Looking for Laughs in All the Right Places

I don't mean to take away from Furry Fury's movies thread, but here's a new one on my list: Kiss Them for Me. Starring Cary Grant and Jayne Mansfield, this mid-50s look at the late WW2 period combines smart comedy with a tender look at post-traumatic stress syndrome, which didn't have a name back then. Really quite delightful in its quirkiness. One of Grant's better dramatic roles, too, in fact.

This one belongs here, as it would sully the more serious nature of Furry Fury's movies thread.

Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same (2011) This has all the appearances of being a spoof film. It's in black and white, the special effects are hilariously obvious and cheap (the flying saucer was obviously made from a restaurant take-out container as you can see the corrugations of the aluminum foil), and the story is just nutso crazy. On the planet Zot, the ozone layer is being depleted. Their scientists believe that people overheating from too much emotion are emitting emotional energy that is rising up to deplete the ozone layer. To combat the problem, over-emotional aliens are sent to Earth where they are instructed to fall in love with an earthling. The expectation is that their hearts will be broken and they can return to Zot without further risk to the ozone layer as they'll be incapable of falling in love again.

Hilarity ensues, as they say.

I don't mean to take away from Furry Fury's movies thread, but here's a new one on my list: Kiss Them for Me. Starring Cary Grant and Jayne Mansfield, this mid-50s look at the late WW2 period combines smart comedy with a tender look at post-traumatic stress syndrome, which didn't have a name back then. Really quite delightful in its quirkiness. One of Grant's better dramatic roles, too, in fact.

One of my favorite CG movies is "I Was a Male War Bride."

My two most cherished quirky movies are "Real Genius" and "Meatballs." They both hold a disturbingly autobiographical sense for me.

Another favorite, which kept giving me flashbacks while I was "in treatment" is "The Dream Team." Michael Keaton and Peter Boyle together, again. Be still my heart. (I loved Johnny Dangerously, too.)

One of my favorite CG movies is "I Was a Male War Bride."

My two most cherished quirky movies are "Real Genius" and "Meatballs." They both hold a disturbingly autobiographical sense for me.

Another favorite, which kept giving me flashbacks while I was "in treatment" is "The Dream Team." Michael Keaton and Peter Boyle together, again. Be still my heart. (I loved Johnny Dangerously, too.)

One of my favorite quotes from Cary Grant: "Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. I want to be Cary Grant!"

Just put Meatballs on my Netflix queue after realizing that it's a hole in my Bill Murray list.

One of my favorite quotes from Cary Grant: "Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. I want to be Cary Grant!"

Just put Meatballs on my Netflix queue after realizing that it's a hole in my Bill Murray list.

One of the last coherent stories Mom was telling was about her meeting Cary Grant coming out of the Waldorf-Astoria many years ago. (Sort of) He was in the revolving door, she stepped in behind him, and when she saw his profile and realized who it was, she stopped short. The back, of course ran into her, CG turned around to see what was going on, she made "cow eyes" at him, he smiled and tipped his hat, waved his hand to suggest she get moving, and hung a left out the door. She didn't bother him, but she carried that Moment with her almost to her dying day. :rose:

I can now report that I have watched a Finnish space parody and laughed my ass off. Star Wreck had so many delicious little moments it eminded me a little of Blazing Saddles.

I can now report that I have watched a Finnish space parody and laughed my ass off. Star Wreck had so many delicious little moments it eminded me a little of Blazing Saddles.

Glad to hear you liked it! Maybe I have to watch it at some point too. :)

Back