how to spot a meth user

rae121452

Literotica Guru
how to spot a meth user?

i have a neighbor who's about 10 years younger than me. he was always a weird guy and i've made an effort to avoid him. over the past few years, he's aged to the point where he's unrecognizable. he was always wiry, now he's almost skeletal. but he doesn't have the symptoms of tiredness and weakness that come with hiv, he's up and out working every day. and he doesn't have sores on his face that i've noticed. if you saw how drastic the change is in just a relatively short time, you wouldn't believe it. anyone have any input? are there tells that give away a meth user?

Last edited:
You’ll know when you meet a meth user. There won’t be much Grey area or guessing

i have a neighbor who's about 10 years younger than me. he was always a weird guy and i've made an effort to avoid him. over the past few years, he's aged to the point where he's unrecognizable. he was always wiry, now he's almost skeletal. but he doesn't have the symptoms of tiredness and weakness that come with hiv, he's up and out working every day. and he doesn't have sores on his face that i've noticed. if you saw how drastic the change is in just a relatively short time, you wouldn't believe it. anyone have any input? are there tells that give away a meth user?

If they have really rotten teeth, they're either a meth user, or British... that distinction is pretty hard to tell.

There's an unfair stigma attached to meth addicts. Meth addiction is not a cookie-cutter disease. We're all wired different and respond to it differently. I don't have sores all over my face, I have all of my teeth... And if you think about it the "Faces of Meth" photos that have been around for the past 20 years are all the same people they haven't changed. I understand the propaganda associated with meth. Yes it's the devil, it destroys familys, and ruins people's lives, but not every person that uses meth experiences that. Be thankful you don't have to live as an addict, because the only way any of you will know what it's like to be in my shoes is to walk through hell just as I did.

i've made an effort to avoid him.

seems you are failing at that. Avoiding someone usually takes zero effort, yet here you are putting effort in to make his business yours. Why?

Rather than make assumptions why not offer friendship.

seems you are failing at that. Avoiding someone usually takes zero effort, yet here you are putting effort in to make his business yours. Why?

Rather than make assumptions why not offer friendship.

i have offered friendship when he first moved into the neighborhood. but it was heavy going, 3 times out of 4 he wouldn't even acknowledge me when i greeted him. as i got to know him a bit better it became obvious that he was a habitual liar and a manipulator. i cooled any efforts to be friends when i found out he was talking negatively about me behind my back. i'm not making his business mine, i'm merely trying to make sense of what is happening. people don't change that drastically without some cause and i've known crack users in the past who changed in appearance but not like this. i'm not aware of knowing any meth freaks so i don't know what to look for.

There's an unfair stigma attached to meth addicts. Meth addiction is not a cookie-cutter disease. We're all wired different and respond to it differently. I don't have sores all over my face, I have all of my teeth... And if you think about it the "Faces of Meth" photos that have been around for the past 20 years are all the same people they haven't changed. I understand the propaganda associated with meth. Yes it's the devil, it destroys familys, and ruins people's lives, but not every person that uses meth experiences that. Be thankful you don't have to live as an addict, because the only way any of you will know what it's like to be in my shoes is to walk through hell just as I did.

You’re almost right.

It’s actually not a disease at all.

What possible difference can it make to the original poster what someone that they have no interest in interacting with is or is not doing to abuse themselved?

You’re almost right.

The American Medical Association as well as professionals in psychiatry that used any of the last several Diagnostic and Statistical Manuals disagree with you

If you want to argue that it is self-inflicted, you might have a point.

Many diseases are to some extent self-inflicted. Some diseases we are just coming to underdtand what avoidable factors contribute to their onset.

Last edited:
What possible difference can it make to the original poster what someone that they have no interest in interacting with is or is not doing to abuse themselved?

The American Medical Association as well as professionals in psychiatry that used any of the last several Diagnostic and Statistical Manuals disagree with you

If you want to argue that it is self-inflicted, you might have a point.

Many diseases are to some extent self-inflicted. Some diseases we are just coming to underdtand what avoidable factors contribute to their onset.

We could discuss addiction as a disease.

Abusing methamphetamine, or even alcohol, is not, in itself a disease. It can lead to addiction, especially in the case of meth when you look at all the dynamic chemical things going on in the brain, but taking meth - even lots of it, often - is not a disease.

There is no predisposition or treatment for seeking a dealer, exchanging currency for drugs, and consuming drugs.

Exchange dealer for liquor store and drugs for booze, and the same applies for alchoholism.

Addiction... sure. There are a myriad of reasons, medical and psychological, why that can be considered a disease.

Meth abuse can be cured by simply making the meth unavailable. Same with booze, for those suffering gin blossomitis.
Treating addiction requires a bit more digging in the dirt, some honesty, and some coping strategies, to start.

I don't even really understand the point of the question. If you're already doing everything you can avoid him, of what relevance is his drug use? It doesn't sound like you're particularly concerned about his wellbeing, or thinking of seeing if there's anything you can do to help.

Does he have one of these?
Wilesco-D10-300.jpg

I used to have one and could be ID'd at the time by the burns on my fingers. Fucking flames from meths just wander over onto your finger without warning

i have offered friendship when he first moved into the neighborhood. but it was heavy going, 3 times out of 4 he wouldn't even acknowledge me when i greeted him. as i got to know him a bit better it became obvious that he was a habitual liar and a manipulator. i cooled any efforts to be friends when i found out he was talking negatively about me behind my back. i'm not making his business mine, i'm merely trying to make sense of what is happening. people don't change that drastically without some cause and i've known crack users in the past who changed in appearance but not like this. i'm not aware of knowing any meth freaks so i don't know what to look for.

Time and aging are not always kind to some folks.

Look at the Brendan Fraser fella:

tumblr_m17jbpUBNi1qbax27o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mz3fpb56NA1qcqqpjo2_500.jpg

I recently saw a picture of Axl Rose, and that guy has almost completed his transformation into Benny Hill:

Axl-Rose-axl-rose-23506112-479-700.jpg
350E6A4700000578-3631345-image-m-30_1465393451771.jpg

There are plenty of other reasons why he's transforming physically, like you observed, that are not necessarily nefarious or drug related, none of which would be your business, or something he would wish to discuss with you.

As to his reaction and behavior towards you, perhaps he just finds you a little too nosy and concerned about matters that don't concern you. Not saying this is the case of course, but his perception is his reality.

If you succeed in your search for a label to place on someone you are not interested in knowing, then what next? Share your decisive thoughts with your neighbours?

Curious that what could be just a normal ageing process for that individual, they may have been older than you assumed or any number of health or stress related factors you have chosen to consider HIV then meth abuse.

Are you feeling slighted that your initial attempts of getting to know this person all these years ago were not matched to your standards?

While I am certainly not condoning methamphetamine use I would suggest you would not see visible physical signs of use in well over 90%. You may see behavioural changes while someone is under the effects or dilated pupils. Not everyone who partakes turns into emaciated scab scratching addicts. "Use" maybe just on the odd occasion, on the weekends or a more frequent bump up without impacting dramatically on ability to perform an outwardly appearing normal life. There are also the weekend party folk who gym and eat healthy during the week to balance out their choice of lifestyle.

Your desire for labels may say more about you than the person you wish to place them on.

WebMD defines drug addiction as....
DRUG ADDICTION IS A CHRONIC BRAIN DISEASE that causes compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences to the drug addict and those around them. Drug addiction is a brain disease because the abuse of drugs leads to changes in the structure and function of the brain. Although it is true that for most people the initial decision to take drugs is voluntary, over time the changes in the brain caused by repeated drug abuse can impair a person's self-control and ability to make sound decisions, and at the same time create an intense impulse to take drugs.
Many people do not understand why people become addicted to drugs or how drugs change the brain to foster compulsive drug abuse. They mistakenly view drug abuse and addiction as strictly a social problem and may characterize those who take drugs as morally weak. One very common belief is that drug abusers should be able to just stop taking drugs if they are only willing to change their behavior.

You’re almost right.

Help me understand..... You view crack addicts as "users", yet the meth addicts are "freaks" ? Years ago when I was a real person I thought of myself as a "freak". When I discovered meth it made me feel alive.
If you'll bare with me for a minute, I'll freak you out with something to think about. Like I said, bare with me, this may be a stretch. A new neighbor moves In... Up front he's not very personable, he doesn't seem to want to engage in conversation, he is a habitual liar and manipulator, and says bad things about you. Not to mention horrible disfigurement his body is going through right now. He's not a meth addict, he's in Witness Protection. Think about it... dude just moved in and wants to stay to himself to be less conspicuous. Part of some organized crime syndicate where lying and manipulation are part of the business. When he found out that he's going to have to testify against these really really mean people, the amount of stress he's under has caused physical and emotional changes. Is it possible? Maybe
Your determination to find out exactly what's going on with this man iconsumes you. Why does it even matter? And as far as people saying shit about me "behind my back", it's none of my business.

If you are lucky enough NOT to understand addiction, then good for you. I hope you never have to!!!
I hope you never have to see someone you love disappear before your eyes while standing right in front of you.
I hope you never have to lie awake all night praying the phone doesn't ring yet hoping it does at the same time.
I hope you never know the feeling of doing everything you thought was right, while watching everything go wrong. I hope you never LOVE an addict. I hope you never know what it means to live afraid of yourself, to never trust yourself, to fight a raging war inside your own mind every moment of every day. To feel unwanted and unworthy. To NEED something that you know is destroying you, but you'll do anything to have it. To trade yourself, your life, and your soul and still end up broken and alone. To give away everything and everyone you had. To always question and have no answers. To have no choice yet have to choose to fight your battle. I pray that you never have to live as an addict.

If you are lucky enough NOT to understand addiction, then good for you. I hope you never have to!!!
I hope you never have to see someone you love disappear before your eyes while standing right in front of you.
I hope you never have to lie awake all night praying the phone doesn't ring yet hoping it does at the same time.
I hope you never know the feeling of doing everything you thought was right, while watching everything go wrong. I hope you never LOVE an addict. I hope you never know what it means to live afraid of yourself, to never trust yourself, to fight a raging war inside your own mind every moment of every day. To feel unwanted and unworthy. To NEED something that you know is destroying you, but you'll do anything to have it. To trade yourself, your life, and your soul and still end up broken and alone. To give away everything and everyone you had. To always question and have no answers. To have no choice yet have to choose to fight your battle. I pray that you never have to live as an addict.

I share your sentiment, god bless you 💗

As far as his appearance, there are a lot of things that can cause physical changes, including drugs, diseases and aging, or any combination of the three. As far as his attitude toward you? Maybe he just doesn't like you. Unless you are paying his rent, maybe you should mind your own business and keep your nose out of his.

I hope you start feeling empowered instead of afraid and ashamed.

I hope you find within you a willingness and motivation for change.

I hope you find the strength within yourself to take the first steps and get into some counseling, find some support.

I hope you are able to learn and make better choices, and less excuses.

I hope you realize there are others who came through what you are going through, and they can help you.

I hope one day you will get healthy, remain strong, and help others who struggle.

I hope you succeed at all of the above.

QUOTE=Emerson40;88335920]I hope you start feeling empowered instead of afraid and ashamed.

I hope you find within you a willingness and motivation for change.

I hope you find the strength within yourself to take the first steps and get into some counseling, find some support.

I hope you are able to learn and make better choices, and less excuses.

I hope you realize there are others who came through what you are going through, and they can help you.

I hope one day you will get healthy, remain strong, and help others who struggle.

I hope you succeed at all of the above.[/QUOTE]

WOW! Thank you.

While I am certainly not condoning methamphetamine use I would suggest you would not see visible physical signs of use in well over 90%. You may see behavioural changes while someone is under the effects or dilated pupils. Not everyone who partakes turns into emaciated scab scratching addicts. "Use" maybe just on the odd occasion, on the weekends or a more frequent bump up without impacting dramatically on ability to perform an outwardly appearing normal life.

I think there is some confusion of which "meth" we're talking about.
Methadone is Not Meth or Methamphetamine

I think there is some confusion of which "meth" we're talking about.
Methadone is Not Meth or Methamphetamine

I believe Meth is Methamphetamine.
Don’t think anyone’s discussing Methadone.
I could easily be wrong on all counts.

Back