Future Regrets?

Peregrinator

Hooded On A Hill
I was thinking about a psychologist I know who did some work at VA Hospitals. Whenever he would ask the older folk for advice, benefits of their experience, they almost always said that they would tell younger people to go and do the things they wanted so when they were old they wouldn't look back and say, "Geez I wish I had done that...."

I realised that a part of what motivates me is the desire not to have regrets like that in the future.

What will you regret not having done? What opportunities do you have now that you aren't taking advantage of, but want to? Why not?

Re: Re: Future Regrets?

Dietrich K. said:
I know I will reget it if I don't tell her I love her every day

Excellent answer. A lot of those folks had regrets about things they didn't say to the important people in their lives. More often it wasn't partners, but people like parents, siblings, friends; the people we're less likely to see often and maybe less likely to say heavy emotional stuff to.

Re: Re: Future Regrets?

Dietrich K. said:
I know I will reget it if I don't tell her I love her every day

Don't ever miss that oppertunity.
You never know when the people you really love will feel neglected. You have to make your fealings known.

More and more each day, I'm realizing this...

Life is way too short to regret not doing it :) Thanks for the reminder again

Peregrinator said:
I was thinking about a psychologist I know who did some work at VA Hospitals. Whenever he would ask the older folk for advice, benefits of their experience, they almost always said that they would tell younger people to go and do the things they wanted so when they were old they wouldn't look back and say, "Geez I wish I had done that...."

I realised that a part of what motivates me is the desire not to have regrets like that in the future.

What will you regret not having done? What opportunities do you have now that you aren't taking advantage of, but want to? Why not?

Today, of all days, I needed to read this.

Pergy

What a great idea for a thread.

Thought provoking and sad at the same time.

So many wants, desires and so little time.

:(

Thanks to all for the feedback. Glad it's provoking some thought, and BB, I'm sorry you feel saddened. The upside is that you can change a lot of the things today, right now, that you missed earlier.

Nice to meet you Image.

Tendril, nice to see you. Glad I seemed to provoke some action.

busybody said:
Pergy

What a great idea for a thread.

Thought provoking and sad at the same time.

So many wants, desires and so little time.

:(

Don't be sad BB, there's still time for you to be nice.:D

bluemuse said:
Is it better to live with remorse than to die with regrets?

Interesting question, fellow wanderer. I have clearly chosen to live with remorse...I tend to take big bites. I'll go for experience every time, over propriety.

There's a band called "Black Tape For A Blue Girl." Thought you should know.

tendril said:
*gives BB's chain a good HARD yank*
You yanked good, see>>>>>>>>
love-smiley-086.gif

Oh, That AV is adoringly sexxxy sweet and lovely!:rose:

Peregrinator said:
Interesting question, fellow wanderer. I have clearly chosen to live with remorse...I tend to take big bites. I'll go for experience every time, over propriety.

There's a band called "Black Tape For A Blue Girl." Thought you should know.

I admire you greatly.

I love that band name. It just works.

Here's the thing: love folks, do your best, learn stuff everyday, pay attention to individual moments, be honest. That's the way I figure it.

Regrets? They come with consciousness, a natural thing, more a function of memory than choice.

It'll be what it'll be.

:)

Pergy

You are one helluva classy guy.

Thoughtful and though provoking.

I appreciate you.

;)

bluemuse said:
I admire you greatly.

I love that band name. It just works.

Thanks. I sometimes wonder if I should have chosen a more conventional path....doesn't last long, though.

The band is fairly goth, and really dark, like Dead Can Dance with a cellist. Their fan club is called "With My Sorrows." Kinda adolescent, really. I was disappointed.

voxverite said:
Here's the thing: love folks, do your best, learn stuff everyday, pay attention to individual moments, be honest. That's the way I figure it.

Regrets? They come with consciousness, a natural thing, more a function of memory than choice.

It'll be what it'll be.

:)

Lotta wisdom in there. Taoist and Buddhist both. I was thinking more of the choices we make to stay with the comfortable and conventional...pay the bills or move to Nepal for a year? That kind of thing.

Btw, nice to meet you, Vox. Interesting nick.

busybody said:
Pergy

You are one helluva classy guy.

Thoughtful and though provoking.

I appreciate you.

;)

*sigh* isn't he just all that and more.
He's on my very, very short list of Lit hero's.

Peregrinator said:
Thanks. I sometimes wonder if I should have chosen a more conventional path....doesn't last long, though.

The band is fairly goth, and really dark, like Dead Can Dance with a cellist. Their fan club is called "With My Sorrows." Kinda adolescent, really. I was disappointed.

lol...soooo many bands out there that aren't as good as their name. There should be a law.

tendril said:
*sigh* isn't he just all that and more.
He's on my very, very short list of Lit hero's.

Tendril, one of these days I'm going to visit your lovely country, and I'm going to come find you, and the wierdos on the other island are gonna wonder why the borealis is so spectacular tonight...

bluemuse said:
lol...soooo many bands out there that aren't as good as their name. There should be a law.

That would be a great thread. I bet we'd get a list of like 5000 in about ten minutes.

Back