The Modern Vestal Virgin

I think one of the better points is that the modern Liberal philosophy has moved from religion to cult.

I would argue that it's a collection of cults, plural. Individually they are often at odds with each other with conflicting views/goals. What unifies them is an all consuming hatred of some symbolic boogie man. Without that unifying symbol they'd quickly fall on each other. Observe the actions/statements of the democrat leadership/spokespersons and the reactions of the followers.

To an extent Trump is doing the same thing with the distinct difference being that Trump has an actual stated agenda, a set of defined goals. Outside of certain identified districts, almost always in large population centers, the democrats can't talk about their agenda/goals but must keeping drawing attention to their symbol du jour.

The problem for the democrats is that if they lose the elections they'll have to amp up the hatred. And if they win they're going to have to deliver on those vague promises that their electorate has 'assumed' to be the path to whatever those disparate groups envision. They've got problems no matter what the outcome.
 
In a way, the vestal parallel is the exact same thing as the unassailable victim. Right now 7,000, and growing, vestals are marching on our border and the defense of them from the Left and their lamentations of they're just immigrants, aren't we all just immigrants just may have an effect on the election.
 
In a way, the vestal parallel is the exact same thing as the unassailable victim. Right now 7,000, and growing, vestals are marching on our border and the defense of them from the Left and their lamentations of they're just immigrants, aren't we all just immigrants just may have an effect on the election.

Illegal immigration was a big Trump campaign theme and is still a hot button issue no matter which side you're on. Regarding the caravan, it's alarming to a great part of the electorate. It has all of the attributes of an invasion. Look at the results of the European electoral elections in reaction to their illegal immigrant invasions. I just can't see this as a winning issue for the democrats.
 
Clearly, a whole bunch of people did not read any of the article.

I read the entire screed, Chief.

I can see how you're compelled to post it here, seeing as it visits two of your all-time favorite NotRepublican themes: "slut shaming" and "WE are the REAL victims here".
 
I enjoy this.

But... yhall know that "virgin" was not a real word in Latin or Greek, right? Like it had nothing to do with sexual inexperience.

The word is "parthenos" . . .

That's Greek. Virgo is a Latin word. The Chief Vestal was styled the Virgo Maxima.

Oh, and, BTW, there were only six Vestals -- six at any given time; when one died or retired, some young patrician girl (she had to be patrician) was brought in to replace her.

There's a good literary portrait of all this in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome novels.
 
In a way, the vestal parallel is the exact same thing as the unassailable victim. Right now 7,000, and growing, vestals are marching on our border and the defense of them from the Left and their lamentations of they're just immigrants, aren't we all just immigrants just may have an effect on the election.

Well, I don't know about that -- the Trumpers are a lot more anxious to bar them out than the Dems are to let them in.
 
[Please do not post copyright material without citation, and then limit your excerpts to less than 5 paragraphs, per our forum guidelines.] - Last Warning
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else thinks that this reads like some of these folks are pissed that even "sluts" won't fuck them?
 
Well, I don't know about that -- the Trumpers are a lot more anxious to bar them out than the Dems are to let them in.

I think you mean that the Democrats have no balls and are terrified to speak up as being pro-open borders and pro-immigrant and pro-compassion right before an election that they have to have if they're to make sure that Trump can get nothing done for the next two years.
 
Last edited:
I think you mean that the Democrats have no balls and are terrified to speak up as being pro-open borders and pro-immigrant and pro-compassion right before an election that they have to have if they're to make sure that Trump can get nothing done for the next two years.

No, I don't mean that at all. Certainly, however, making sure Trump can get nothing done for the next two years is an entirely patriotic goal.
 
No, I don't mean that at all. Certainly, however, making sure Trump can get nothing done for the next two years is an entirely patriotic goal.

It was the worst thing in the world when President Obama lost the Congress.
Then it was unpatriotic obstruction; Republicans were unwilling to compromise.
Kind of like the Democrats when they held everything and passed the ACA.
 
Back
Top