Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
oggbashan said:
Semaphore remained a feature of the hospital for several years after her departure as successive patients taught each new patient.

That is so cool. Especially the part about it being passed down to subsequent patients.

Publix features what I guess is a roulade--it's cube steak rolled up with mozzarella cheese and spinach, and then sliced. The slices come in pairs. When we find ourselves alone, (i.e., son has gone out somewhere where he's likely to be fed) it's a relatively painless entrée.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know this one;

quisling - noun a traitor who collaborates with the invaders of his country, esp by serving in a puppet government
 
Does anyone know this one;

quisling - noun a traitor who collaborates with the invaders of his country, esp by serving in a puppet government
Sure do. It's not the way I personally would prefer to be remembered, but....

Vidkun Abraham Lauritz Jonssøn Quisling (July 18, 1887, Fyresdal – October 24, 1945) was a Norwegian army officer and politician, who for a period served as Minister-President of occupied Norway. He worked with Fridtjof Nansen during the famine in the Soviet Union, and served as Minister of Defence in the Bondepartiet government 1931–1933. In 1933 he founded the nationalist party Nasjonal Samling ("National Gathering"), and during World War II, from 1942 to 1945, he served as Minister-President of the collaborationist Norwegian government, after being appointed by the German authorities. After the war he was tried for high treason and executed by firing squad at Akershus Fortress. Today in Norway and other parts of the world, quisling is a synonym for traitor.
 
hegemony: (n) hegemony (the dominance or leadership of one social group or nation over others) "the hegemony of a single member state is not incompatible with a genuine confederation"; "to say they have priority is not to say they have complete hegemony"; "the consolidation of the United States' hegemony over a new international economic system"
 

triglycerides • n., also known as triacylglcerols or neutral fats. Dietetic name: fats; triglycerides consist of three fatty acids, which are esterified with glycerol. They are taken up with food and split in the intestine into glycerol and free fatty acids. They are reassembled to triglycerides in the intestinal mucous membrane and transported through the lymph vessels as chylomicrons (small lipoprotein particles). They are bound in the blood to lipoproteins. Triglycerides can also be formed directly in the body, particularly in the liver, kidneys and heart muscle. These triglycerides are transported in blood as VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoproteins). Triglycerides are especially important for the body as sources of energy. They are stored as depot fat. For pathological increases in triglycerides see hypertriglyceridaemia, hyperlipoproteinaemia. Cf. lipolysis, digestion of neutral fats.









How nice! I discovered that one of my companies has a handy medical/microbiology reference and glossary on its website. In blood chemistry lab tests, triglycerides are measured in either milligrams/deciliter or mole/liter. Current thinking is that triglyceride levels should be below 150 mg/dL or 1.69 mmol/L for adults.


See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglycerides

Code:
Level mg/dL   Level mmol/L    Interpretation 
<150          <1.69           Normal range, low risk 
150-199       1.70-2.25       Borderline high 
200-499       2.26-5.65       High 
>500          >5.65           Very high: high risk







 

autochthonous • 1. adj., [Geology] materials, especially rock masses, that formed in their present location and have not been transported. Fault surfaces can separate indigenous rocks from allochthonous rocks, although some allochthonous rocks are clearly delineated by their differing composition.

Antonym: allochthonous







A characteristic of Brazil's deep offshore petroleum reservoirs ( and the U.S. Gulf of Mexico). The Lula ( formerly Tupi ) field is one of the largest discoveries in recent history.

Exploration and production activities in the deep and ultradeep waters of the northern Gulf of Mexico have led the way to the latest subsalt play. Lessons learned from this play may, in turn, open the way for subsalt exploration in other basins around the world...





http://www.slb.com/~/media/Files/re...w/ors08/aut08/the_prize_beneath_the_salt.ashx


 

autochthonous • 1. adj., [Geology] materials, especially rock masses, that formed in their present location and have not been transported. Fault surfaces can separate indigenous rocks from allochthonous rocks, although some allochthonous rocks are clearly delineated by their differing composition.

Antonym: allochthonous







A characteristic of Brazil's deep offshore petroleum reservoirs ( and the U.S. Gulf of Mexico). The Lula ( formerly Tupi ) field is one of the largest discoveries in recent history.







http://www.slb.com/~/media/Files/re...w/ors08/aut08/the_prize_beneath_the_salt.ashx





Autocthonous comes from the Greek, and refers to creatures, including people, who are considered tohave arisen from the earth. The related French term (autocthone) refers to indigenous peoples.
 
Hello everyone,and thanks for the wonderful and informative posts. Welcome, Vrose.

quidnunc - noun an inquisitive usually small-minded individual: BUSYBODY
 
How about this one to start off the day;

quiddity - noun 1. a. a trifling point: QUIBBLE b. CROTCHET, ECCENTRICITY 2. whatever makes something to be of the type that it is: ESSENCE
 

bosky • 1. adj., wooded; covered by trees or bushes; e.g., a river meandering between bosky banks.







Sonofabitch. How is it possible that I could live as long as I've lived and read as much as I've read and NEVER have encountered ( at least that I can recall ) this word before? Another great Scrabble® word!

I shouldn't be all that surprised that I ran across it in a 1987 biography of Emma Hamilton ( Emma, Lady Hamilton ) written by Flora Fraser. As I've long been interested in the life and exploits of that icon of the British Navy, Lord Nelson, it wasn't surprising that I'd be attracted by the book's title as I traversed the library's shelves looking for something to read. It never occurred to me that the author was the daughter of that superb chronicler of history, Lady Antonia Fraser, until I got the tome home and cracked it open. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I vaguely recall having seen mention of the book way back in the late '80s but I was far too busy doing other things to pick it up at the time. I'm glad serendipity and time have now permitted me the pleasure.





 
Exactly, Trysail. What now?

There was another entry similar to that one in the Qs;

qui vive - noun (from the French, long live who? challenge of a French sentry) 1. CHALLENGE 2. ALERT, LOOKOUT
 
Although this one makes perfect sense to use, I never have;

querulous - adj 1. habitually complaining 2. FRETFUL, WHINING
 

bodge • 1 v., ( the word is apparently British slang ) botch: make a mess of, destroy or ruin; to do a clumsy or inelegant job, usually as a temporary repair;
2. n., a clumsy or inelegant job, usually a temporary repair.







You never know what you're going to find at Watts Up With That— one of today's threads: New climate data term: “bodge”
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/03/31/new-climate-data-term-bodge/




 
In looking up quean, I found this second definition;

quean - 2. (chiefly Scottish) WOMAN; esp: one that is young or unmarried

Quite different from the first definition.
 
In looking up quean, I found this second definition;

quean - 2. (chiefly Scottish) WOMAN; esp: one that is young or unmarried

Quite different from the first definition.

Perhaps it's what the Scots think of young, unmarried women?

...as in that dirty ditty we let our children sing, "Comin' through the Rye"
 
Now, you have peaked my curiosity, tell me about, "Comin' through the Rye?"

quern - noun a primitive hand mill for grinding grain
 
Now, you have peaked my curiosity, tell me about, "Comin' through the Rye?"

quern - noun a primitive hand mill for grinding grain

If a body meet a body comin through the rye;
if a body kiss a body, need a body cry?
Every lassie has her laddie,
Nane they say have I,
But all the boys do smile at me
When comin through the rye.

Did you know, Allard, that Scotswomen traditionally did not shave their pubes?

"Comin through the Rye"?

It isn't bad, as long as he kisses you...

and the other girls each have their boy, but all of them smile at her when...cummin through the rye.

Cf:

She wasn't what one would call pretty,
so other girls offered her pity,
and none of them guessed
that her Wasserman test
involved half the men of the city.
 
Last edited:
If a body meet a body comin through the rye;
if a body kiss a body, need a body cry?
Every lassie has her laddie,
Nane they say have I,
But all the boys do smile at me
When comin through the rye.

Did you know, Allard, that Scotswomen traditionally did not shave their pubises?

"Comin through the Rye"?

It isn't bad, as long as he kisses you...

and the other girls each have their boy, but all of them smile at her when...cummin through the rye.

Cf:

She wasn't what one would call pretty,
so other girls offered her pity,
and none of them guessed
that her Wasserman test
involved half the men of the city.

Holden Caulfield approved this message.

 
By those standards, I must be a Scotswoman, hehehe!

Quasimodo - noun LOW SUNDAY

I never made this connection to the character in Hunchback of Notre Dame.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top