Rejection

AfterDusk

Really Experienced
Joined
May 1, 2016
Posts
237
Hello all. I am in need of a second pair of eyes on this one...I’m working through the 5th part of my story First Death. Very obviously, as the title states, it is about death and mixed in with it is the world of vampires and wolves, blah blah blah. In fact, I open the entire thing with the main character attending his brother’s funeral.

As the story progresses he finds himself reevaluating his morality and in the 5th part he has cause to kill someone...and while it is in an entirely nonsexual way and not horrifically violent, my submission was rejected as being ‘snuff.’ Now I know for certain that I’ve ready plenty more violent things on Lit, some with substantially more gore, so I am confused as to which part of this chunk I need to dull down to pass inspection.

Here is the link to what is published, and if any is interested in helping with my conundrum, please send me a PM. Looking for an advanced writer/reader/editor on this one.

https://www.literotica.com/s/first-death
 
I'd zero in on your death scene and make sure it is brief and efficient story telling, nothing gratuitous. Make sure there is no sexual content in the scene and you should be able to get it over the line. Put a note to the editor saying you've checked your material and there's no snuff, no sexual titillation, no sexual content.

The fact that there may be other more violent content is irrelevant - you've got to get it past Laurel now, not some other writer last week, not last month. Remember, she scans dozens of stories a day but won't read super closely. So you have to take an educated guess what she's read, or misread, and answer the questions in the rejection notice.
 
Back
Top