"Because it's there."



2 climbers die in fall in Grand Teton National Park
Aug. 23, 2015


MOOSE, Wyo. (AP) — Two women died when they fell about 200 feet while trying to climb a mountain Grand Teton National Park.

The National Park Service says the accident occurred around 11 a.m. Saturday on the 12,300-foot Teewinot (tee-WIN'-aht) Mountain, the sixth-tallest peak in the Teton Range.

The agency identified the victims as 27-year-old Tyler Strandberg and 28-year-old Catherine Nix, both of Jackson. Their bodies were recovered from a rocky ledge at an elevation of about 11,500 feet.

more




 
...not really surprising...
dog.jpg
 
Working at Dow Chemical I came across a safety tidbit. Per mile travelled the most dangerous activities were rock climbing, motorcycle racing and commuting to work by bicycle. I had won races at local and regional drag strips and was riding bike to work every day or night rain or snow.

Still have to rock climb. On my bucket list. Skinny so big gut and lighter weight. But holy crap those indoor walls at medium level are brutal. Getting older too at 52.
 
Working at Dow Chemical I came across a safety tidbit. Per mile travelled the most dangerous activities were rock climbing, motorcycle racing and commuting to work by bicycle. I had won races at local and regional drag strips and was riding bike to work every day or night rain or snow.

Still have to rock climb. On my bucket list. Skinny so big gut and lighter weight. But holy crap those indoor walls at medium level are brutal. Getting older too at 52.

Bloody actuarials! Lmao. Per mile...horizontally...is a helluva a lot of climbing. I always wonder if they include mountaineering in those stats. A day at the crag is probably safer than a day at the beach. But yeah, you should try it on real rock. It doesn't have to be hard. Some rock is easier to climb than a ladder. Even when I was climbing hard and often, around the time I started this apparently deathless thread, I still got swatted on plastic. It's a different game, and they always make the walls dead vertical or overhanging. A lot more gymnastic. Sometimes real rock is pretty laid back and just fun.

I'm 50 myself and haven't done any serious climbing in years. I keep thinking this summer will be the one...and then it's November again. Bleah.

Probably the best way to get into it is to take a couple days with a guide. They can start you off with good practices and aim you the right direction. After that it's all about getting out there and doing the thing.
 
Yeah, per mile travelled climbing straight up, short very high speed close contact races and the dangers of dicing with cars. But still accurate. Makes you real hard core. LOL. It's a good enogh reason to try. The Niagara Escarpment has lots of beginner rocks to climb.

http://cdn.cottagelife.com.s3.amazonaws.com/files/2013/05/climbing-e1368721815212.jpg

http://www.greysauble.on.ca/graphics/oldbaldy1.jpg

That makes sense, since a fall from thirty feet is enough to kill you. There's a lot of thirty feets in a mile.

Heh, yeah, that's me, hardcore. Growl.

Indeed. It started hitting the climbing press a while back. Looks like a fun place.
 
12592230_499238356868152_7549240510285171587_n.jpg


Looking down at the river at Deer Creek. A fantastic stop for a lay-over day.
 
Back
Top