When the power goes out ...

jaF0

Watcher
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Posts
36,069
... and you walk into another room. Do you reach for the light switch?
 
I do the Frankenstein walk to keep from breaking my nose on an open door.
 
34737029.jpg
 
... and you walk into another room. Do you reach for the light switch?

Sometimes.

With my modern main supply board if a light bulb fails it can trip the switch on that circuit and leave the rest of the house with power. Until I've tried in another room I don't know whether it is just a single circuit breaker or a neighbourhood outage.
 
I listen to the purr of my 2 cylinder Kohler that automatically starts once the power has been out for 50 seconds.
 
I'm sure I have. Habit.
Also tends to happen when phone and laptop have about a 35% charge. Then it's just nap time.
 
I've done that a couple of times, but it's really a habit of reaching for the switch as I walk through the bathroom door without a conscious thought.

That said, I'm sure that I've done things equally scatterbrained as trying to turn on the lights when the power was out. Trying to open power windows when the car battery is dead, maybe, because I know the air conditioning won't work. Trying to turn on the flashers. Something like that.
 
Only occasionally. We regularly lose mains power up here in the mountains so we have the drill down: candles, flashlights, gas stove, fireflies. If my meds don't cost too much this year, we'll likely get an auto-genny before next winter. If costs don't go down but power does during a blizzard, we'll retire to the little RV and run its genny.
 
... and you walk into another room. Do you reach for the light switch?

Yes, because the other room has 12-volt DC back-up power that runs on a solar-charged Costco battery. Living in a remote area, I am used to extended power outages.
 
Back
Top