What are you reading at the moment?

Have you read "The Recollections of Rifleman Harris"? A classic slim memoir of an ordinary rifleman in the 95th.
Eesome,
I haven't. Whilst I have a long-standing interest in military history and the Napoleonic era, it was pure serendipity that I stumbled across Urban's Wellington's Rifles— the title simply caught my eye as I was scanning the local library's shelves for something to read.

I'd never really read anything on the Peninsular War though I've seen multiple references to it as being a singularly nasty affair. I vaguely recall having once before read an explanation of the origin of the term "forlorn hope" ( it might have been Patrick O'Brian ); Urban's work refreshed my memory.

I take it as a given that you recommend The Recollections of Rifleman Harris. I'll keep my eyes peeled. My reading tastes are wildly eclectic with a non-fiction bias.

Thanks and regards,
Trysail

Rereading The DaVinci Code. It's not very well-written, but what the hell...its a good way to waste a Saturday. :)

Just finished "Miles to go before I sleep" by Jonathan Scott, & "Nation" by Terry Pratchet.
Those interested in a decent background to a fictional story might look at Bernard Cornwell, the "Sharpe" books. His background research into the Peninsular War is very accurate.

Just finished "Miles to go before I sleep" by Jonathan Scott, & "Nation" by Terry Pratchet.
Those interested in a decent background to a fictional story might look at Bernard Cornwell, the "Sharpe" books. His background research into the Peninsular War is very accurate.

Yes. I've read all the Sharpe novels and have most of them on my shelves. I liked the ones set in India in Wellesley's earlier British campaigns there - very atmospheric.

Re reading "The Gnostic Gospels" by Elaine Pagels. She is one of those people who is so radiantly intelligent that I keep having 'why didn't I think of that' moments.:)

Re reading "The Gnostic Gospels" by Elaine Pagels. She is one of those people who is so radiantly intelligent that I keep having 'why didn't I think of that' moments.:)

Your user name: Ishtat

From the sound and the avatar picture, I'm guessing that's Sumerian, or at least Mesopotamian of some description, but a quick web search doesn't bring up anything under that name. Care to fill in a little background?

And back to the purpose of this thread...

I'm reading the June issue of Cycling Plus magazine, which arrived through the letterbox this morning. Articles on an upsurge in numbers of lady cyclists, on troubles faced by organisers of races and tours on the open roads, a test of cycle helmets and the important dimensions of a bicycle.

I have two going, one for candy, one for research:

"Borderline" by Nevada Barr. She's never disappointed me.

and

"Operation Deep Freeze" by Ellery D. Wallwork - Office of History, Air Mobility Command

*** enters... places latest books on table next to Eesome... ***

Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy...

Get Everything Done by Mark Foster

9780752897509.jpg
9780340746202.jpg

*** enters... places latest books on table next to Eesome... ***

Hi, there!

Torchwood: Trace Memory

and

Facebook: The Missing Manual
('cos I'm finally signing up and want to make sure I know how to use the privacy settings to limit who can see what)

Last edited:
Hi, there!

Torchwood: Trace Memory

and

Facebook: The Missing Manual
('cos I'm finally signing up and want to make sure I know how to use the privacy settings to limit who can see what)

I never use Facebook... too busy and over-rated. I like things simple and easy entertainment that I like.

:)

Your user name: Ishtat

From the sound and the avatar picture, I'm guessing that's Sumerian, or at least Mesopotamian of some description, but a quick web search doesn't bring up anything under that name. Care to fill in a little background?

Good guess. The name was supposed to be Ishtar but I am a lousy typist and missed the r and hit the t. The AV shows the Queen of Heaven and her consort, Innanna and Dummuzi (Tammuz in the Bible) .The serpent is looking over her shoulder as she offers him the fruit of the Tree of knowledge. It comes from a Sumerian cylinder seal dated 2500 BC.:)

ReReading Jodi Picoult's Keeping Faith. Really powerful stuff...she always hits the controversial topics.

Yes. I've read all the Sharpe novels and have most of them on my shelves. I liked the ones set in India in Wellesley's earlier British campaigns there - very atmospheric.

I devoured the Sharpe series. My poem, Seringapatam, was inspired by Sharpe's Tiger.

I really like Cornwell's other books too.

Right now I'm reading Heat Lightening by John Sandford.

'Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into Great Lives'..**** facts about famous folks.

and

'Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into History, Again'...second volume of facts and anecdotes from the pages of history.

The Bathroom Reader humor/trivia/reference series is hugely entertaining...and you're never at a loss for reading material while on the porcelain throne. :D

Unusually for me I'll have to state a preference of a TV adaptation over an original book and say that Sharpe just isn't the same without Sexy Sean Bean <swoon>.

Anyway, to the matter in hand.
I'm re-reading a seminal book (for me). Never Change by Elizabeth Berg. Her descriptions, characters, attention to detail, gentle, beautiful writing move me to tears every time. Each time I read this book I am equally inspired to write and devastated that I will never be able to write as she does. A truly beautiful book that I must *must* recommend. It's not very long, but it stays with you.

x
V

Good guess. The name was supposed to be Ishtar but I am a lousy typist and missed the r and hit the t. The AV shows the Queen of Heaven and her consort, Innanna and Dummuzi (Tammuz in the Bible) .The serpent is looking over her shoulder as she offers him the fruit of the Tree of knowledge. It comes from a Sumerian cylinder seal dated 2500 BC.:)

So it's Ishtat, Sumerian goddess of typos, then (I'm sure there were slips of a stylus that could cause unintended homour in cuneiform back then, just as much as there is on a keyboard now).

Unusually for me I'll have to state a preference of a TV adaptation over an original book and say that Sharpe just isn't the same without Sexy Sean Bean <swoon>.
x
V

Took me ages to get used to a Sharpe who was blond rather than black haired as in the books, and with a Yorkshire accent (Sharpe's meant to be a runaway from the London slums).

And a :kiss: back to you too!

Anyway, as you say "to the matter in hand"...

I'm reading "The Time Team Guide to the Archaeological Sites of Britain and Ireland." Definitely coffee table as archaeology books go, but fit for the purpose, which is building a list of places I want to go and see (even if I'd then need to look elsewhere to research them).

I'm about to start "Guilt by Association" by Susan R. Sloan; "A potent mixture of political thriller, saga and courtroom drama... or so the cover says :)

Back