, especially with girls with gray eyes. I always use a primer for my eyeshadow to intensify the color, because drab shades don't make the cut for gray eyes.

I use purples, grays, and cream colors to really bring out the gray tones in my irises. Use dark 'cool-toned' purples with lots of shimmer,
tutorial_purplesmoke030.jpg


Mid-to-dark 'cool-toned' grays,

gray-smokey-eyes-with-mac-azreal-blue-pigment-and-jane-clubbing-eyeshadow.jpg


and creamy, beige, tan, and other 'flesh toned' eyeshadows to bring out the gray.

NARS+Voyage.jpg



Also, when I first started down the makeup road, my grandmother told me that baby wipes are a safe, gentle, inexpensive makeup remover. Sometimes I spring for the pricier products, sometimes I've used the baby products. Was she right or wrong?

Baby wipes are a GREAT way to remove makeup! They're super gentle, safe, CHEAP and good for normal makeup removal. Long-wearing makeup may be difficult to impossible to remove with just a baby wipe, however, so if you use waterproof mascara and liners, lip and cheek stains, and long-wearing foundations, you may be better off using an actual makeup-removing wipe.
 
I have blue-gray eyes (more blue than gray). I do midtone gray on the bottom, a purple or blue color on the crease, and light gray on top. I'm a big fan of liquid liner, but I find, as I get older, that black looks too harsh. Dark gray liquid liner works PERFECTLY. And black mascara, of course.
 
Back
Top