Serious Question

bg23

motherfuckin'sparklepony
Is there actually a legitimate argument against the labelling of GMO foods?

Is there anyone here who actually really opposes this?

Why?

It's something that strikes me as completely incomprehensible how it's still not happening, despite what I've read indicating that the vast majority of Americans supporting it.

Go, peanut gallery.

Why?

It's something that strikes me as completely incomprehensible how it's still not happening, despite what I've read indicating that the vast majority of Americans supporting it.

Go, peanut gallery.

I guess the fact that all food is genetically modified. Why label everything? Seems like a silly waste of time and money.

I guess the fact that all food is genetically modified. Why label everything? Seems like a silly waste of time and money.

Oh wow, is that true? I guess it hasn't actually reached that point here in Australia yet because the food I eat will label itself as non GMO, and that's a lot of the stuff I see on shelves. But if basically everything is GMO and there's only like 5 things on the shelves that are organic any more you might as well just go with what explicitly states that it isn't.

Though I can't imagine it'd cost that much more for a company to just write, "contains GMO" in tiny print on the bottom of the label or something.

I just saw this and it made me wonder.

1003000_493738657375243_1924726500_n.jpg

Oh wow, is that true? I guess it hasn't actually reached that point here in Australia yet because the food I eat will label itself as non GMO, and that's a lot of the stuff I see on shelves. But if basically everything is GMO and there's only like 5 things on the shelves that are organic any more you might as well just go with what explicitly states that it isn't.

Though I can't imagine it'd cost that much more for a company to just write, "contains GMO" in tiny print on the bottom of the label or something.

I just saw this and it made me wonder.

1003000_493738657375243_1924726500_n.jpg

Even your organic food has been genetically modified at some point. It's just part of agriculture. There's nothing wrong with it. Nothing about it can hurt you unless some evil genius decides to mix corn with rabid buffalo or something.

Come to think of it a rabid Cornuffalo might be kinda cool.

I was just thinking that.

I think I'm hungry because the words "buffalo" and "corn" just made me think of some kind of tasty savory snack.

Also, this is the cutest mutant lemon ever:

Angry%20Lemon%20(fiere).jpg

I had read one of the biggest arguing points was how a company (Monsanto) would modify a food to be highly resistant to its Roundup, then of course you'd have to use Roundup as you bought their seeds, then the food grown would absorb tons of the stuff, making its way to your plate. For extra flavor of course. ---- Of course when it comes to the money portion of it, those that contribute the most to campaign funds get the most in return by way of laws and regulations. Corporations rule buster, better believe it. All hail Monsanto! Or I could just be full of shit.

I had read one of the biggest arguing points was how a company (Monsanto) would modify a food to be highly resistant to its Roundup, then of course you'd have to use Roundup as you bought their seeds, then the food grown would absorb tons of the stuff, making its way to your plate. For extra flavor of course. ---- Of course when it comes to the money portion of it, those that contribute the most to campaign funds get the most in return by way of laws and regulations. Corporations rule buster, better believe it. All hail Monsanto! Or I could just be full of shit.

That doesn't even make sense.

That doesn't even make sense.

You're right I should just stick with insurance

Roundup is the vegetation killer, supposed to make it easy to keep weeds/grass etc out of your garden, a plant modified to be resistant to it will not die but often absorbs it instead

Last edited:
You're right I should just stick with insurance

Roundup is the vegetation killer, supposed to make it easy to keep weeds/grass etc out of your garden, a plant modified to be resistant to it will not die but often absorbs it instead

Things don't always work like you think they do.

Why?

Go, peanut gallery.

What do you think grafting is ? What do you think hybridization is ?

The question is, is there enough evidence that GMO food (whatever that is - genetic manipulation in a lab instead of genetic manipulation in an orchard?) is worse than regular food, either for the eater or for the environment (which is being screwed by most argicultural industry anyway due to biohomonization, so meh).

If that is not verified, then it's mandated FUD meant to stifle competition in the marketplace.

KRC's got this one. From the the time we first planted our own crops instead of following them around by region and season, we've been making GMO's. Those nice orange oranges and yellow bananas you're buying "organic" are GMOs. That locally grown lettuce and spinach you're eating is a GMO. Organic meat is a GMO; there would be very few cows roaming around without our changing and maximizing their eating and breeding habits.

It's stupid health-food-store hysteria, and if you wait long enough, it will be replaced by something else, like "overgreened grass-foods" or some such.

KRC's got this one. From the the time we first planted our own crops instead of following them around by region and season, we've been making GMO's. Those nice orange oranges and yellow bananas you're buying "organic" are GMOs. That locally grown lettuce and spinach you're eating is a GMO. Organic meat is a GMO; there would be very few cows roaming around without our changing and maximizing their eating and breeding habits.

It's stupid health-food-store hysteria, and if you wait long enough, it will be replaced by something else, like "overgreened grass-foods" or some such.

Rabid Cornuffalos. Just wait.

Actually, Liar's got this one. There's a world of difference between genetic manipulation in a lab and genetic manipulation in an orchard. Genetic manipulation in a lab makes it possible to mix genetic material between organisms that could never breed with each other, the effects of which on the environment and the human body are largely unknown. Adding genetic material from an apple to trout might leads to trout that tastes like apple, but the same DNA used in the process could also create a new predator species that kills all other fish in the area.

Creating a hybrid 'big' banana from a small, sweet banana and a larger, tasteless banana doesn't pose such risks.

Last edited:
I'm shocked at how many Americans don't care what they eat...well, not really shocked...I kinda expected it:rolleyes:

Actually, Liar's got this one. There's a world of difference between genetic manipulation in a lab and genetic manipulation in an orchard. Genetic manipulation in a lab makes it possible to mix genetic material between organisms that could never breed with each other, the effects of which on the environment and the human body are largely unknown. Adding genetic material from an apple to trout might leads to trout that tastes like apple, but the same DNA used in the process could also create a new predator species that kills all other fish in the area.

Creating a hybrid 'big' banana from a small, sweet banana and a larger, tasteless banana doesn't pose such risks.

The genetic material added to the trouple would be for taste of the flesh. It wouldn't affect the rest of the fish at all. Just doesn't work that way.
The other day I at a grapple. It was ok. I didn't turn into a 50 foot mutant alligator with chainsaws for teeth after eating it and I'm reasonably sure a grape and an apple didn't fuck in the orchard. Pretty sure they made it in a lab.

I suppose it's possible the trouple and the cornuffalo could mate and create a race of super fish that run in herds on the prairie but taste like a cornapple.

But back to the grapple. Cost 3 bucks for four of them. Got them out of curiosity but won't buy them again I don't think. I mean unless they can promise me that I'll turn into a 50 foot mutant alligator with chainsaws for teeth. Then I'll do it.

Back