Mature Category

Bebop3

Really Experienced
I know that the question about how strict category descriptions are for Laurel has been asked before, but the tag for Mature says May-December romances.

Does that mean (in your opinion, obviously) that a romance involving an older couple (fifties) wouldn't be appropriate or accepted?

Thanks!

I know that the question about how strict category descriptions are for Laurel has been asked before, but the tag for Mature says May-December romances.

Does that mean (in your opinion, obviously) that a romance involving an older couple (fifties) wouldn't be appropriate or accepted?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure but I think it would go in romance.

It would better be put in Romance if that's what it is. The readers there are about the chase, not the consummation. Thus the squicks many people have about reading sex between older folks don't have nearly the negative impact they might elsewhere.

Such stories have been posted to the Mature category, but the description of the category reflects reader preferences. May/December is what they're there for. December/December isn't going to hit the mark with the majority of the readership.

Thanks!

There are writers who use Mature to post stories about older couples, and their stories seem to be accepted.

But don't listen to me. I posted two contest stories to Mature and neither was well-received. I don't have the category figured out. For me, posting anything more there is a waste of time.

Romance, other option is erotic couplings which is kind of lit's catch all category. But it has far less of an audience then romance.

There are writers who use Mature to post stories about older couples, and their stories seem to be accepted.

And I'm one of them. My plots involved people, toward the end of their lives, who believed that their sex lives were pretty much older, only to find out, to their delight, that there was still some opportunity for a sexual relationship.

But there's a strong component of romance, too, because that's the way I like to write. If Laurel put the stories into the "Romance" category, though, I'd have no objections.

The best-received Mature stories seem to be long, romance-type tales that just happen to feature an age disparity. The readers there gobble that shit up, which is good for me because I enjoy writing a lot of that.

Less romantic stories still work, but you’ll take about a .2 hit on ratings.

The longer the better, and it doesn’t seem to matter much whether the woman is the older or younger partner.

There's a little disparity between older men and older women. You can edge farther toward the casual with older women. Having the younger woman be the pursuer in stories with older men also works out better. The older woman can be the pursuer and it seems to work out just as well as the opposite. The "dirty old man" bias is there, just as it is with similar couplings such as Father/Daughter or Uncle/Niece stories.

Romantic leaning goes over best, regardless of the coupling. They like long as well, but that's nearly universal site-wide.

I don't think it's "happen to feature age disparity". They like romance, yes, but the majority of the readers are there for that age disparity. It's a primary draw. At the very least, it's equal to the romantic leanings.

Still plenty of readership for quick and dirty, though. I can attest to that, as it's almost everything I've written in the category. :D

The best-received Mature stories seem to be long, romance-type tales that just happen to feature an age disparity. The readers there gobble that shit up, which is good for me because I enjoy writing a lot of that.

The longer the better, and it doesn’t seem to matter much whether the woman is the older or younger partner.

I have a few stories in mature some are fairly stroky milf storiesm but the most successful are two romances, one with an older woman/younger man then I reversed it.

Both could easily have fit in romance, but the age gap played to the mature category perfectly and they do enjoy romance in mature.

I haven't checked in forever, but just looked. Both are still on the front page of the all time mature hall of fame. For a brief period of time Home is where the heart is held #1

https://www.literotica.com/top/Mature-26

I haven't checked in forever, but just looked. Both are still on the front page of the all time mature hall of fame. For a brief period of time Home is where the heart is held #1

https://www.literotica.com/top/Mature-26

Nice work. My boy, Nate, discovered the charms of an older woman. Unfortunately, I tagged it with 'loving wife', before I realised what 'loving wife' really means on here.

I think you'd like how it panned out, from what I know of you so far. ;)

https://www.literotica.com/s/nates-evil-exploits-pt-09

I could have given it a more elegant subtitle - it's a lot less offensive than I made it sound.

Agree - some of my best received stories were in Mature, because they were older man/younger woman.

If they were age equivalent, I could have put the same story in Romance, and it would have run just as/almost as strongly, I think.

Some folk think Romance means dial down the sex - I've not found that. Romance folk like whatever they can get, provided a few heart strings are tugged along the way. The defining thing, I think, is emotion and intimacy and drama. The more you have, Romance readers will devour it just as hungrily.

I'm in the process -- a glacially moving process -- of writing an older woman/younger man story, so this is an interesting thread to follow. I haven't read many of these stories and will have to dive into the category to do my homework.

I'm in the process -- a glacially moving process -- of writing an older woman/younger man story, so this is an interesting thread to follow. I haven't read many of these stories and will have to dive into the category to do my homework.

The melange of stories in Mature is hard for me to decipher. There are long, romantic pieces and relatively short and strokey pieces, and both types can score well.

I think part of the problem is that Mature is a very small category, so the scores have a big influence from voters who pick up the story from the New list and other places rather than from the category hub.

My first Mature category submission is being edited right now – hope to have it posted soon. The story could easily go into Erotic Couplings since the age difference isn’t extreme (<20 years), but the main characters are from different generations, so the consensus among those who have read it (or at least the synopsis) is Mature.

It stretches to novella length (25K words), but that’s what I feel is necessary to make the older male/younger female relationship develop plausibly. There’s definitely a strong romantic element, but I didn’t want to submit to the Romance category. My former editor (LadyVer) was a strong proponent of that genre and warned me that the category has a lot of very specific expectations. Since I’m not very prolific in my output, I didn’t want to risk one of my few stories underperforming because I didn’t understand the nuances of the Romance category.

Probably this should end up getting tagged and locked so people can look it up. :rolleyes:

Categories have basic this is what the category is sort of about tags. Erotic couplings is the catch all simply because if there is sex in your story, it can go there. Mature means, so long as at least one person having sex in the story is over whatever age you want it can go in there. As in a thirty year old screwing an eighteen year old can go in there.

This means stick your story in whatever category you want. There are people who will bitch and moan because the story isn't exactly what they want, doesn't matter where you post it. There is one thing you have to keep in mind, you can't write a story for everyone.

Which means, pick a person and write the story for them, usually best to write the story you want. You can't please all of the people all of the time, you can't even please some of the people some of the time, please one person or please none.

Sidenote: Lovecraft toots his own horn because nobody else will. As in take what he says with a grain of salt, or more precisely, believe nothing. :D

Most of what I put in Mature is October-October or November-November couplings (December-December folks can't have sex, I don't think). Those stories seem to do just fine there. I've put some cougar stories in there as well.

My first Mature category submission is being edited right now – hope to have it posted soon. The story could easily go into Erotic Couplings since the age difference isn’t extreme (<20 years), but the main characters are from different generations, so the consensus among those who have read it (or at least the synopsis) is Mature.

It stretches to novella length (25K words), but that’s what I feel is necessary to make the older male/younger female relationship develop plausibly.

That's the right call. Sounds a lot like my first three Floating World stories - I had a mid-twenties/mid fifties age gap that caused no squick at all - lots of thank you comments from older guys (I'm guessing) who thanked me for a story written almost on their behalf, and some appreciative comments from women who liked my confident young heroine, and also tapped a bit of their daddy thing (without going down the incest path). Age and experience (and a touch of charm) vs youth and vibrancy.

Does mature have to have a happy ending? Or can your May/December couple decide that the age difference won't work, and split?

Does mature have to have a happy ending? Or can your May/December couple decide that the age difference won't work, and split?

I'd guess reality bites just as much in this category as any other, if you're writing realistically rather than simple fantasy.

I left one of mine with the younger woman going off with her boyfriend, but fondly remembering her older man. The other one ended ambiguously, with the implication that the young woman would assert her desires and continue her independent ways.

Most, but not all, of my stories in the Mature category are of older people with little age difference.

They seem to have been reasonably successful for my stories.

I have a couple of older man, younger woman stories but the woman might be designated a MILF.

I'd guess reality bites just as much in this category as any other, if you're writing realistically rather than simple fantasy.

I left one of mine with the younger woman going off with her boyfriend, but fondly remembering her older man. The other one ended ambiguously, with the implication that the young woman would assert her desires and continue her independent ways.

This.

Happy ending not required. You’ll get scads of feedback from folks wanting you to write a sequel, though.

Back