Can anyone suggests a writing book...

CassidyCaine

Virgin
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good writing book that goes over tenses, past, present future and such? I've been writing for a while but I know it's my biggest weakness. I was hoping to find a good writing book that goes over it as apart from a standard grammar book as it seems to sink in better that way. I though some of the books on point of view might have some but I've yet to find one. I think if I can sharpen my tense use my writing will be much better.

Thanks,
Cassidy

These are old editions now, but there may be new ones--quite understandable, with examples and exercises, workbooks I've used with basic editing classes (but just as good for writers):

Eugene Ehrlich, Punctuation, Capitalization, and Spelling, from Schaum's Theory and Problems Outline Series (McGraw-Hill).

David and Barbara Daniels, English Grammar, Harpercollins College Outline.

I was going to suggest just that ^^^^

I figured you were. So I quickly swept in ahead of you to ensure that I am the one getting the glory and consequently the admiration and carnal attention of all the sexy groupies. Hah! :cool:

Last edited:
Some other helpful books on style, etc., are "The Elements of Style," by Strunk and White, and "Eats, Shoots, Leaves," by Lynne Truss. I haven't read either one, but they are frequently cited.

For more general info on writing, I'd recommend Stephen King's "On Writing" and "Danse Macabre," although more the former, I think. Both are good reads, though.

I figured you were. So I quickly swept in ahead of you to ensure that I am the one getting the glory and consequently the admiration and carnal attention of all the sexy groupies. Hah! :cool:

h0049FFB2

There is one book, a lot refer to it as the secretary's bible, and that's the Gregg Reference Manual. It will help you with everything from punctuation, grammar, usage and spelling.

In the old days people learned crafts one step at a time, starting with the basics.

Writing what you mean to say is the absolute basic, and I cant name one book or author who covers the subject.

Oh! I just asked a really similar question without bothering to read this

I don't think that a book is going to help you that much - I am sure you have internalized the rules, you just aren't aware of it. I recommend, when you do your proofreading, read your story out loud to yourself. I think you'll find your tense disagreements if you can hear them aloud. -TOWM

I've met very few writers--and all of them were seasoned professional writers--who had internalized standard writing guidance well enough not to have to have written sources at hand and not to check them frequently. So, I don't think "you don't need help" is very good advice. I commend the OP for realizing that.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good writing book that goes over tenses, past, present future and such? I've been writing for a while but I know it's my biggest weakness. I was hoping to find a good writing book that goes over it as apart from a standard grammar book as it seems to sink in better that way. I though some of the books on point of view might have some but I've yet to find one. I think if I can sharpen my tense use my writing will be much better.

Thanks,
Cassidy

I can recommend
"Gwynne's Grammar" by N.M.Gwynne. Publ. Ebury Press, ISBN: 9780091951450.

It claims to incorporate Strunk's Guide to Style.

Back