How to set a humane trap

HotTexasMom

Virgin
Would like to remove a fox from under the deck without hurting it. Animal control would most likely kill it. Any suggestions?

Wait for it to leave, then barricade so it can't come back. Make sure it hasn't left pups under there.

Would like to remove a fox from under the deck without hurting it. Animal control would most likely kill it. Any suggestions?

You can find them at most farm stores for around 35-50$. Usually fruit or peanut butter woks as a lure, but I've never tried to catch a fox.

Once you catch him, you can go release him in a state park.

It looks like foxes are a protected species in Texas. Have you already contacted the TPWD to make sure it's legal for you to humanely trap and relocate this fox (and any offspring you may find) yourself?

Do you already have a humane trap? If not, are you willing to spend about $100 on one, or can you rent or borrow a trap?

Wait for it to leave, then barricade so it can't come back. Make sure it hasn't left pups under there.

This is a much better option (from the fox's POV) than complete relocation. If you don't take it far enough away, it may return home; if you drop it a long way away, a relocated fox is quite likely to die from territorial fights, not knowing where to find food/water/shelter, etc etc. Eviction gives it a much better chance, and also prevents some other animal from moving in to replace it.

If that's not possible, then do what you gotta, but look for no-relocation alternatives first.

(of course if you were in Australia I'd be giving a very different answer...)

We have the same problem. (I'm in Texas also) We use a Have-a Heart trap that traps them alive, and then relocate them to a place, (preferable in the sticks), where they can't come back. It's a cage type trap and relatively expensive, but it doesn't harm the animal.

I read the title as "How to set a human trap." :eek:

Time for new glasses...

1. cookies/cake/other delicious food

2. well-tailored suit

3. stubbly jaw

4. come-hither stare

works like a charm. On me, that is.

Time for new glasses...

Txmom, please excuse the hijack. But Jelly's post made me think of this:

a-people-trap-set-by-a-mouse.jpg

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Interesting. I see a fox about once every 10 years...I would be thrilled to have one hanging around.

It looks like foxes are a protected species in Texas. Have you already contacted the TPWD to make sure it's legal for you to humanely trap and relocate this fox (and any offspring you may find) yourself?

Do you already have a humane trap? If not, are you willing to spend about $100 on one, or can you rent or borrow a trap?

They are classified as a furbearer, which means there are hunting restrictions, unlikely removal of a pest on your property is an issue.

Interesting. I see a fox about once every 10 years...I would be thrilled to have one hanging around.

Until it ate your cat.

A number of years ago my wife and I were playing golf with this other woman who commented on how pretty the red fox nearby was. My comment was less generous, I was pretty into grouse hunting at the time, my opinion of a fox would be the same as that of a coyote.

3 holes later the same fox was trotting towards us with the back half of a house cat in his mouth, the woman was disgusted.

I thought it was amusing.

I don't want a fox in my backyard, much less under my deck.

Time for new glasses...

Hot wings and a manga would work on me, but I'm a weird one.

Until it ate your cat.

A number of years ago my wife and I were playing golf with this other woman who commented on how pretty the red fox nearby was. My comment was less generous, I was pretty into grouse hunting at the time, my opinion of a fox would be the same as that of a coyote.

3 holes later the same fox was trotting towards us with the back half of a house cat in his mouth, the woman was disgusted.

I thought it was amusing.

I don't want a fox in my backyard, much less under my deck.

I think this is a better argument for "Why it's a good idea to keep Kitty Indoors" than "Why it's bad to have a fox around".

If you're a really big fox fan, like myself, you should think about getting a domestic fox as a pet.

Yeah, those really exist! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

Last edited:
shoedangle.jpg

This would be the bait for if someone tried to trap me. I see a woman dangling a shoe wearing pantyhose... and I am mesmerized LOL

but to answer your original question. A live trap with sardines is a good way to catch the fox and you can relocate it somewhere else. Or if you can identify where the fox was getting in you could just release it around your house after you have fox proofed your house so it cannot get in again.

Good Luck!!!
I hope it goes well

Back