What are you reading at the moment?


I'm ploughing into Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of A Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm and an Untold Rescue by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin ( New York, 2007 ).

During McArthur's invasion of the Philipines in December, 1944, "Bull" Halsey's covering Third Fleet ran smack into a deadly typhoon. Several 300' destroyers displacing 160 tons were lost and it cost the lives of 700-odd sailors.

A tropical cyclone is a cyclone originating in the tropics or sub-tropics. Although it generally resembles the extratropical cyclone of higher latitudes, there are important differences, the principal one being the concentration of a large amount of energy into a relatively small area. Tropical cyclones are infrequent in comparison to middle and high latitude storms, but they have a record of destruction far exceeding that of any other storm. Because of their fury, and because they are primarily oceanic, they merit special attention by mariners. A tropical storm may have a deceptively small size, and beautiful weather may be experienced only a few hundred miles from the center. The rapidity with which the weather can deteriorate with the approach of the storm, and the violence of the fully developed tropical cyclone, are difficult to imagine if they have not been experienced.
-Nathaniel Bowditch
The American Practical Navigator
 
Last edited:
By my bed is Max Caspar's biography of the great astronomer Johann Kepler, which I'm carefully re-reading
 
Still Life, by Louise Penny, a detective mystery by a Canadian author, which won several awards as a first novel. And In Pursuit of Reason" The Life of Thomas Jefferson, by Nobel E. Cunningham. (And reading/editing a novel by Lit. author Sabb, as well as an adventure novel set in the Iraq war for a publisher)
 
Just read HOMBRE and VALDEZ IS COMING by Elmore Leonard. Both are excellent reads until the very end, then you want to be violent after the shock and puzzlement wear off. Leonard invented the literary WTF moment.
 
Just finished David Weber's Safehold series, or at least what's written so far. It's a good blend of sci-fi with sailing ships and feudal warfare
 
Stephen King's Under The Dome - very good, balls to the wall pacing.

From The Borderlands anthology - mostly good, so far.

Listening to Ed McBain's The Frumious Bandersnatch in the car on CD. Still trying to get into it.
 

I'm thirty-six pages into Maurice Isserman and Stewart Weaver's Fallen Giants: A History of Himalayan Mountaineering from the Age of Empire to the Age of Extremes ( New Haven, 2008 ).


Isserman and Weaver are history professors (!) at Hamilton College and the University of Rochester, respectively. It's not a subject one would ordinarily expect from a couple of academics but the story and the prose are enjoyable. I like the fact that for a survey this vast, the authors chose to relate the origins and early history of mountaineering; thus, I've been treated to an account of the earliest days, from Paccard and Balmont's first ascent of Mt. Blanc to Whymper to Swiss graveyards filled with the bodies of ardent young Englishmen and on to the geology and topography of the top of the world. As Chamonix and the Alps are one of my old stomping grounds, this section has been pleasantly familiar.

 
Well technically I'm reading Taking Liberty by Ann Rinaldi but I'm kinda rereading Twilight at the same time. Taking Liberty is alright,a little slow,but it's good. Twilight is,as always,awesome.
 
I'm reading a computer hacks recipe book.

The author is right! Unless you lock your puter inside a trunk it can be hacked!
 
Re-reading "Night of the Generals", by Hans Helmut Kirst.
Absolutely brilliant sarcasm and a good mystery.
 
I have just re read "King Jesus " by Robert Graves. It caused something of a sensation when it was published in 1946. Essentially it is a story of how Jesus of Nazareth was the rightful heir of Herod the Great. Graves disposes of both the birth and resurrection stories of Jesus whilst recognising his two chief attributes, firstly as a great ethical teacher and secondly his devotion to the Jewish Godhead.

Graves infuriates academics with his so called analeptic method but his insight is sometimes fascinating particularly his attempt to place the Jesus movement which became Christianity firmly within the context of his interpretation of Greek and Jewish mythology. I suspect however that the climax which involves Jesus ascending with Mary of Bethany (his Queen) Mary his mother and Mary Magdalene as a thinly disguised triple headed Goddess even had Graves' tongue firmly in his cheek.

His interpretation of Judas' role is really amazingly presient given that the Gospel of Judas was undiscovered at that date.

Graves writes a fast paced superb narrative adventure 10 times the quality of anything Dan Brown has ever done and however controversial at least Graves was an accomplished scholar
 
I plan to nominate ROB for the Trinity the next vacancy that occurs.
 
A tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (I've read it countless times and never bores me!)
 
I'm a few pages into "The Cutout" by Francine Mathews. The author uses her experience as a former CIA analyst in the fictional tale.
 
The Secret of Lost Things, by Sheridan Hay

The Gospel of Judas, edited by Rodolphe Kasser, Marvin Meyer, and Gregor West

The Devious Book for Cats, by Flurry & Bonkers (what can I say? My wife put it on my nightstand, and the only way to move it from there is to read it.)

And a biography of the creator of the Israeli Navy, which I'm editing for a mainstream publisher.
 
I'm just following SR around, reading his posts, seeing if any excitement follows ... which it usually does. :devil:

But soon I'm going to be reading:

The Essential Willem de Kooning by Catherine Morris

How New York Stole the Idea of Modern Art; Abstract Expressionism, Freedom, and the Cold War by Serge Guilbaut

The New York Schools of Music and Visual Arts

and

Willem de Kooning: Reflections in the Studio
Okay, so I'm not going to read every word .... :rolleyes:
 
Honey, if you have no objection, I'll leave you with the heavy stuff (never could get my head round "modern" art).


"Maxwell's, Chain" by M.J.Trow
(cleverly plotted, very sarcastic at times, and damned funny)
 
Going back in time.

I'm reading, or have just read:

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers

Sergeant Michael Cassidy RE by Sapper (the 1916 first edition. At the time, although it is mildly humorous fiction set in the very early part of the Great War in 1914, it was considered shocking because it gave the general public real details of the horrors of trench warfare)

Sanders by Edgar Wallace. Sanders of the River and the subsequent River novels by Edgar Wallace celebrate the work of British District Commissioners in Africa bringing "civilisation" to the feuding natives. Now they are unlikely to be found in public libraries because they are non-PC, yet they show how British people in the 1920s thought of Africa.

The Cavalier Case by Antonia Fraser. I'm not as impressed with this one compared with some of her others.

Og
 
I just finished The First Man In Rome By Colleen McCullough and enjoyed it immensely.

The story centers around "the third founder of Rome" Gaius Marius and his protege Lucius Cornelius Sulla, but there are dozens of supporting characters.

The age of the Roman Republic was such an interesting period but it is always overshadowed by the Roman Empire and the days of the Caesars, I was very pleased to find this book
 
I just started Jack & Jill. I know its been out for a long time, but the cover caught my eye on the shelf and I bought it. Two chapters into it, two people are already dead.:eek:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top