A Nudge in the Right Direction

Thank you to so many for being compasses, rope to stop me drifting and indeed the very boat that be keeping me afloat [.....]
Pay it forward.

I am getting stronger. I promise I will be there for someone here if you need an ear.

7b90bf89030e8241e691722b292770ed--mariners-compass-vintage-gifts.jpg

a compass for your ship at sea dear Elle.
 
Last edited:
a point of interest regarding compasses...

Navigation: The Mariner's Magnetic Compass


By the late sixteenth century, the mariner's compass had evolved into an instrument not very different from the compass of today. The case in which the compass itself is housed was made of wood or ivory in the early days. After that, brass came into use since it does not affect the magnetic needle.

The Pole Star (Polaris) served as the seaman's lodestar (or star that shows the way). Therefore the magnetic stone which was used to magnetize the compass needle was called a lodestone. The magnetic, direction-finding property of the lodestone had been discovered in China as early as the twelfth century.

By the sixteenth century, the mariner's compass was made with a soft iron wire bent to a lozenge shape and attached to the underside of a circular compass card, which was suspended at the center on an upright needle.

Because the iron wire tended to lose its magnetism over a period of time, it was necessary for each ship to carry a good lodestone to re-magnetize the wire when it weakened.

There was one basic problem encountered in the use of the mariner's compass: The magnetized wire in the compass was drawn by large land masses. This caused the compass to have variations in its readings. The mariners and mathematicians of this early period were concerned about this problem, and a number of corrective measures were tried.

And yes... a sextant is often used as an adjunct tool for mariners. But ships have both compasses and sextants. Modern boaters rarely use sextants. For my small human powered boats, I personally rely on a mariner's compass.

mmcompass.jpg
 
Most times, the worst of situations can become a compass to the best of situations.
Ikechukwu Izuakor
 
Thank you to so many for being compasses, rope to stop me drifting and indeed the very boat that be keeping me afloat these last weeks.

I'm doing better. Making right some smaller wrongs in my persona
Life. Repairing friendships.

I said on another board and I repeat here though k am not a playgrounder, from here help was strong . So strong I could FEEL it, I have never asked for help like I did in this period of time. I am a strong woman.

But there was too much. Too much all at one time. And even asking for help made things worse at first!

There is help in your friends, real life and here. Some of the best help I had was here. People checking on me daily. Still not gone. Making sure I get through.

Making sure I make the right decisions for me. Advising not pushing.


A small note; It is NEVeR ok to hit on someone in distress. Even if you feel you were waiting for over s year.

Another note: literotica is not entitled to know everything. A few people who I met at lit but who are 'real' friends know most of what I have been facing. Because I needed help.

Pay it forward.

I am getting stronger. I promise I will be there for someone here if you need an ear. You don't have to know me. If my pm box is closed or full just ask on a thread when I am back properly.

.
Hugs!!
 
A compass is for land, for sea voyages one uses a sextant. At one time, I knew how to use one. However when you don't use it you lose it so it's use now is as foreign to me as an abacus. Or a slide rule, and which unlike the abacus inactually knew how to use at one point in my life.


Thanks professor. Try reading the OP?
 
Dear compass bearing Litsters~

Thank you thank you thank you each and every one of you who has held a compass for me these last many many weeks.
It has been a roller coaster like none other in my life.
but today, this compulsory non- amusing ride seems to have pulled into the station,
and I have disembarked, a bit discombobulated but, otherwise no worse for wear.
Turns out I am a bit weird, but I have nothing at all that requires treatment.
Thanks be to all that is holy in heaven and earth.

:heart:

voPp9aH.jpg
 
Holding a compass and a light in the darkness for you my most excellent friend, my darling.
I know you are afraid. I know you are deeply worried for your people.
I have lit a candle. And prayers are now being sent continuously until this hard time resolves.

Know that I hold you and yours in my heart. You have but to say the word and I will do whatever I can.
:rose::heart::rose:
Your bnb girl
~k
6Q7rcC5.png

ciRFBOx.jpg
 
I know I am not alone in holding this Litster in my heart and prayers as she grieves the ultimate loss of the love of her life. Not enough time. And such a cruel disease.

Holding a compass for you cc

:heart:

1pxbFAf.jpg


the sand almost glitters - lol
 
Last edited:
tumblr_or8xogmwSS1sb14fgo1_1280.jpg


A compass for all those recovering from the hurricanes.
Especially Puerto Rico.
May they receive the assistance they need to rebuild their beautiful island.
 
tumblr_or8xogmwSS1sb14fgo1_1280.jpg


A compass for all those recovering from the hurricanes.
Especially Puerto Rico.
May they receive the assistance they need to rebuild their beautiful island.

I second this. I thank you for your posts. They mean a lot. The US is but a natural disaster from this level of destruction. We have seen this happen in different areas in different states, but the magnitude of the devastation this brings should never be trivialized.

I am not from Puerto Rico nor Puerto Rican, but you don't have to be to feel sincere empathy for them.
 
I second this. I thank you for your posts. They mean a lot. The US is but a natural disaster from this level of destruction. We have seen this happen in different areas in different states, but the magnitude of the devastation this brings should never be trivialized.

I am not from Puerto Rico nor Puerto Rican, but you don't have to be to feel sincere empathy for them.

You are welcome. It breaks my heart to see US citizens without water, and food and electricity. And the assistance is arriving so slowly. Especially to the rural areas. They will need rebuilding assistance for months, if not years to come.
 
You are welcome. It breaks my heart to see US citizens without water, and food and electricity. And the assistance is arriving so slowly. Especially to the rural areas. They will need rebuilding assistance for months, if not years to come.

How well you treat the most unfortunate speaks volumes. Money can be thrown at an issue, but manpower is needed in order for the money's effectiveness to take hold. This is not just for a city.

Yes, US citizens SHOULD be treated with respect and dignity. Human beings period SHOULD be treated like one.
 
yRjNqC8.jpg


J ~
thank you for being my true friend :heart:
holding a compass for you as you hold one for me
know how proud I am of you. today and forever.

~k

:kiss::kiss::kiss:
 
Back
Top