6. Guy and girl kiss/have sex/etc.
7. End

yes?

Or the average romantic comedy plot:

1. Guy likes girl
2. Guy meets girl
3. Hilarious misunderstanding
4. Prolonged self-doubt, possibly binge drinking
5. Zany scheme to fix non-existent problems.
6. Girl sets guy's bullshit correct
7. Togetherness! The end.

Outline for basic romance story:

1. Guy
2. Girl
3. Guy and girl meet.
4. Guy and girl kiss/have sex/etc.
5. Guy and girl fight.
6. Guy and girl kiss/have sex/etc.
7. End

yes?

Sounds about right. If you're feeling really clever, they can fight, then she sleeps with another guy, then fights with him and gets back together with guy from 1.

Or the average romantic comedy plot:

1. Guy likes girl
2. Guy meets girl
3. Hilarious misunderstanding
4. Prolonged self-doubt, possibly binge drinking
5. Zany scheme to fix non-existent problems.
6. Girl sets guy's bullshit correct
7. Togetherness! The end.

Or that. :p

Unlike straight up romance, if it's a romantic comedy, it is imperative that the guy be a complete loser whose only redeeming value is that he is sorta kinda funny at times, in a very formulaic and safe for mass audiences way. He must not be particularly good-looking, and he certainly better not have something resembling a successful career.

Maybe that's not all rom-coms. Maybe I've just seen too many Judd Apatow movies...

Or that. :p

Unlike straight up romance, if it's a romantic comedy, it is imperative that the guy be a complete loser whose only redeeming value is that he is sorta kinda funny at times, in a very formulaic and safe for mass audiences way. He must not be particularly good-looking, and he certainly better not have something resembling a successful career.

It's true, successful men are only useful as asshole foils that the dumpy schmuck of a protagonist must prove himself against!

The girl, on the other hand, is of fashion-model caliber, but still accessibly nerdy in a totally non-threatening way.

Yeah, I'm not cynical about rom-coms...

I actually quite enjoy Apatow's movies, despite the fact that they are incredibly formulaic as described. Chalk it up to guilty pleasure, I guess.

That and I'll watch Paul Rudd in just about anything.

It's true, successful men are only useful as asshole foils that the dumpy schmuck of a protagonist must prove himself against!

The girl, on the other hand, is of fashion-model caliber, but still accessibly nerdy in a totally non-threatening way.

LOL. Exactly.

Yeah, I'm not cynical about rom-coms...

Why limit yourself to rom-coms? I try to bring my cynicism with me wherever I go. :p

I think you have, and it may be why I haven't seen any. :)

Wise choice. :)

I actually quite enjoy Apatow's movies, despite the fact that they are incredibly formulaic as described. Chalk it up to guilty pleasure, I guess.

That and I'll watch Paul Rudd in just about anything.

At first I liked them, though they were never more than a guilty pleasure. But after a while I felt like I'd seen them before he even made them. :rolleyes:

I do like Paul Rudd though.

That explains why I have no friends then, I guess. :eek:

LOL. I didn't mean it as a value judgment or anything -- I just find that as I get older, I'm more interested in being enthusiastic about things than how much everything sucks.

I'm still cynical, I just try to be cynical in moderation.

Speaking of enthusiasm, only three posts to 100, yay.

LOL. I didn't mean it as a value judgment or anything

Oh, I didn't take it that way. The above was a joke.

I just find that as I get older, I'm more interested in being enthusiastic about things than how much everything sucks.

I'm still cynical, I just try to be cynical in moderation.

Right. Being down about everything all the time is boring.

Though I'd say there's a difference between being bleak or overly pessimistic on the one hand and cynical on the other.

Congrats (a bit early), on making it to 100!

Though I'd say there's a difference between being bleak or overly pessimistic on the one hand and cynical on the other.

Probably. But I'm sure you've met the guys who shit on everything all the time and say they're just being "realistic"...

Yeah, congrats GinaTina. I guess I should probably cool it with the threadjacking :D

Is post-count important?

And thanks! It already has 14 views, which is weird considering it hasn't been approved yet. Hmm...

Is post-count important?

And thanks! It already has 14 views, which is weird considering it hasn't been approved yet. Hmm...

You need 100 to get an avatar. I feel naked without one. And not in a good way.

My last story got 56 views before it went live! Not that I was checking... :eek:

Today is Day 1 of hubby's ten day "work" trip; he claims he'll be in Very Important Meetings, but really, I think it's just an excuse to gallivant across Europe to escape the miserable heat of August here in the US.

My goals for these next ten days are: to work a bit on a romance chapter so that it's done by the end of the week, to finish outlining a multi-chapter sci-fi/fantasy story, and to make progress on a Halloween story.

And not leave all the housework until the last day. And not scream at my teething, tottering toddler (I haven't... yet). And eat healthy food, and exercise, and do the jobs I get paid to do.

There. I wrote it. Now I have to do it instead of moping in front of the TV while watching five years of Doctor Who and cursing my husband's beer-drinking, pretzel-eating, Alps-hiking ways.

Back