Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one calls to mind the Corn Laws in Britain, which I was reading about this week;

protectorist - noun an advocate of government economic protection for domestic producers through restrictions on foreign competitors
 
More Historical Slang Ps

Privateer - A woman competing with prostitutes but not depending on prostitution for her whole income.

prize faggots - Well-developed breasts in women.

pro-donna - An actress.

proctour, proctor - 1. one licensed to beg for a hospital; 2. A drunkard who talks copious nonsense.

prod noun and verb - the male act of copulation.

promoss - Australian - To talk rubbish; to play the fool.

promoted - dead (from Salvation Army)

propers - adjective - Rejected, refused (generally refused sex)

pross - 1. one who throws money to an itinerant actor; hence 2. a cadged drink; 3. a prostitute and 4. on the pross - looking for free drinks, sponging from stage-door johnnies (theatrical).

prugg(e) - A female partner, a doxy.

psalm-smiter - a ranting non-conformist; a street preacher; someone who is noisily religious.
 
poop (noun) - A raised, upper deck of a ship, located at the stern.

pooped - 1. (of a ship) awash with water above the poop deck, usually from a large following wave. That is a serious, life-threatening state. 2. (of a person, Slang) shagged-out; fucked-out; over-tired.

I've done a poop - toddler euphemism for having done a shit.
 
poop-scoop or pooper-scooper...What dog-owners should use more often along the towpath by my local canal.

Patrick
 
poop-scoop or pooper-scooper...What dog-owners should use more often along the towpath by my local canal.

Patrick

Here Here. And the local grass areas.

Protend is quite a word. From Protendere Stretch forth.

1 v.t. Stretch or hold out.
v.i. Stretch forward; stick out, protrude.
v.t. Extend (something) in length or in one dimension of space; in pass., reach from one point to another.
b Extend in magnitude or amount.
v.t. Extend in duration; protract, prolong.
v.i. & t. Portend or foretoken (something).

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
A dear friend gave me a book about the Burned-over District in Western New York State in the 1800s. The Erie Canal had a huge impact on this area and the book describes the towpaths built at that time. Since I have never lived around canals, this part of history (towpaths) had escaped me, until now.

There were so many evangelists in the above area, that psalm-smiter would probably have been heard, along with Presbyterian "priest-craft". The book referred to Baptists as Dunkers. That got a laugh out of me.

The poop deck has always made me wonder how it got its name.

Could protend be used to describe what happens during an erection, like; "His family jewels protended into something akin to the national treasury and the utter pleasure on her face was more than obvious.

protasis - noun 1. the introductory part of a play or narrative poem 2. CONDITION
 
Could protend be used to describe what happens during an erection, like; "His family jewels protended into something akin to the national treasury and the utter pleasure on her face was more than obvious.

The family jewels just hang there. It was his magnificent masculine member that protended. (Unless it was a pretender.)
 
Carlus, I thought the whole package was the family jewels. Are you saying only the balls are precious that way? Is it because the reproducers are stored there? If not for the most interesting part of the package, responding in protendous ways, no one would ever have been born, back in the day, not including immaculate conceptions, of course. Maybe it is the female perspective working here or just my girlish misinformation coming to light.
 
Carlus, I thought the whole package was the family jewels. Are you saying only the balls are precious that way?
Is it because the reproducers are stored there? If not for the most interesting part of the package, responding in protendous ways, no one would ever have been born, back in the day, not including immaculate conceptions, of course. Maybe it is the female perspective working here or just my girlish misinformation coming to light.

The phrase "family jewels" only refers to testicles (perhaps only in the UK).
And they are 'precious'; actually, you raise an interesting point.

If I understand the furore to be occasionally heard on Woman's Media, the Testicles are as important to a man as Breasts are to a woman. The difference is that where a woman can function as a woman without breasts a man cannot normally function without 'Balls' (he'd need prostheses with most women).
 
The poop deck has always made me wonder how it got its name.

The poop deck derives its name from the Latin word, puppis, which literally means the stern of a ship.

Some time in the fifteenth century, the French latched onto this Latin word to give a name to the raised upper decks of their ships, which were located at the stern. They called these decks la poupe, which was later bastardized by the English into poop decks.

But don't take my word for it. If a hot chick makes a video, then it has to be true.
 
Last edited:
I stand corrected, gents, I will forever think of family jewels as the danglers only. Pity to leave the staff out of the jewel box, though.

prosy - adj 1. PROSAIC 2. TEDIOUS
 
Here is a great weekend word;

prosit or prost - interjection used to wish good health especially before drinking
 


encomium • n., glowing and warmly enthusiastic praise.




A shipmate ran across the word in a Ken Follett novel and— to my astonishment (because I know where he's gone to school) said he'd never seen the word before.

 
Good Sunday to you all. Here is onr I have never encountered;

proser - noun 1. a writer of prose 2. one who talks or writes tediously

The poser would proser endlessly.
 
Good morning, everyone. This one is new to me;

proscribe - vt 1.a. To publish the name of (a person) as condemned to death with his property forfeited to the state b. OUTLAW 2. to condemn or forbid as harmful: PROHIBIT
 
My favorite seldom used word is in the sentence below. Makes me wonder how many words sound dirty but aren't.

Not only was she a practicing thespian, performing her acts in front of paying audiences, but she would often masticate at the dinner table.
 
My favorite seldom used word is in the sentence below. Makes me wonder how many words sound dirty but aren't.

Not only was she a practicing thespian, performing her acts in front of paying audiences, but she would often masticate at the dinner table.

And did you know that at my college, Baudie, males and females matriculate together!
 
Now that is what I call alliteration galore, Tio, dear.

proscenium - noun 1.a. the stage of an ancient theater b. the part of a modern stage in front of the curtain c. the wall that separates the stage from the auditorium and provides the arch that frames it 2. FOREGROUND
 
Welcome, Baudie.

prosaist - noun 1. a prose writer 2. a prosaic person

prosateur - noun a writer of prose
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top