Writing Goal for the Day?

jdnunyer

I am not who I am
I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread where we announce what we intend to accomplish for the day, then check back in at night or the next day to let people know if we got there.

My goal for today is to revise 10-12k words of a novel that's on its second draft. But since I absolutely hate my own writing and revising often involves rewriting significant portions from scratch, that may be a bit too ambitious. :\ But tomorrow is back to the grind, so I'd like to make a big push before the weekend is over. :)

So what's your goal? Nifty 250? Revise an existing draft?

If you are into writing goals, perhaps you should take part in this year's NaNoWriMo. Many of us have successsfully completed that challenge.

I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread where we announce what we intend to accomplish for the day, then check back in at night or the next day to let people know if we got there.

My goal for today is to revise 10-12k words of a novel that's on its second draft. But since I absolutely hate my own writing and revising often involves rewriting significant portions from scratch, that may be a bit too ambitious. :\ But tomorrow is back to the grind, so I'd like to make a big push before the weekend is over. :)

My goal is to complete the next section of my current chapter. Won't be easy have family over so time is limited.

I would also like to mention that when the 'muse is upon me' that my first goal is to lave the internet off and not post here, it becomes very distracting.

Oh damn! I posted under my alt! See what happens when you try to imitate the GB?

LC68

My goal is to complete the next section of my current chapter. Won't be easy have family over so time is limited.

I would also like to mention that when the 'muse is upon me' that my first goal is to lave the internet off and not post here, it becomes very distracting.

Oh damn! I posted under my alt! See what happens when you try to imitate the GB?

LC68

Yeah what this guy said!

Blank page writing. I should get 1,000 words given that I've been thinking through this scenario. Of course, I'll get up tomorrow and realize most of that is garbage.

Trying to kick the depression that has been forcing the writers block.
Well, it's not really like that, just trying to make myself feel good in order to write about 1000 words.

I have managed to write seven fifty-word stories today for the Summer Lovin' Contest.

I have to complete fifteen fifty-word stories to reach the minimum 750 words to enter them as a single submission.

Writing the next eight might lead to required revisions to the first seven.

Fifty-word stories take time.

I'd like to write something, anything, on any of the three or so stories I have going right now...

Today is more of a submitting day than writing. I'm putting some final edits (translation: I can't leave the damned stories well enough alone!) on several pieces before I send them off to a couple of publishers.

JD; I love the idea of this thread. Great idea. I plan to frequent here regularly. Thanks!

I have managed to write seven fifty-word stories today for the Summer Lovin' Contest.

I have to complete fifteen fifty-word stories to reach the minimum 750 words to enter them as a single submission.

Writing the next eight might lead to required revisions to the first seven.

Fifty-word stories take time.

When I was in college I had an assignment to write a publishable story in exactly 100 words. A great exercise, but one of the hardest of my college career. My hat is off to you Ogg for this endeavour that you set for yourself.

In addition to my ‘day job’ – which mainly involves writing and editing non-fiction – I try to write 500 words of fiction each day. I do this at least five days a week; sometimes seven days a week.

To some of you speedsters, 500 words may not sound very many. But I gather that was Graham Greene’s daily quota, and it worked out pretty well for him.

And now back to my day job.

I have a loving wives story developing in my head...I think the description will be something like "true love is giving him what he wants, right?" I predict low scores.

Only hesitation is that last time I posted there I lost some pretty red H's when "they" bombed the rest of my stories. Hate to lose them that way.

If I didn't love what I write, I wouldn't be writing...

Goals...really don't set any, if the mood hits me I do it, otherwise I don't. When I'm in the mood 10K or more words are not rare. Sometimes, though, 2-3k words are more the norm.

Right now I have 3 novels/novellas at the top of my list and another 4 I would really like to work on along with a multitude of short stories. To bad there isn't more time in a day, plus there is a lot of wasted time getting in the mood.

Last edited:
When I was in college I had an assignment to write a publishable story in exactly 100 words. A great exercise, but one of the hardest of my college career. My hat is off to you Ogg for this endeavour that you set for yourself.

I've written them before. I've even written a How-To on how to write them. That doesn't mean that they are easy. :)

JD; I love the idea of this thread. Great idea. I plan to frequent here regularly. Thanks!

Thanks, Litfan. I hope it helps people!

Best of luck to cliper, Jimmy, oggbashan, PennLady and Jomar. There's still a few hours left in the day. :) I'm a bit short of my goal at this point too, but lately I've been pretty nocturnal, so I plan to be up for a good while yet. Hopefully I can get thereby the wee hours of the morning.

I've never tried writing fifty word stories, oggbashan. That sounds really hard. Color me impressed.

You're a braver man than I, submitting to LW with a story like that, Jomar. One of these days I may try it just to say I've done it, but it sure seems like everyone who has tells horror stories about the reader responses. :eek:

My day job is mostly writing non-fiction too, Sam. I'm a professor and, contrary to most people's perception, that means that teaching is only a tiny fraction of what they pay me for (at least, at research universities like mine, it is). I think writing 500 words a day on top of that is very impressive. I mostly just tend to write fiction on days that I don't work on research at all. I find it very hard to switch back and forth between the two very different mindsets.

10k is not rare for you, Zeb? Wow. That's impressive. If I write 5-6k in one day, I'm really proud of myself.

Today was a better day for writing then I thought. My daughter rescued me from the nephews by taking them to a Pawsox game. I am currently at 3,000 words on my latest chapter, and a couple of hours ago broke off to work on the edits for the chapter that will be submitted tomorrow.

Thanks, Litfan. I hope it helps people!

Best of luck to cliper, Jimmy, oggbashan, PennLady and Jomar. There's still a few hours left in the day. :) I'm a bit short of my goal at this point too, but lately I've been pretty nocturnal, so I plan to be up for a good while yet. Hopefully I can get thereby the wee hours of the morning.

I've never tried writing fifty word stories, oggbashan. That sounds really hard. Color me impressed.

You're a braver man than I, submitting to LW with a story like that, Jomar. One of these days I may try it just to say I've done it, but it sure seems like everyone who has tells horror stories about the reader responses. :eek:

My day job is mostly writing non-fiction too, Sam. I'm a professor and, contrary to most people's perception, that means that teaching is only a tiny fraction of what they pay me for (at least, at research universities like mine, it is). I think writing 500 words a day on top of that is very impressive. I mostly just tend to write fiction on days that I don't work on research at all. I find it very hard to switch back and forth between the two very different mindsets.

10k is not rare for you, Zeb? Wow. That's impressive. If I write 5-6k in one day, I'm really proud of myself.

Thanks. There was a time, years ago, that I was doing 25k words a week. After finishing the stories, all mutli-chapter, on Lit, I found out about Nano. In the span of Nano I had written two 50K plus stories. I have slowed down since then. :eek:

Today was a better day for writing then I thought. My daughter rescued me from the nephews by taking them to a Pawsox game. I am currently at 3,000 words on my latest chapter, and a couple of hours ago broke off to work on the edits for the chapter that will be submitted tomorrow.

Congrats! Good for you, LC.

Got some done, and will likely get a little more, and was asked about putting one of my stories for sale on a site. :) That boosts one's ego and gives some encouragement.

Back