New Poetry Recommendations

Dec 17, 2009

A few New poems for Thursday, Dec 17. I enjoyed a few.

Esperanza_Hidalgo has a nice Haiku in Rain Drop

cyravance is new her and has a couple of poems which attracted my interest a bit. Love Offerings Fom The Mighty Hunte draw a a parallel between between a modern day hunter and his mate with our ancestors from long ago. Dream Lover sounds like a woman's wet dream (do they have them ?)

I found My Sex Appeal humorous

Nothing else really struck my fancy. Not sure if I'll be able to review next week, but don't see a problem for New Year's Eve.
 
Last edited:
Recommendations for Saturday, December 19th

There were 4 New Poems for Saturday. Of these, I found cyravance's Love Song most engaging for it's visceral, if frightening, images. Particularly, I liked the last image.
 
Saturday December 26th

There were three New Poems on Saturday, December 26th. Of these, I enjoyed Hmmnmm's Easy Ways which is a sleek little poem nonetheless surprising in its resonating references. Drop by and give a comment or a vote, will you?
 
okies, running through today's published pieces

here are a few of today's new poems; since I'm still recovering this won't (at least that's the plan) be as long as my usual ramblings. I'll add as I finish each piece I'm recommending. Maybe it's me, but there seem so many 'unfinished' pieces on offer today. Oh well. sighs

Rhino -
Submitted by hmmnmm

I found this worth looking at for the way the reader gets driven from one line to the next through the line breaks here:

Matter of odds
driven, madness
sudden; no way
open but one.


and the final line was full of sound/short syllables to take the reader where they're meant to be:

Tusk must thrust and musk must cling, and clasp.

with Oft, I found the first 3 lines caught me but then I lost interest the more I read. Sorry hmmm. Just my opinion and I realise I'm not able to give these my best today.


Robotic Humiliation and Other Poems - by Cal Y. Pygia

As always, I have to recommend this writer. Particularly for Robotic Humiliation, Unspirited, and Simper Fidelis. Cal never fails to make me stop and think. With some of the other pieces I get overdosed on their reps of words that I don't believe are used to shock, but used more as an 'identifying of the parts' that fail to make up the whole person/character here. It's the author's additional comments that show the mind behind the body parts.


1969 - by Nigel Debonnaire
Some easy references here for most of us over the age of 30 or those who grew up listening to their parents' chat. I liked these lines, in particular, for they spoke of the innocence of the youth then, contrasting it with what was written in the first verse relating to the non rose tinted actuality of life back then. I guess what I mean to say is this has nostalgia, though I feel the author could polish this further to make it really shine:

The moon was full: we looked up to see our footprints
and dreamed of going farther,
when going farther dreams could still belong
to all of us.




No longer know who i am
- by shoeslayer
it has all manner of faults with punctuation, presentation BUT there's a voice that comes right through that. The final verse, while maybe meant to be uplifting, still (for me) carries the same haunting tone of melancholia.



Florentine Monster
- by EroticOrogeny
now there's a different subject matter to write about if ever i saw one! These lines jumped out at me:

Youthful desires find their way
Parked cars and driving passions.




on the beach - by Middleagepoet

simple
lovely
profound


*feels weight lift off shoulders*
yes, part of me wants to see the title as the first line and not repeated, and part of me itches to cut 'the' from the beginning L2 BUT

overall

it has zen value for me. This has to be my favourite piece of the day, for its elegance, construction, word-choice but above all else its clarity. I really, really like this!


okay, that's me done for today;

peace out
 
Last edited:
Happy New Year's Eve

There are several new poems today.

Cal Y. Pygia offers a couple of interesting little collections,
and there are bits and pieces elsewhere that hit me, but overall nothing striking.

Hope you all have (here in US) or have had a good evening of celebrating the changing of the year.
 
New Poems for Saturday, January 2nd

There were a few more new poems this Saturday; it was lovely to read the straightforward formal sketch of emil47's In a Bath Wine Bar. I loved his other two as well, today so check them out also--perfectly charming. Similarly, I enjoyed Anti-Cheer, OnlybyMoonlight's remedy to the holiday.
 
Last edited:
Inserting my snotty opinion for 1/3 and 1/4 poems

In the spirit of New Poetry Recommendations, I'd like to point yer browsers toward a few poems I've found interesting over the last couple days:
  • On Sunday, hyperprolific Lit poet Cal Y. Pigia submitted Sexual Mystification Times Four, which unlike Cal's more typical submission of a series of more or less unrelated poems, seems to be a single poem with four different 'takes' or subpoems in it. Cal's work, for me, is always kind of hit or miss (sometimes both hit and miss in the same poem), but I rather liked this one, in particular the fourth part, which features an interesting central image.

    The poem as a whole is interesting as representing various viewpoints on sexuality (or, probably more specifically, arousal).

    As a whole, I think it works pretty well. Reminds me of an old quote from Herr Dr. Freud: "I am accustoming myself to the idea of regarding every sexual act as a process in which four persons are involved. We shall have a lot to discuss about that."
  • Also posted on Sunday is greenmountaineer's Dark Linoleum, clearly (in my mind, anyway) the best poem posted in the last few days. That's not to say the poem doesn't have flaws; I think it has several, but GM is one of the few poets here who is shooting for a serious art, and one of the few accomplished enough to take seriously when he does. Dark Linoleum (great title, BTW) is a little mood piece that evokes aging, forgetfulness, and (perhaps) despair.

    Hell, the thing even rhymes.

    Go read this one.
  • Finally, light as a feather; no other guise by live4passion is an elegant little poem with a subtle rhyme and rhythm to it that makes it more than just a simple statement about love. I'd argue with the author about some of the commas (there's too many of 'em, I think), but I'm argumentative and this is a peaceful little poem, so I'll just shush on up now. Check it out yer own selves, y'hear?
That's all for now. Go form your own opinions, people.

Happy New, etc.
 
My mother told my husband that her daughter has a suspicious nature and, at times, can be a petty woman. Well, Mom, you just keeping clutching that pillow you want smother Daddy with. I disagree; I don't think he's senile. He's just bored with retirement! Ah, back to suspicions. I suspect that Shecky_Mescalito has submitted poetry at literotica under another name. I have a list of suspects...

Go give this a read: Life as Glass ( second 1/3) by Shecky_Mescalito
 
My mother told my husband that her daughter has a suspicious nature and, at times, can be a petty woman. Well, Mom, you just keeping clutching that pillow you want smother Daddy with. I disagree; I don't think he's senile. He's just bored with retirement! Ah, back to suspicions. I suspect that Shecky_Mescalito has submitted poetry at literotica under another name. I have a list of suspects...

Go give this a read: Life as Glass ( second 1/3) by Shecky_Mescalito

I'd hope that this Pesky Mescalito was Anne Swir. I can't think of anyone else that it would fit better. Birthing and briar patch and all that. Live4Passion is nice.
 
Last edited:
Having read through the three brief poems for Saturday, I was dissatisfied. vrosej has one I enjoyed (despite wanting to capitalize the sentences since the poem is in this inbetween space of using and not using open punctuation) but it is not enough for me today so I read Sunday's offerings, too. In these I found three erotic poems by sandyb (where I also wanted to capitalize sentences and occasionally exchange commas for semi-colons but also found wonderful images that captured my fickle attentions). The best of these three, in my opinion, was Hunting Party because it really engaged my interest with image and story.

Otherwise there are mostly erotic rhymed poems about blowjobs and doing it from behind. Not that there's anything wrong with blowjobs. Or doing it from behind. Among these rhymed poems was an interesting ballad (interesting in its diction and regular meter if classic in its theme of love and loss) called A Goddess in Leather by Piquet.
 
no new poems yet up for the 13th, so here's the list for the 12th

new poems
back on and off with my comments.
la butty

ok, so read them all and these are those that spurred me to comment:


Jodi Ann - by Lee Chambers
this is worth looking at for the first verse. It does start out a whole lot stronger than it plays out to the end, but there's a compact 'rightness' for me about that first verse. It could stand alone.



Screaming and Other Poems -
by Cal Y. Pygia
Sleepless in Vegas, If only, and Lost Love's Lamentation are, for me, the richest reads of this set. They show the writer's light touch, create the connection between narrator and reader.

The first of the set, though, Not Half The Girl I Used To Be, seems to suffer from the adopted layout. It feels, for me, too broken even though i can understand why this formatting would fit the theme. Some lines could have played out a touch longer, or an alternative use of breaks/punctuation would benefit the write.

Okay, an update: I've read and re-read this a few more times, and my mind has adapted better to the layout - it was more me than Cal. Having said that, I now think the last strophe could be lost entirely and the first two be the stronger for that. Those first two just didn't gel with the third imo, though everyone will have their own.

Carpe Diem - by seannelson
rich rich rich
so glad i read this. at first all the speech marks made my eyes hurt, but i'd forgotten that by the time i'd read through to the end. ahhh - 'before the skull-and-bone clock/has ticked its last tick-tock'
(edited to use 'speech marks' instead of 'quotation marks', since the implications are different)


The Light of your Love -by Hubee
although I'm not a big fan of how this is presented, or even specific word-choices, I have to say it still manages to convey that sense of being spoiled for any other love than this ultimate love they've experienced. like - the what they need to say but they'll find better ways to write it in years to come.


never -by live4passion
seems to me the entire poem's written in those last four lines.
 
Last edited:
Several new poems today,

seannelson writes about addiction in The Poppy Road, aware of it and all of the conflicted feedback one has. Seems to capture that sense ...

Exacta66 contrasts size between cars and men in Size Does Matter - somewhat interesting, but could have been a bit shorter.

Quite a few of the other poems today were long, mostly on sex and love - one may strike you.
 
Last edited:
if u are closing this post then what would happen to the emerging poets that are rising from the ashes...... do think abt those ppl as well
 
There are a lot of new poems today - looks like a clump of illustrated have arrived. I like it better when the words are on the image, rather than separate. Some quite pleasant, but none outstanding.

I do suggest Eucalyptus Summer and Others by Cal Y. Pygia. Despite the classification, most are non-erotic. I prefer the ones near the top of this collection more, some nice imagery and expression.

Take a look at echoes by Algonquin Twit, an expressive little sad poem.

There are other you may wish to check out.
 
Thusday, Jan 28

Again lots of new poems today.

mostly love an lust - some telling sentiments and phrases here and there, but nothing that stuck me too much.

They changed the comment mechanism quite recently.
If you're a logged in user you can just enter your comment - the 16 bit hex number is now only required for anonymous.
If a poem has comments already that tab shows, otherwise the new comment tab.
There's a clear decoupling between voting and commenting - no longer those thermometers between title and text.
Overall, I like it.
 
Last edited:
Thurs, Feb 4

There are only 6 new poems today.

Be sure and read Gasp by DearEmma. It does well at capturing the incapturable ecstasy of erotic enchantment.

Greenmountaneer, in All You Need Is Love, provides some thoughts on loved celebrities and their deaths.

The other poems are worth a read, too.
 
Last edited:
February, thus far

SweetOblivion's sonnet Accident works well, as poem, as document. Read, people.

The hyperprolific Cal Y. Pygia posts Across Contenents and Other Poems. The first poem ("Sunrises and Sunsets") works for me. The rest don't, so much.

Sometimes you find a poem that works for you in a weird way, even if you don't think it's the best poem in the world. Why I am sugeesting you check out Loving Neighborhood by cnaleen. I may just be larking here, but
One rainy evening
I went her place
Asking for her garage
As mine was broken​
seems like poetry to me.

Tess. Morning Wood. Check it out.

All You Need Is Love by greenmountaineer is, at least in my opinion, clearly the best poem so far this month. Cool and, I think, sophisticated, poem about that Strawberry Fields thing.

Hey. I relate to the guy. Maybe it's our age.

So, EO and I disagree. Such is life and criticism. Get used to it, y'all.

Go read 'em, anyway.
 
There are 9 New Poems for Saturday and 13 for Sunday. Of these I recommend stopping by to read and comment on Planetarium by Day and Night Sky by Anglosextantyen4u which engaged me with its interesting style (which the poet addresses in opening notes) and also its evocative imagery. The running together blur of it went exceedingly well with breakfast but I believe wine would do even better. This poem I recommend highly so do pop over if you have a few minutes today, particularly if you are a fan of cummings.

Poeticaltoes's The Window is a lovely bit of brevity though I am uncertain of the second image (a bit difficult for me to picture). See what you think. I also enjoyed UYS's Scattered Bones, though I'd see what I could do about those pesky pronouns (my bane as well). Despite these and a lack of semi-colon or two, it has lovely images like

"Twilight threatens a growing storm
the bones glow whitely,"


so stop by and give UYS a little feedback if you have a chance. Follow this with Dionysus6989's At the Ritual Fire for a shift in passions. Then, simply for its romantic sweetness, I recommend Esperanza_Hidalgo's She Moves Me (also it reminds me of Safe_Bet).
 
Last edited:
Only 6 new poems up for today, unfortunately, and of those only two managed to grab my attention enough to comment:


And the Desert Rose Up to Frame Her - by vrosej10

wow! the imagery is stunning here:

posing white against the ginger soil.
was she pretending to be an arum lily in a bouquet wrapped in foil?
whilst she lay in the desert, on her back lazily
one arm permanently waving the other,
the perfect sunbather;

I think this poem suffers from excess wording, but the images are crisp and clear and beautifully disturbing in equal measure.


Erotic Haiku #7 by vrosej10

this short poem has an interesting and immediately recognisable contrast going on. electric :D
 
Thursday, Feb 11

There are several new poems today,
mostly about love and lust.
(Going for Distance seems like the only exception. It has some interesting images and expressions. I had problems with it, maybe I sometimes get in a too scientific mindset.
Some good bits here and there, I found Tiggle Bitties somewhat humorous.
 
Rumpleteazer

(from last week) I enjoyed this poem by Rumpleteazer, "Food for the gods" though it is a bit of a stream-of-conciousness list poem and I usually like poems that have clear stops in some way. Still, interesting images and tone.

I'm reading this weekend's poems now for a new post below.
 
Thurs, Feb 25

There is one new poem today.

Exacta66 offers a nice eulogy in For Dana, with rhyming couplets, but not forced.

Read Wednesday's offerings too - seems like a lot of sad times reflected in these submissions.
 
Back
Top