Summer Challenge thread

I'm struggling to pick these, I know gm's, I think I have butters, I think I have remecs but the rest no Damn idea,

I have no experience of others' writing here, so shall just say that it was great reading them all, and that 11 and 12 are beautiful.

Water Wings

I do not part the waters
I merge and meld with them
Begin my transformation
Into a mermaid
Surfacing only at direst need
Hoping each time will be the last
Before returning to the depths
Where I hope this time to stay
To view the world through dancing
Light that seems to go on forever

This has a trix feel to it to me. Probably very wrong but it seems to fit with her writing style.... Without names it all seems to blend together, if had been another couple of days I'm sure I wouldn't recognize my piece

Shoot the Moon

Wild berries and grain alcohol
Dust in clouds on rediscovered tracks
Coolers and beach towels
Line the creek while nearly naked bodies
Bob in tubes or cannonball from rope swings
And I can't decide what is brighter
The day sky or all the quarter, half and full moons
Rising from the water like shooting stars in reverse

Harryhill????

Last edited:
Bench Warmers

Robin's pop worked maintenance
on the boardwalk rides
We were his test crew
but spent most of our time
warming a bench
with grit between our toes.
Watching people passing by,
cracking ourselves up
telling their stories.
We liked the little old handholders best.
Over dried prunes
doing the boardwalk shuffle
in sweaters and slacks
or teeny bikinis and banana slings.
They shared their strange and interesting lives
just by strolling past our bench.

Remec, seems to have his flow, imagery and originality to it

Last edited:
An umbrella of shade above
Prickly grass below
Pencils and pad forgotten
As I watch the Spanish moss
Dangle with half lidded eyes
Thinking of stripping down
Doing a dance
To call the fickle zephyrs
To play with my hair
Or simply running arms wide
Through the field creating
My own breeze
To dry the damp that drains
Rather than refreshes

This feels like a trix piece too.

My guesses:
1201, #17
Butters, #4
Annie, #3
Todski, #10
HarryHill, #6
Pelegrino, #14
Remec, #2 and #5
GM, #11 and 15
BBG #16
Tsotha, not a clue
Des, WAG, #7
Champagne, WAG, #8

Edited to make wild ass guesses for Des and Champagne

Last edited:
Here are my guesses:

butters

Pelegrino

greenmountaineer

Todski

Remec
#1, #5, #15

Twelveoone

HarryHill

Champagne

Annie
#3, #6, #16

Trixareforkids
#9, #13

Des Esseintes & BBG1970
#7, #8

copying them all for later study and guess work by the process of elimination.
I have no clue yet for any, but unless it's a trick I think no. 11 is Greenmountaineer's.
I notice in Tsotha's guesses that he has covered all contributions without referring to himself at all. :)
So he has declared his piece(s) as been someone else's. I think this is probably the best way to avoid been recognized. Are we going to do it like that?

I have no clue yet for any, but unless it's a trick I think no. 11 is Greenmountaineer's.
I notice in Tsotha's guesses that he has covered all contributions without referring to himself at all. :)
So he has declared his piece(s) as been someone else's. I think this is probably the best way to avoid been recognized. Are we going to do it like that?
lmao

play it anyway you like, pelegrino :D it's just for fun

i can't believe yours hasn't been nailed yet.

and as for all the guesses about 12's - just wipin' tears here :devil:

seems like quite a few nailed my one at no. 4 :cool:

Well if we're fessing up to those that have been correctly identified. #9 & 13 are correct as identified by Todski & Tsotha

1 Remec
2 Champagne
3 Harry
4 butters confirmed, but I would have guessed it
6 Annie
8 1201
11 I fess up
13 I would have guessed trixie, but not 9
16 pellegrino
17 tsotha

Not sure about the others.

Special thanks to butters. She ought to run workshops. She's a born teacher. It's likely that you read the poems more than once in order to ID the poet. At least I did. There's a tendency to read a poem just once, particularly when there's a long list, but I believe a good poem deserves more than that, and a second or third reading brings out some of the subtleties that may have first been missed. There were some really good poems written here.

I agree with GM, this was a great exercise, lots of good poetry here. This was fun and a real challenge, trying to write in different styles and mask my own.

hi

Congrats for passing the challenge. You don't know how your words, have pilla, that means, other worldly impact. May God give you one billionth of the joy you give me.

1 Remec
2 Champagne
3 Harry
4 butters confirmed, but I would have guessed it
6 Annie
8 1201
11 I fess up
13 I would have guessed trixie, but not 9
16 pellegrino
17 tsotha

Not sure about the others.

Special thanks to butters. She ought to run workshops. She's a born teacher. It's likely that you read the poems more than once in order to ID the poet. At least I did. There's a tendency to read a poem just once, particularly when there's a long list, but I believe a good poem deserves more than that, and a second or third reading brings out some of the subtleties that may have first been missed. There were some really good poems written here.

So my poem is the one I attributed to twelveoone? :D

Were I to make my guesses again, they would change... I think I've messed up Annie & Champ's poems. And despite what butters said, I still think #2 is pelegrino's. :) Though it doesn't rhyme... Hm... tough.

Last edited:
So my poem is the one I attributed to twelveoone? :D

Were I to make my guesses again, they would change... I think I've messed up Annie & Champ's poems. And despite what butters said, I still think #2 is pelegrino's. :) Though it doesn't rhyme... Hm... tough.

Uh oh. Missed that one! Anyway, you're in good company if you guessed correctly.

banana_smiley_41.gif

Hidden in plain sight.

edit: I honestly thought mine would be recognized immediately. :eek: But let's see, lots of people still haven't given their guesses.

Last edited:
Back