I like Ships too

Yes, but - HMS Roberts was a WW2 monitor completed 1941, more seaworthy and faster than the WW1 monitor that was supposed to be HMS Saracen.

HMS Roberts is actually closer to the fictional HMS Saracen than the WW1 monitors, some of which couldn't make enough headway to steer against a strong tide. Some of the WW1 monitors had a notional top speed of 6 knots but rarely achieved that even in perfect conditions.

Quote from Jane's Fighting Ships of WW1: These monitors are extremely slow and unwieldy - in fact against a strong head wind and sea they can only make 1 or 2 knots. (HMS General Crawford and HMS Sir John Moore)

HMS Marshal Ney and HMS Marshal Soult had experimental Diesel engines which were so unreliable that Ney was moored in Dover as a stationary guard ship. Even when the engines worked they were slower than Crawford and Moore...

But HMS Roberts was very useful on and immediately after D-Day, bombarding German positions and tank formations.

I knew none of this. Thanks! :)

My Grandfather was RNR. Commanded salvage tugs, mostly... was apparently involved in Operation "Pedestal"- though I can't seem to find out the particulars... Also, was in charge of a good chunk of "Mulberry" placement - not sure if it was the Arromanches site, or the other one.

Love the Sir Peter the Russian av, btw. :D

I would think so.

The Island of Malta was awarded the George Cross for its defiance of the Axis forces. The resupply of Malta was critical because they were running out of food, fuel and ammunition. At one point the Governor was contemplating surrender because he couldn't feed the population even on minimal rations if resupply didn't happen within 10 days.

Those involved with the defence and supply of Malta were belatedly awarded a campaign medal which references, but is NOT, the George Cross.

The most famous incident was the arrival of the damaged tanker Ohio. Its fuel was essential to maintaining the aircraft and naval patrols from Malta that were crippling Rommel's Africa Corps.

Exactly, Ogg.

For those of you who aren't "Commonwealth" folk, the GC was (is?) mainly a decoration given to "Non-combatants.

I knew none of this. Thanks! :)

My Grandfather was RNR. Commanded salvage tugs, mostly... was apparently involved in Operation "Pedestal"- though I can't seem to find out the particulars... Also, was in charge of a good chunk of "Mulberry" placement - not sure if it was the Arromanches site, or the other one.

Love the Sir Peter the Russian av, btw. :D

This is the Wiki on Operation Pedestal

The Imperial War Museum has much information on it, and on the Mulberry Harbours.

Exactly, Ogg.

For those of you who aren't "Commonwealth" folk, the GC was (is?) mainly a decoration given to "Non-combatants.

The George Cross is awarded for bravery by civilians, and also to military personnel for bravery exhibited while not in combat e.g. unexploded bomb disposal. It is equal to the Victoria Cross, the highest decoration for valour in combat.

The Malta campaign medal was/is awarded by the Government of Malta, not the UK.

That's a helluva story and one which was not known to me.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I would think so.

The Island of Malta was awarded the George Cross for its defiance of the Axis forces. The resupply of Malta was critical because they were running out of food, fuel and ammunition. At one point the Governor was contemplating surrender because he couldn't feed the population even on minimal rations if resupply didn't happen within 10 days.

Those involved with the defence and supply of Malta were belatedly awarded a campaign medal which references, but is NOT, the George Cross.

The most famous incident was the arrival of the damaged tanker Ohio. Its fuel was essential to maintaining the aircraft and naval patrols from Malta that were crippling Rommel's Africa Corps.

Exactly, Ogg.

This is the Wiki on Operation Pedestal

The Imperial War Museum has much information on it, and on the Mulberry Harbours.

The George Cross is awarded for bravery by civilians, and also to military personnel for bravery exhibited while not in combat e.g. unexploded bomb disposal. It is equal to the Victoria Cross, the highest decoration for valour in combat.

The Malta campaign medal was/is awarded by the Government of Malta, not the UK.

iqpHU3LChxh4.jpg

A container ship sails into Tokyo Bay as a man fishes on the side of the bay in Tokyo.
For every two boxes of goods that go from Asia to Europe, only one comes back [filled]

...Lopsided demand between the two regions means carriers have had to charge less to move boxes eastward as they attempt to fill empties and cover fuel costs. That gap may narrow as European demand is curtailed by recession and Asia consumes more higher-value goods, such as car parts and scientific tools. Cargo heading that direction may become more profitable at a time when the industry is struggling to deal with overcapacity...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...s-to-defy-global-decline-in-2013-freight.html

iqpHU3LChxh4.jpg

A container ship sails into Tokyo Bay as a man fishes on the side of the bay in Tokyo.
For every two boxes of goods that go from Asia to Europe, only one comes back [filled]

So, used containers are a cheap in Europe.

shippingcontainerhotel54.jpg

New Travelodge!

The last real ship I rode

My last - on a day trip to top up the wine cellar:

R147_Seafrance_Rodin.jpg

It's not a real ship, of course. It's a barge for carrying trucks.

But it did have a real French restaurant on board.

Last edited:

An oil tanker is seen off the port of Bandar Abbas, southern Iran, on July 2, 2012

iqZhnDhRNiKw.jpg

The last ship I was on. Toured her when she was in New Orleans.

20120526__C_TN27-USSIOWA+PC6SYB0.JPG

I remember seeing either she or "New Jersey" in Long Beach Naval Yard, in mid-nineties...

I have always liked BB's - Been onboard USS Texas - which didn't get the cred she deserved, as she was in the ATLANTIC!!!!:devil:

Did you call for a pick-up?

BFoImTECQAAmY3I.jpg

Heavy Lift Vessel XIANG RUI KOU in Dutch Harbor waiting to load the Kulluk.

Back