Entertainment Discussion Forum

The Good Wife...anyone else round here watching?

Loving how the new season has started! :D

And of course, Supernatural and Arrow started very well too!
 
Just started watching The Man In the High Castle and oh god, the opening, be still my heart! I researched Philip K. Dick for a paper last year and he was a complete piece of work, I'm pretty interested to see what happens. Has anyone else looked at this? Feels kind of like Fallout-y/Bioshock-y. Neat!
 
Ok, just finished the first two episodes for that show that are up on Amazon. Pretty good! It's a little heavy-handed but the setting is the compelling part, very frightening. More, please!

I've also been enjoying How to Get Away With Murder. Nice queer representation on that show, even if it is just white gay guy so far. I'm also thinking about finishing Hannibal, but whenever I think about it not coming back I start sulking.
 
Alright, it's that time! Walking Dead premiere! I know that a few people have to wait to watch it, so whenever you feel like talking/crying/wringing your hands over it... I'll be here. And any other shows, it's been a good couple of weeks for premieres. Anyone?

YES!! TWD.... yay!
 
Star Wars

I'm not gonna act as if I'm a mega fan or anything, because I'm not. Hell, my first exposure was the episode IV special edition and my knowledge of the expanded universe limited to mainly the games perhaps I can't even be called a true fan by the most elite of Star War nerds. This year though, what with the trailers for the Force Awakens and Battlefront coming out soon, the series has re-lodged itself into my head. Needless to say, I'm excited but cautious. I really hope they don't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAUiyeJMFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xp-qtUlsQ
 
Finally saw Mad Max, pretty much because everyone kept nagging me to do so. "It's a feminist movie! You'll love it!" Yeah, but how is it a feminist movie if it's only upholding one type of femininity? What does "feminist movie" even mean? Although the craziness of the plot was enjoyable and I liked the movie itself for pure watchability.

Watching Crimson Peak right now and I just really, really like Jessica Chastain. I've never seen her in a poorly acted role. Tom Hiddleston remains dismayingly attractive. Scary stuff! Blood everywhere! Ghosts! What do you mean, I missed Halloween? So what?
 
Finally saw Mad Max, pretty much because everyone kept nagging me to do so. "It's a feminist movie! You'll love it!" Yeah, but how is it a feminist movie if it's only upholding one type of femininity? What does "feminist movie" even mean? Although the craziness of the plot was enjoyable and I liked the movie itself for pure watchability.

Watching Crimson Peak right now and I just really, really like Jessica Chastain. I've never seen her in a poorly acted role. Tom Hiddleston remains dismayingly attractive. Scary stuff! Blood everywhere! Ghosts! What do you mean, I missed Halloween? So what?

A rose left for a beautiful thorn....and a tid bit of jealousy upon missing out on Crimson Peak so far...
 
This is similar to the reasons I hate the Bechdel Test. WTF kind of measure is that? How sad and low? Mad Max is 'feminist' because it has a strong, female character. How is that feminist? How is that the bar??

Ugh yeah I hate the Bechdel Test. And I can always tell people think they're really cool when they bring it up. Their eyes light up like, "oh ho, have I got a deal breaker for you!" Like what? What's a strong, female character? Are we constantly flexing? Very irritating.

Furiosa was enjoyable because it's nice to see women being visible without being objectified, but she still relied upon Max. I didn't really see how it was even stereotypically, second-wave feminist - the roles were there, just presented in different ways.
 
I wish all the trailers and stuff for the new Star Wars would show these new kids personalities a little bit. It's all them staring off-camera all dramatically while they speak in voice-over and try to sound profound. Give me some bickering or joking or something.
 
Whenever Frank Castle talks:

tumblr_nltpckpKSv1tq4of6o1_500.gif
 
This thread is weird - I post in it to keep track of all the stuff I've watched/played. Working so far!

Anyway, Justified. Don't you say a goddamn word, Ruffles. And it's not for Raylan, either, because I find his character to be incredibly irritating (although I like his detection skills) and quite often boring. Maybe that'll get better. It's all of the elements put together: the writing, the view of the marshals, the tie-in of different plotlines. However, the show is very, very white. At least so far. And the honorable, code-driven mountain justice is a little tired. I thought Winter's Bone did that better.

What else? Shameless, I guess. But I get so frustrated with that show that I keep starting and stopping, in season three at the moment. Finished Penny Dreadful and I'm infuriated. Started watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (why? why? dating an Australian? who knows??). The Red Road - which I heard was cancelled so I should probably just stop now. Wallander, for my Branagh fix even if he is a lying bastard. Damages. Peaky Blinders. I'm pretty much counting the days until Luke Cage.

OH and Stranger Things. Awesome!

Um. What else... Oh. X-Men Apocalypse - sucked. The Jean Grey/Wolverine obligatory "connection" made me want to puke.

Civil War, where the fuck is the Latino Spider-Man we were promised?? I love Peter Parker but my hopes were too big, I guess.

Haven't seen Suicide Squad, nor do I want to. DC is just all around uninteresting for me at this point, cinematically. I can't even keep my promises to myself to watch Arrow or The Flash. I did watch The Killing Joke, just to torture myself and get angry all over again.

Finally played The Last of Us! Just my kind of story, but the gameplay was a little thin. Who cares?? Haven't gotten Overwatch yet although many friends are screeching about it. Played through Black Flag. Also Witcher 3, interesting stuff, but highly sexualized. Not sure what to play next!

Whew. Not a bad way to spend a summer.
 
Well, not promised but it was a definite possibility! At least the animated one coming up will have Miles.

I'll try Mr. Robot after Justified. I do love me some Rami Malek.

Haven't seen Ghostbusters but I think that's because I was a bit turned off by Kristen Wiig. I'll see it eventually. But Kate McKinnon, my god.

I'll get on those comics! I knew I was forgetting something over break. The DC comics I've read over the past few years have bored me completely but they were never my favorite anyway.

Did you ever try Man in the High Castle? I haven't returned to it after the start but wondering if I should.
 
Back
Top