Anti-Virus suggestions

I have been generally happy with Avast, you can continue to use the free version, it has not stopped various ad programs from popping up on my old desktop machine. I believe it uses Windows Vista Home Premium, might be time to let it go.
 
Consumer Reports put Avira on top at one point. Free, but has occasional pop-up ads.
 
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials without issue on my XP machine (my internet pleasure surfer) for over a year now. I do visit a lot of different xxx sites without any issues, so far. It blocks shit silently and I think does a pretty good job of it. I have comcast and they give you Mcafee or Norton's free, but occasionally I would get tagged with something or another, so I said to hell with it, did some research, uninstalled the comcast free crap and downloaded MSE. I also run Malwarebytes (pro version) and find I'm fairly safe out there though-out my pleasure surfing... Again, so far.
I also run a free version of 'ccleaner' on a weekly basis.
And don't forget to grab and install a copy of Adblock! Happy surfing!!
 
That's why I asked the question originally. I've installed Avast and so far so good. I also installed the Linux based Ubuntu system which I use for things like banking and online shopping. I really can't justify the price of a new computer for the little bit I use it for. Plus, all my racing sims are working fine on XP.
 
hey mngramps, what's your plan when MS stops supporting XP?

ed

I've never seen an apple machine. I'm leaning in that direction. I need another challenge, albeit learning a different OS shouldn't be much of one, I'm thinking I'm gonna check out a Mac.

It's not like XP is gonna fall off the face of the earth on April whatever, 2014. XP is a very stable OS and is going to be around for a few more days to come....
 
Last edited:
Munky was the first to troll. Query won the war. Putting that much effort into trolling just means you're pathetic in real life.
 
Last edited:
Wish you luck!

I just thought I would mention this lovely website I use for all of my computing needs AND for my customers at work. bleepingcomputer.com

It has a download section that includes tons of anti-virus software and multiple tools for cleaning your computer. All have explanations and have worked very well in the past.

A few favorites:

Junkware Removal Tool - the "feeler" tool, tells you if you have anything of concern

CCleaner - Disk Cleaner on steroids, includes a nice section where you can easily change what opens on startup

RevoUninstaller - Uninstalls programs better than anything! Even after you use a regular uninstaller, this finds the leftover registry items and folders. Very useful when dealing with malware.

ADWCleaner - The final step to my process, finds all the leftover stuff that hides from regular view.

I use these programs in that order, and they have worked without fail. There are probably some very good anti-virus programs on the website as well, but I can't really recommend any. My customers use Kaspersky, Norton, AVG, AVAST, and I am still having to clean their computers of viruses and malware.

Just make sure you find an anti-virus you like, and become very familiar with it and run other tools on a regular basis.

:heart:
 
MalwareBytes.

That said I spend 98% of my time on a Linux machine. Mint 15.
 
I use avg, paid version as well and have had no issues. I am also very careful of where I surf and open most websites on my ipad.
 
I use Norton 360.

I hope it works OK on what I buy to replace XP!

It does.

I'm using 8.1 and I still can use some of the programs on here because I can't figure how to crank them up!

I'm up to Windows 7 at work and it is OK more or less...
 
And...

whatever you do - get malwarebytes. Run that every once in a while - it catches malware that the anti-virus apps don't.
 
MalwareBytes.

That said I spend 98% of my time on a Linux machine. Mint 15.

Linux is awesome.
When I have more patience to mess with emulators for my games I will get Linux again.

Oh and Malwarebytes, thirded.
 
Last edited:
Ed, and others

I have an old desktop with XP which has many old programs that won't run on my Win 7 laptop. I want to keep it for those and sentimental reasons, like I've replaced everything in and on it at least once, including the motherboard and case and it's running great.

I use AVG-Free and Spybot S&D, which has an "Immunize" function.
I understand that when Microsoft support ended, there would be vulnerable ports and holes that could allow bad stuff to get in.

So, I disconnected the Cat5 cable and am now isolated. So, what do you think is the best thing to do to handle the situation? Is this the wise thing to do, or should I go back online and pray for miracle contraception?
 
henry, i'm not an IT guy but i can't help thinking mounting your XP drive as a slave drive on a win 7 box oughta do what you want--but the IT folk here might have a few ideas that would be more helpful/relevant.

FWIW, i too own a XP box and am in the process of ordering the components to build a new win 7 desktop box (my laptop already is).

ed
 
Must be bootable

henry, i'm not an IT guy but i can't help thinking mounting your XP drive as a slave drive on a win 7 box oughta do what you want--but the IT folk here might have a few ideas that would be more helpful/relevant.

FWIW, i too own a XP box and am in the process of ordering the components to build a new win 7 desktop box (my laptop already is).

ed
You can't run all the XP programs unless the Win XP is booted up. You can only access data or files as a slave on another PC, and cannot .EXE or execute a program. There's the NT file structure and all that stuff to think about too.

I have copied over my "contacts", picx, video, story files, you know, all the important stuff.:)
 
A couple of years ago I did some work for a guy who sat on the board for a company that made internet protection software that several of the worlds countries gov'ts used.
He told me his opinion was that Avast was the best quality free program. I've using it and Malwarebytes with no problems.
 
Back
Top