Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

Elizabeth smiled as Ian turned her towards him, his hands settling on her waist. She closed her eyes as she readied for the kiss that he was about to deliver. His kisses always made her feel weak at the knees and like the most beautiful creature in the world.

It was all over before it began as a frisbee smacked him right in the face, the moment ruined as a fat husky appeared to fetch her toy. Her blue eyes opened and glanced towards the man that was jogging towards them. He had a friendly and easy going smile, ready to make conversation with them despite Ian's standoffish nature.

Ian's fingers dug a little tighter against her hips, his scowl just a little deeper and certainly not playful as Elizabeth listened to the two men converse briefly. Ian had charm for days, but it seemed that all of that was forgotten right then.

"Tom. It's nice to meet you." Elizabeth said as the dog's tail wagged furiously as its owner rubbed her soft fur. "Forgive him, please. He just got out of the hospital and he's still as grumpy as a bear about it."

She returned his smile easily, extending her hand out to him to shake his. "I'm Hope. And this is Harry. We've only been in Denver a brief time. He's from the south and I'm from up north."
 
Ian was glad that Elizabeth decided to speak for them because he couldn’t promise that his tongue was going to get any prettier. As she explained to Tom why he had been so stuck-up, it made him realize how silly he was being. What was he worried about? She would notice that Harry softened up a bit.

Tom took hold of Elizabeth’s hand and gave it a firm squeeze. “Enchante. Well aren’t you guys from two opposite worlds…”

Ian noticed that Tom was still shaking Elizabeth’s hand as he complimented, “Your wife is beautiful. She has a good grip too.”

Ian rescued Elizabeth’s hand from Tom’s grip, taking its place as he gripped the blond man’s hand, while forcing a grin.

“Fiancée…” he corrected.

Tom stood before Ian and his grip hadn’t been as gentle as it was with Elizabeth. He figured that men could handle a stronger bond, and Ian’s grin was soon an expression of pain as he swore the bones in his hands were being crushed. He kept the smile on his face so as not to worry Elizabeth or to look like any less of a man.

“I noticed that she didn’t have a ring, but I didn’t want to be rude. Well that’s great. Hey, you should let me make it up to you both. You’re new here in town. I live on my father’s ranch not too far from here. You’re welcome to come visit. It’s a swell site. My father is in his 90s and I’ve been taking care of him. He’s stubborn. He wants to be buried out back by the tree so I guess we’re sort of waiting until his bell tolls.”

Ian yanked his hand back and stuck it into his pocket. “That’s a very interesting offer, but Hope and I plan to stay here in the city.”

Tom’s brows shot upwards. “But that’s expensive! Denver is not like any other city only because of the mountains. Hikers and climbers come here all the time. I want to help you two save money. Come on, it would only be for one day. If you don’t like the atmosphere or the food—I make some good barbeque—then I rest my case and I’ll drive you two back to the city. I promise you’ll love it. It’s nice and quiet out there.”
 
"Yeah, but it's a good thing opposites attract." Elizabeth said as she gave Ian a smile as Tom continued to shake her hand. "I don't know what I'd do without this big lug around."

She actually blushed as Tom told them that she was beautiful. She had heard it so many times from Ian and now it was coming from the lips or a completely stranger. The words made her feel bold and invincible as Ian soon substituted his hand for her own.

"We haven't even really thought about a ring yet. We just always assumed we'd walk down the aisle when the time was right." She murmured, realizing that Tom didn't really miss much. "You know we were just about to get some ice cream. Maybe we could talk about joining you on the farm and get back to you in a little bit?"
 
“That’ll be great. I really hope you consider it. Let’s go Shiva!” Tom ordered.

He snatched up the Frisbee and the two went running back across the field. Ian was a little amazed by the man’s energy. Even in their conversation he always seemed to be moving forward. Turning back to Elizabeth, Ian drew his hand out of his pocket as he coiled his arm around her hips and started walking with her toward the ice cream stall.

“That guy is one of those weirdos,” Ian said. “He probably means well, but he’s too weird for me.”

As they arrived at the stand, Ian glanced over the flavors already knowing which one he was going to get before he glanced over at Elizabeth.

“What you want, Beautiful?”
 
"Ian, he's just being nice." Elizabeth said as he mentioned that Tom was a weirdo. "You know...being nice...it's something that people do from time to time. Not everyone is out to get you or show you up. And you never have to worry about me being wooed by a handsome face. I'm in this one hundred percent with you, Mr. Darcy."

She liked the way that his arm curled around her hips, holding her securely against his side. She gave him a smile as they stopped in front of the stall and she looked over what there was to choose from.

"Can I get a hot fudge sundae? With strawberry and chocolate ice cream?" Elizabeth had a sweet tooth that would insist that she eat her fill until she was sick to her stomach. "It's been forever since I've had real hot fudge."
 
Ian arched a brow at Elizabeth’s order. An amused smile then curled at his lips as he decided, “Maybe I should hold off gettin’ me an ice cream cone. You’ll probably need some help with that order.”

Turning to the vendor, Ian said, “You heard the lady.”

The vendor nodded and got the two a boat to share as he filled it with scoops of vanilla and strawberry. The hot fudge was drizzled on it right after. Grabbing two plastic spoons, he stuck them into the ice cream and handed it over as Ian exchanged it for a nickel. He then walked with Elizabeth over to a bench where they could sit and enjoy the warmth of the sun as well as the enthusiasm racing about him.

Extending his arm behind her shoulders, he held the boat in his other hand so that she could mostly indulge in it. He was going to finish off what she didn’t want.

“A ranch huh…” Ian thought aloud. “You know, we don’t always get to get away from the city. You’re used to it more than me, I’m sure. I love bein’ in the country—the good kind. If we did go with this Tom fella’, then we can save money. We won’t even have to pay to eat. I’m not too worried about our safety either. Your lover is Ian Darcy…if there’s anyone to be afraid of, it should be me.”

Ian flashed her a playful grin before he kissed the strawberry ice cream from her lips.
 
She wasted no time in diving into the ice cream that Ian held for her. She let out a soft humming moan at the combination of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla as it burst across her tongue. She would have done anything that he said for another bite of that ice cream.

He was trying to be social and he was thinking through the plan as he spoke out loud. It would be good to save money in any way that they could. It would mean more left over when they finally found somewhere to make their home permanently.

There was a smile on her lips as he kissed away the strawberry ice cream that remained. "You sure? It's completely up to you. I don't want you to be uncomfortable."
 
“Uncomfortable?” Ian repeated. “What is there to be uncomfortable about?”

She seemed to be enthralled in the ice cream. He hadn’t ever really seen her so excited about food. Usually it was him being a pig over hotdogs, burgers, and fine southern cooking, and here, he’s watching his fiancée devour a boat of ice cream.

Maybe I underestimated her, Ian thought as he peered down at the boat, watching how the scoops seemed to disappear.
 
"I don't know. You can be touchy about things sometimes." Elizabeth said as he watched her eat more than her fair share of the ice cream. "Of course if it did mean that much to you...we could go take a gander at a ring."

It was an innocent suggestion as she pushed the ice cream back towards him, giving him a little smile. "Something simple. Something that shows the rest of the world that I'm your gal and I'm not going anywhere."
 
When Elizabeth was finished with the ice cream, there seemed to be a melted pool of strawberry, vanilla, fudge and one lump. Scooping it up in his spoon, he didn’t mind eating that one bite for he hadn’t been that crazy about ice cream to begin with. Depositing the boat and spoons into the receptacle at the other end of the bench, he smiled at her when she talked about going to peek at a ring.

“Hey now, if I’m gonna propose to you, then it’s gonna be a surprise. As I said before, don’t worry, I’m gonna get you a ring.”

Tilting his head against Elizabeth’s, he drew her close against him so that she could rest as they both continued to watch the park. It was such a beautiful day. Ian imagined himself having a nap with his gal in his arms in the grass that the children had been playing in. It was one of those moments that he wanted to have last forever, but of course, it never went that way.

Tom raised a hand to his mouth and waved them down. “Hey! I’m about to head on home. Did you two decide?”

Ian breathed an exasperated sigh as though he had been awakened from a dream. “We might as well head on.”

He allowed Elizabeth to sit up before he rose to his feet.

“Yeah, we decided to go with ya!” Ian called back.

“That’s great!”

Before they knew it, they were following Tom to his car with Shiva happily panting and glancing at the new strangers.

“Just a warning, I did some grocery shopping, so the back’s going to be kind of full. You don’t mind, do you Harry?” Tom asked.

Ian blinked. So he was sitting in the back? Glancing at Elizabeth briefly, he sheepishly smiled. “Not at all.”

There was no way that he was going to allow his girl to ride in the back with the pregnant mutt. It would have been the most impolite thing he had ever done and she meant more than that to him.

The vehicle they came across looked like an early Volkswagen Beetle except it was larger than the modern version. It was copper-colored and kept surprisingly clean. That was the exterior at least. When Tom got out his keys, he first walked Elizabeth over to the passenger side and opened the door for her. Ian tried not to make a sour face at the man’s charm. He would have gladly done it, but then again, it wasn’t his vehicle.

Tom then opened the door for Ian and before he could get in, Shiva jumped in before him and seemed to turn to face him, staring at him as though she were guarding the back.

Will I have to kill a dog today? Ian thought to himself.

Tom chuckled and patted Ian on the shoulder. “It’s all right. She won’t hurt a fly. She’ll move once you get in.”

Ian sighed and doing as Tom suggested, he ducked inside the car and Shiva moved as good as she could before her backside touched the grocery bags. As soon as Ian closed the door, the furry animal walked over and plopped her big butt in his lap. Ian scowled at the hound and Shiva seemed to turn to lick his face appreciatively. Patting her head, Ian thought again, What is it with me and animals?

Tom got situated and with the turn of the key, the car was alive and rolling out of town. Of course as they traveled, he didn’t mind having a friendly conversation with the pretty lady in the front.

“So, Hope, what brings you and Harry to Denver? Sight-seeing?”
 
The way he pulled her close and rested his head against her own meant more to her than any silly piece of jewelry. Ian wanted to be seen with her and wanted to show everyone that she was his and vice versa. She didn't need a ring to know that they would be happy together for the rest of their days. They would add a little house, a little dog, a few small children...it was a happy little thought indeed. Her full lips curled into a smile as her head grew heavy on his shoulder, soaking up the sun and enjoying the moment.

It was interrupted by Tom calling to them from across the park. Elizabeth's eyes slowly opened as Ian answered back and she was soon pulled to her feet. Her hand laced tightly with his own, her precious paper bag still tucked under her arm as they followed Tom to his car. It was small, it was loaded in the back with groceries and they still had to fit that dog in with them.

"I can sit back there. I'm smaller." She was protesting as both men decided that it was already a done deal.

Tom already had her door open and waiting, helping her to sit in the seat as Ian struggled with the mammoth husky. She had to stifle a laugh as she looked over her shoulder at him. The dog was grateful for the seat, licking his face with abandon. The car soon purred to life, pulling from its spot as Tom made conversation with her on the drive to his Ranch.

"Yeah, I guess we are. We were just stopping through on the way to California." She answered as she glanced over her shoulder at Ian again. "That's where we're going to have our wedding and then settle down."
 
You’ve never been to California, Ian wanted to say, but he knew too well the business she was trying to keep from being Tom’s. He rolled down the window and Shiva had her head outside, allowing the breeze to comb all that excess fur off of her into the breeze and not on Ian’s clothes.

“Great place! My cousin owns a winery out there in Napa Valley. The state’s been having a little drought and it’s driving him bonkers,” laughed Tom.

The small talk seemed to continue, so Ian assumed. He had stopped listening and was resting with his head tilted against the wall. The vehicle could have been a cradle with how it rocked and softly bounced over every bump and pothole in the road. Shiva no longer seemed to bother him. When his eyes became heavy and fell closed, she no longer existed. The tired former bank robber had passed out asleep, and in the darkness, a dream blossomed:

He and Elizabeth were in Napa Valley, sitting on top of a giant grape and looking down at the lush, green world. He was dressed like a groom and she, a bride, and they were peering down at the tiny figure of Tom, running with Shiva and her litter of pups toward them.

“Hey Ian! Elizabeth! Congratulations!” Tom shouted and Shiva barked in kind.

Elizabeth seemed to wave and laugh, while Ian was staring fearfully at the man wondering how he had learned his true name. Ian glanced at Elizabeth wearing the same expression and her face seemed to glow as she continued to laugh completely oblivious to what Tom had said.

“Ian Darcy!” a voice shouted as an immense shadow fell over him and Elizabeth.

Standing over him was a cop with a huge gun pointed down at him and Elizabeth. The barrel was so wide that it hovered over them like a tunnel. In his fear, Ian lunged at Elizabeth, pushing her from atop of the grape as she seemed to slide down it like a slide, laughing the whole way. The gun was fired. Fire left the muzzle, scorching him before the tip of a massive bullet met his back and forced him through the grape.


The vehicle door abruptly opened, waking Ian in a start as Shiva sprang out of the back. Tom was standing there with an apologetic smile.

“Did I startle you? Sorry about that. We’re here!” Tom informed.

Collecting his surroundings, Ian glanced down at the white fur covering his brand new clothes and wiped at it twice before giving up. Stepping out of the vehicle onto the grass, Ian noticed first a two-story house painted light blue with a white picket fence. As he turned to take in the landscape, land seemed to stretch for miles. There was an open pasture with two horses, and a red barn with chickens gathered outside of it pecking at the ground.

Minus the pasture and barn, the scene looked all too familiar. White picket fence, dog, nice house in the country…Ian thought that he was staring at a dream. He was speechless.

Tom was staring at Ian and his astounded look a little surprised. Slapping his back to snap him out of his stupor, he cheerfully asked with a laugh, “What’s a matter Harry? Never seen a farm before?”

Ian blinked and waved a dismissive hand. “I have. This place just reminded me of something that’s all.”

“Hopefully something good with that look on your face. Ha!”

“Yeah, sure.”

It had looked like his and Elizabeth’s dream home. Here it was. He had a feeling that she might have made the same association, but he didn’t want to talk about it. The idea was making him uncomfortable.

“Can you two help me with the groceries? When we get them inside, I’ll have you meet my Pa!” said Tom.
 
Elizabeth made small talk with Tom along the way to the farm. He made her smile, but he was a very charming man. She was sure that there were dozens of other women that had been in her position with him as he drove along familiar roads into the lush green farmland outside of the city. She wasn't like those other women, though.

Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Ian was sound asleep. He still looked so tired and he would probably be exhausted for many weeks until he was back to normal. She was proud of him for holding himself in check for their sake. Sleeping that night at a farm without having to spend money was a God send. The fact that the man taking them there was charming and friendly was another bonus.

The farm appeared before Tom even had a chance to point it out. It was rolling green fields with cattle grazing lazily in the pastures. There was a white picket fence outside the red painted farmhouse and barn. It was absolutely beautiful. Perhaps sometime in the future she and Ian could have a little piece of paradise just like this.

"Your farm is stunning, Tom." Elizabeth murmured as the car pulled to a stop and she stepped outside to get the first good look at the surroundings. "Absolutely beautiful."

She didn't move from her spot until Ian appeared at her side. Turning towards him, she had the biggest grin on her face. Her hand found his as she squeezed his fingers tightly, wanting to share this moment with him even if he looked incredibly cranky.

"Cheer up." She said softly, kissing his cheek as Tom called to them to help with the groceries. "You're in a beautiful spot and you look like I just kicked your puppy."
 
Why was she smiling? Ian thought first before Elizabeth took his hand.

Cheer up…You’re in a beautiful spot and you look like I just kicked your puppy.

“Sorry,” Ian apologized as he glanced away from her. He went back to the car to gather two arms full of groceries. There was a thoughtful expression on his face that he hadn’t realized was there as he thought about how fascinated Elizabeth had seemed. This was what she wanted, a house similar to Tom’s. He was taking mental notes for later.

He had left Elizabeth with lighter bags to carry and from the countless times Ian had to adjust to ensure that he didn’t drop the bags he was carrying, she might have noticed that he may have grabbed more than he could carry. At one time, carrying that many groceries was nothing, but he figured that if he was to grow stronger than he had to start somewhere. It wasn’t long before Tom appeared back on the porch and watched Ian nearly drop a bag of vegetables. He caught the bag with his leg and pinned it beneath his elbow. Smiling in amusement, Tom hurried down the steps to take the grocery bag from him.

“Woah, slow down there. Are you trying to do it all in one trip?” he chuckled.

Ian scowled at the blonde, and reluctantly allowed him to take the rest of the bags—they were his groceries.

“Yeah, sure,” Ian plainly replied.

“Come on in, Pa’s excited to see ya!”

Ian glanced back at Elizabeth to make sure she had everything, and allowed her to venture into the house first behind Tom. The house foyer was designed with dark, polished mahogany floors and a staircase leading to a second floor. The ceiling was white and arching that even the smallest sound seemed to resonate in its hood, and there were glass cabinets of clay figurines, specifically cows and little German girls. It had a comfortable feel.

Tom led them into the next room to the left, which was a light-blue dining room with glassware, napkins, and a dinner cloth resided preserved almost, or maybe he set it out every day. From the dining room they entered the kitchen where he set down the groceries and listening to an old radio at the dinner table was an old man that looked as though he had been alive since the Civil War. His skin hung as though it melted with age and his white hair was curly and thin. He wore thick, black-framed…more like goggles than glasses and sat hunched over in a red bowtie, yellow shirt, and brown plaid pants. The poor soul…whoever dressed him like that should have been slapped—at least that was what Ian thought.

Tom briskly walked over to his father and held his hand out to him as though presenting to them an artifact.

“Here he is. The legend himself! He’s also named Tom! Thomas Hickman. I suppose I’m actually the second.”

A snicker snorted from Ian and he raised his fist to cough it off, playing off the laughter that threatened to leave him. Tom gave him a suspicious look, but didn’t comment on it as he yelled at his father, “Pa! Hey Pa!”

The old man finally responded, “What? What you yellin’ at me boy. I’m not deaf.”

Tom grinned playfully at Elizabeth and Ian and mouthed silently, Yes he is.

“I want you to meet our new guests!”

“Oh, all right. Where are they then?”

Tom waved for Elizabeth and Ian to walk around the kitchen table to stand in the old man’s view.

What’s wrong with his neck? Ian wondered. He was grinning away, biting back the mirth that wanted to rock his body until his sides ached. For Elizabeth’s sake, not wishing to embarrass her for once, he kept himself under control.

“Well now…who is this beautiful gal? Boy, you finally find a wife?” the old man asked.

Ian took the question like a blow to the gut. His amused smile instantly evaporated from his face as his eyes went wide in disbelief. What was he chopped liver? Ian wasn’t saying his thoughts aloud, but Elizabeth might have been able to read them on his face as he irritably stared the old man down.

The young Tom blushed in embarrassment. “No, Pa. That man there is her fiancé. Introduce yourselves!”

Ian opened his mouth to speak and then hesitated as he recalled what Elizabeth had called him and the last surname he had used. Harry Johnson, really? There was no way that he was using that one. He had to use Harry though.

“Harry…(German figurines…) Schroeder…” Ian replied with a tinge of annoyance.

For some reason his answer had made Tom’s face light up. “Ah! Du sprichst Deutsch?”

This was becoming a train wreck. Ian forced a smile and replied with the only German word he knew, “Ja.

Das ist großartig! My mother was German. She passed away though.”
 
Watching as Ian muttered an apology and made his way back to the car, Elizabeth knew that he was going to be in one of his moods. She might have only been with him a short amount of time, but she had already figured out when he was sinking deep down into himself. There was nothing she could really do except let him be by himself and hoped that the whole thing blew over in time.

Gathering what was left in the back of the car, Elizabeth closed the door with her hip. Ian had taken way too much and was struggling his way towards the door that Tom had indicated. She was about to offer her help when he dropped a bag of vegetables. Like a specter, Tom was there to catch the bag, giving them both a smile before he took the grocery bag from Ian.

Too stubborn for your own good, Elizabeth thought as she followed the men inside the farmhouse's polished entrance. It was lovely, nicely decorated and clean. It was the kind of place that could be a home very easily with little children running all around. It was absolutely lovely, especially after spending most of her life in the cramped city of Chicago.

"Your house is lovely." Elizabeth said as she followed Ian and Tom into the kitchen and was slightly startled by the little old man who was hunched at the table.

She glanced towards Ian and stifled her own laughter at his little comments. When the old man noticed the both of them, she had to laugh again as he assumed that Tom had finally brought home a woman. He seemed embarrassed by the comment, but it was endearing that the old man cared enough to tease his son. Then Ian introduced himself, coming up with a name that sparked something in the man. He instantly started speaking in German and Ian responded in kind, further cementing his story.

"I'm Hope. Hope Berryman." She had chosen her mother's maiden name, one that was easy for her to remember. "I guess soon to be Hope Schroeder."

Glancing towards Ian, she silently asked him with her blue eyes why he hadn't picked something a little easier to remember. It was in the past, though, and their stay in Colorado would be brief.
 
Ian’s brown eyes briefly caught Elizabeth’s blues as she gave him a questionable look. He didn’t know how to sell that story to her. He simply had just chosen the last name off the top of his head, and it bothered him that Tom just so happened to have some German in him. Hopefully, he wouldn’t want to speak anymore of the foreign language.

“Nice to meet ya,” Pa replied to the couple, his mouth staying open—he probably hadn’t a clue that it was.

Tom smiled; and once the formalities were all said and done, he rested a hand warmly on his father’s shoulder as he told him, “Pa, I’m going to take our guests to the guest room!”

“That’s fine,” the old man answered.

Facing the two, Tom started away from his father as he headed back toward the foyer. “I’ll give you two a quick tour of the house.”

After leaving the kitchen and dining room, they returned to the entranceway where a polished wooden staircase would take them upstairs. As Tom ascended the steps, he explained, “I feel you both are going to love the room. You don’t mind sharing a bed right?”

Ian frowned at the stupid question. “Of course not.”

Tom then raised his hands defensively. “I was just making sure. Believe it or not some folks like their privacy.”

“There ain’t nothin’ private between us. Hope is the love of my life.”

Tom smiled finding Ian’s declaration admirable. “I hope to be able to say that one day. Pa knows that I’ve been looking, but every woman is either already married or wanting to find a rich man to make The Depression go away.”

Upon reaching the top of the stairs, Tom walked some ways down the west wing of the second floor and opened a door to a closet.

“Clean linen and towels can be found in here. It won’t be necessary since I tend to keep the guest room pretty tidy.”

Ian grabbed two towels for him and Elizabeth and closed the closet before proceeding on Tom’s tour.

He opened the next door. “Bathroom.”

The bathroom was pretty spacious with a lone porcelain tub standing on faux-gold paws along the wall where sunlight poured in through a sun roof, lighting the blue-walled interior. The toilet was four paces away against the adjacent wall and across from that was a sink with four vanity mirrors to capture every angle of the one who stood before it.

Ian’s brows rose a little at the tub. That was actually pretty fancy. His malt ball eyes naughtily rolled over to Elizabeth before he leaned over to press his lips against her ear and teasingly whispered, “We oughta’ check that tub out tonight.”

He kissed the shell of her ear before he turned to resume following Tom. The blonde stopped a door before the last door and he turned to face the two.

“The room at the end of this hallway is forbidden. That was Ma’s room. No one is allowed in there not even me. Only Pa can go in there. Understand?”

Ian couldn’t help but feel curious about the secrecy of the room. Why was an old near-death old man allowed in the room and no one else? He didn’t question it and he looked to Elizabeth saying silently with his eyes, Don’t bother.

“Got it,” Ian replied.

Tom smiled to see the two cooperate and not ask any questions and faced the door he had stopped next to.

“Here is the guest room.”

Tom opened the door and unveiled a room with two French doors shining with sunlight, leading to a balcony overlooking the pasture. Before the doors was a queen-sized bed with a canopy and red velvet curtains hanging from it. The bed posts were tall like spears and nearly touched the ceiling. Across from the bed was an eight drawer chest with a wash bowl on top and face towel. Next to the bed was a vanity mirror and makeup station though there wasn’t any makeup in the drawers. Next to that in the corner was a door leading to a walk-in closet.

“Wow…,” Ian spoke in awe. The room had to be fancier than any hotel room they had rented so far. If Tom hadn’t said that he and his family built the house from the ground up, then he might have thought he was rich. “It’s perfect.”
 
Elizabeth smiled at the elderly man as he greeted her. It was nice to meet some decent people after the run of bad luck that they had been having. Ian might not have been completely comfortable with the entire situation, but Elizabeth was more than willing to let her guard down for a little while and rest. It was well deserved after everything that had happened.

She took Ian's hand as Tom showed them through the rest of the house. The tone in Ian's voice made her cringe as they were asked about sharing a bed. Her boyfriend was grumpy, probably from exhaustion and pain, but she didn't want to make Tom mad in any way. This was a nice place that they weren't having to pay for. She wanted to make it last.

"I got lucky." Elizabeth said with a grin towards Ian, pressing her lips against his cheek. "I saw him and it was like something hit me in the face."

A literal fist had socked her in the eye and that had been the start of their journey together. She wouldn't have changed their story for anything in the world. Ian might have been rough around the edges sometimes, but that suited her just fine. She didn't want someone clean and tidy and polished. She had that in Stephen and she absolutely hated it.

"Wow. This bathroom is amazing." Elizabeth commented as Tom showed them the upstairs.

The tickle of Ian's breath against her ear made her shiver as he lewdly commented that they should try out the tub that evening. When he pressed a kiss to her skin, she turned her blue eyes towards him, wondering if he was over his embarrassment. She had told him that she wouldn't make a move until he was ready. Was that the open invitation that he had promised her?

"Sure. We won't go in there." She murmured as Tom pointed out at the room at the end of the hall was off limits and explained why. "He has a curiosity in him that could kill a cat, but I'll make sure he steers clear."

Nudging Ian in the side with her elbow, she gave him a grin as the door to the guest bedroom. It was just as gorgeous as the bathroom had been. It was the kind of room that Elizabeth dreamed about while she was living in the rat hole of an apartment that Stephen had bought for her. It was a lovely space, bright and airy. Absolutely stunning.

"It's beautiful, Tom." Elizabeth said in a sincere voice. "Thank you for your hospitality. It means a lot to the both of us. It's been a long, hard road to get here."
 
“Well, since we’re movin’ in,” said Ian. He turned back out of the room and started down the hall for the stairs. “I’ll go get our things.”

As he descended the old creaky yet still in good condition steps, he couldn’t help but think about that room. Elizabeth knew him well to suspect that he would want to see what was so forbidden about that room. He was the adventurous type after all. He would have to do it when not even his fiancée was around. Why would the old man be the only one allowed in there? It just sounded so unbelievable.

While Ian was getting the bag, Tom leaned against the doorframe not wanting to leave a pretty lady all by herself in a stranger’s house.

“I can only imagine. I found you two without a car. All you were carrying was a sack. If Pa wasn’t so overprotective of Ma’s belongings, I would give you some of her dresses. She always made them herself. They’re beautiful.”

Their conversation was interrupted as the fat husky Shiva click-clacked down the hall toward them, panting happily. Tom grinned at the dog and knelt to stroke her head.

“Hungry girl?” he asked.

“Boowoo!” the dog replied in her excitement.

He laughed and patted her back. “I sometimes think that she tries to talk. Well, Hope, I don’t mean to leave you alone but I’m sure Ian will be on his way back. I’m going to get Shiva some chow and then I’ll start cooking dinner for us.”

Tom rose and made a kiss noise with his lips to excite the husky to chase after him as he went jogging with the youth of a young boy for the stairs. Ian quickly stepped out of their way as the two went sprinting down the stairs. He frowned at them for a second before he shook his head and continued his journey back to Elizabeth.

“Everything is still here,” Ian reassured her. He then smirked softly. “Along with your gift from the panty store.”

As he approached Elizabeth with sack in hand, he kissed her cheek and smiled before stepping passed her to set the bag on the end of the bed.

“Close that door wontcha’?” he asked. He then jumped onto the bed and stretched out, exhaling a long relaxed sigh. “Finally a bed that ain’t in the hospital.”

He closed his eyes, basking in the cool air breathing from the covers and sheets against his skin. He swore he could have dozed off at that moment.
 
Ian bounded out of the room to get their things, leaving her along with Tom in the meantime. She actually blushed slightly as Tom said that he would have given her some clothing if his father weren't so protective of his mother's things. She turned towards him, laughing softly to herself.

"Now, that would have been an offer I would have declined. I don't need clothes. I'm just as happy with my yellow sundress." Elizabeth said with a smile as the sound of a dog coming down the hall interrupted their conversation.

Tom talked to the dog, offering her some food to which she enthusiastically responded with a howl before the two were off to start cooking. Turning towards the window, Elizabeth got a good look at the beautiful scenery around them. She wouldn't have minded staying there forever or finding a place that looked just like this. After so many years in a big, crowded city, she craved the wide expanses of nothingness that the country could provide. It was truly heaven on earth.

Ian's voice gained her attention, a small smile on her lips as he teased her about her gift from the lingerie store. For a man that had pitched a fit originally about that slip, he seemed to be settling into the idea that she had sexy underwear in her possession.

"I'm still just waiting for the word, Ian." Elizabeth said as he jumped into bed and stretched out with a long, relaxing sigh.

She crawled in next to him a moment later, her arm wrapping around his waist as her head found a spot on his shoulder. The long sigh that left her lips was soon joined with her body relaxing. It felt good to be in a nice, comfortable bed. It certainly wasn't a hospital, nor was it a train or a hotel. She could almost close her eyes and pretend that this was her little home with Ian.

"I want a home like this one some day. Somewhere in the country with a beautiful view." She murmured, pressing a kiss against the curve of his jaw.
 
Ian smiled contently when he felt Elizabeth’s arm snake across his waist and her head rest upon his shoulder.

I want a home like this one someday. Somewhere in the country with a beautiful view.

Ian turned his head in her direction, his malt-ball eyes staring into her pretty blues.

“Don’t you worry; I’ve been taken notes. I’m gonna get you one—maybe not exactly like this one, but better. I want for you to say that it’s our house and not ‘the house like Tom’s.’”

He then rested his hand upon her cheek, cupping it as he stroked his hand back through her hair. He frowned a little in concern when he saw the blonde shade about her roots.

“I knew that we forgot to buy somethin’. We forgot to get you some hair dye. Hopefully Tom won’t notice, and if he does, hopefully he won’t ask questions. He comes off as a little nosy to me.”

His hand then lowered to slide along the curve of her waist to her hip. His fingers curled into the material of her yellow dress, causing her skirts to rise up her creamy thighs as he smirked impishly at her.

“I do miss doin’ it with you,” he confessed. His hand reached down to squeeze the back of her exposed thigh firmly. His smile then faded some. “I just don’t like quittin’ the race before I reach the finish. I’ll try runnin’ tomorrow. I’ll get me out there in the fresh air and work on gettin’ me back to my old self. I’ll take it slow, so don’t you worry.”
 
"Why does it not surprise me that you've been taking notes the entire time?" Elizabeth said as Ian turned his gaze towards her, his hand resting on her cheek briefly before he ran his fingers through her hair.

When he frowned, she wondered what he saw. Something obviously wasn't to his liking. The next words out of his mouth reminded her that she wasn't a natural redhead and the dye job that they had done was already starting to fade. She had noticed a hint of gold through the red, but it wasn't terribly noticeable. Still, they had to be careful to not draw any attention and Tom was definitely the sort to want to ask questions.

"My lips are sealed." She said with a smile on her lips as he slipped his hand down her side to her hip.

Never once did she turn her attention away from his coffee colored gaze as he curled his fingers in the material of her dress, pulling the fabric up until her thighs were naked. The handsome smirk that crossed his lips made her laugh softly. His moods were changing by the moment that day, but she was falling so deeply in love with him that she didn't care.

"You just give me the word and I'll be there waiting for you." She murmured as his hand snaked around to squeeze the back of her thigh, promising her that he would take things slow and get back into shape. "You know I'm not going anywhere, right? I fell in love with you before we ever took a tumble in the sheets. I still love you in spite of what has happened."
 
Ian’s fingers stroked her smooth thighs lovingly as his eyes remained with her own. “I know, and I love how you remind me every day and moment.”

How could he deny such a beauty? She always made him hard even when he tried to swear off wanting to fuck her. There was something about being in a new bed that made him feel naughty. It had been almost a tradition that every bed they laid in they would christen. His cock was hard against his pants as his fingers continued to stroke her thighs, creeping closer to brushing between them.

“Are you gonna surprise me and tell me that you aren’t wearin’ panties?” Ian asked. He then decided to share with her what he was thinking. “You know, we have a tradition now. Almost every bed we’ve ever slept in we’ve dirtied. We haven’t dirtied this one yet. Since I haven’t quite caught my wind, how about you just show me your cowgirl skills?”

Ian glanced over his shoulder after making the suggestion to make sure the door was closed and then glanced back at Elizabeth like a delinquent. A thought then came to mind. Speaking of panties…

“Okay wait...I was hopin’ to save your little gift for later, but I don’t know what’s gonna happen later. This just might be a golden opportunity, and I don’t want it delayed, wasted, or interrupted. I want you to go over there behind that dress screen and show me what you bought.” His lips then quirked at her as he teased, “You better not have gone and wasted our money on some good girl outfit.”
 
"Really?" Elizabeth asked with a smile on her lips as he told her to go behind the screen and put on the hidden lingerie that was in her bag. "I thought you wanted to wait. Ian, you know I don't mind waiting."

She could see the lust in his eyes as he looked at her, the small smile on his lips. He would have to show her just what he meant by cowgirl skills, but she was game for whatever adventure Ian wanted to take her on. She laughed softly, kissing him with a gentle passion before she pulled away and scooped up her crinkled paper bag and slipped behind the screen.

Moments later, she was stepping out in the most scandalous thing that she had ever worn. It was black silk, shining in the light and fitted to perfection. Her breasts were cupped beautifully by the top. Small straps held it on her body. The skirt hit at the length on her legs that was just past decent. The blush on her cheeks and the shy look in her eyes showed Ian just what she was thinking about what she had on.

"I didn't realize that it would be this short." She murmured, her fingers pulling at the hem if the nightie as if to some how lengthen it through magic.
 
Really?

“Please don’t let me change my mind,” Ian begged.

When she excitedly crawled off the bed with her crumpled bag of nightly delights, Ian sat up on the bed and scooted back until his back was against the headboard. He got comfortable as though he were about to see a show, removing his shoes to let them thump to the floor and unbuttoning his flannel shirt. His hands were just at his pants when he noticed the red head stepping out from behind the screen.

The former bank robber’s hands froze against his fly as he regarded Elizabeth with wide eyes and lips parted in silent awe. He was mesmerized by how the silky garment moved on her. She was complaining about how short it was, laying down shadows about her ass cheeks and crotch area—hiding her secrets just enough to drive a man mad.

Ian slowly shook his head at her. “Oh no; it’s perfect.”

Her milky breasts were just cradled perfectly within the triangle lace…just seeing her tugging on her dress and her cheeks glowing shyly made Ian lay his hands over his twitching cock as though it would burst from his pants.

“You are the most gorgeous woman that I have ever seen in my life. I’ve seen you wear some things but this…I just want…it makes me…” He couldn’t even complete his sentence. “Come over here before I tackle you to the floor. You are so teasing me right now. I feel like I’m about to lose all intellect and my inner caveman is gonna come out.”

When she’d near the bed, he went to his hands and knees before her like a hungry dog and held up a hand to stop her.

“Wait; before you get in the bed. Twirl around real quick,” Ian asked, and then requested, “Bite your bottom lip and look at me as though you’ve been a bad girl.”

He was having a blast with this dress.
 
The look that Ian gave her made Elizabeth blush a little darker. He was looking at her as if she were the most beautiful woman in the world. His hands were pressed over his crotch as he stammered, telling her just how effected he was at the sight of her body encased in black silk. It was nice to have a man notice her for the woman that she was. She wasn't an object or a possession with Ian. She was simply Elizabeth.

As he beckoned her closer to the bed, she willingly went. Her only pause was when he held up his hand, going on all fours to ask her to twirl around and look at him like she were a bad girl. Her cheeks flamed bright at that request, a smile appearing on her lips.

"Like this?" She asked him as she did a little twirl, the hem of the skirt fluttering around her naked hips and showing him just a glimpse of what she had to offer.

"Or like this?" She asked him as she bit her lower lip and her gaze turned sultry. She gave him a smile as she looked up at him through her lashes, tempting him as best she knew how.
 
Back
Top