The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

Marri felt like she was floating after all of the love that her husband had given her. She grinned at Caer as he protected her little boy and she leaned in to kiss her son's chubby little cheek. He was a good lad, one that was growing like a wild weed each and every day.

"I'll need to go to market tomorrow to get some cloth to make him some warmer clothing." She murmured as she helped Durban prepare their bed.

She let out a soft sigh as she slipped in next to him, the warm blankets nice and cozy as they both lay there staring at their son. "I can't believe that we made something so perfect, Ban. He's certainly the love of my life."
 
"Stole my title," Durban grunted with a chuckle. "I'm glad t'give it to 'im, but a little jealous. An' if we ever have a li'l girl, she's gonna steal it from you too."
 
"No one better steal my title." Marri said, looking at her husband with a mock glare. "Because I'm the only one allowed to hold your heart, Ban."
 
"Tell that t'him," Durban nodded toward Gabriel before he grinned and kissed her adoringly. He settled behind her with a sigh of contentment and his arm wrapped around her. It was only minutes before he was fast asleep at her side.
 
Marri smiled as she fell asleep with her husband, content with the life that they had made together with their son. She snuggled back into his warmth, letting out a little sigh as she thought about what the future might hold for their little family.
 
A few weeks passed and one day, Durban came back from a hunting trip with several rabbits and announced suddenly, "Marri, I think we should go t'Mongolia." It was out of the blue and he wasn't the sort of man to make such decisions so quickly.
 
"Mongolia?" Marri asked, looking up at her husband in shock at his sudden announcement. "Why Mongolia?"

Little Gabriel was sitting up next to her, his mouth open for another spoonful of soft gruel that she had been feeding him for dinner. He took the spoonful happily, growing like a weed each and every day. He was looking more like his father too, broadly built and darkly handsome.
 
"Well... If I'm honest, I miss it. An' you said you wanted t'see the world, an' Gabriel will be able to make the journey now. I'm no' sayin' right now... but maybe this spring." He laid the brace of rabbits down while he set his bow and arrows down.
 
"Do you think Gabriel is old enough for that kind of a trip?" Marri asked as her son demanded another spoonful.

She gave him another bite, listening as he made happy noises before she cleaned his mouth and allowed him to crawl to his father. He tugged himself up onto his feet using his father's kilt, snuggling against his side with a content sigh.
 
"I think 'e is. 'E's close t'walkin' an' it won't be long before I'll be able t'take 'im ridin' with me. I think 'e'd enjoy it. Nothin' says we can' wait a bit longer, but I've just got this feelin'... I want t'go back soon."
 
Marri stirred the boiling stew over the fire before she turned back to her husband with a look on her face that told him she would agree after some convincing.

"If I agree to go, I want to go spend some time with my family. Then we will go to Inverness to spend time with your family. In the mean time, you better be ready to do a lot of convincing in the woods." She said with a slight smile on her face.
 
"So a couple years, then." Durban scooped Gabriel up and stepped over to kiss his wife with thanks and adoration. He made a trip into the nearest town that day and sent a letter down to Dumfries for Marri's family. The reply they got a couple weeks later told them that they were dealing with some deadly shadows from Armen and Aida's past, and this made Durban suddenly determined to get down there and finish off this 'Charlie' character they spoke of.
 
By the time the little family got to Dumfries, Gabriel was walking. He was a terror on two tiny legs, getting into absolutely everything despite her best efforts to reign in his adventurous spirit. When they finally made it to the tavern, the first person he went to when his feet were on the ground was Lysander, a happy squeal issuing from the little boy as the older man picked him up in his arms and held him tightly.
 
Lysander scooped Gabriel up with a tired smile, and he looked to Marri with a hand outstretched to welcome her into a tight embrace. He seemed older than ever, but it wasn't just from the stress of the situation. He was just getting on in years was all. Armen emerged with an equally tired smile. "Hey, little sister."
 
"I'm so sorry we were gone so long, Grandpa." Marri murmured as he held her tightly against his chest.

She grinned as her brother emerged and she hugged him tightly as well. "Brother. Have you married Aida yet or do I need to hound you into making her an honest woman?"
 
"We're working on it, but we want to get out of trouble first," Armen chuckled. He called softly for Aida, who would be along with Elise and Gabriel both. Marri's parents were overjoyed to see her and little Gabriel again, but as they all sat down to an impromptu meal and things grew quiet, Armen knew it was time to tell his sister what was going on.

"I'd hoped we'd have this all sorted before you brought Gabriel down... but Charlie's too quick and clever to get caught," he sighed.
 
"That's why we're here, brother. Durban has skills as a tracker. If anyone can find that man, it's him." Marri said as Gabriel gurgled happily in his grandmother's lap, clapping and being merry despite the mood of the adults.
 
"I don't want to put you all in danger-"

"I'll find 'im, Armen," Durban told his brother-in-law in no uncertain terms. "An' one way 'r another, you an' Aida'll be safe when I'm done with 'im."
 
"And I'm going to run the tavern while I'm here." Marri said, looking at her grandfather. "And you will all take a much needed rest. You look absolutely exhausted."
 
"I'm always exhausted, love. I'm old," Lysander kissed her forehead and sat down, letting little Gabriel sit on his lap as he relaxed. Durban was soon talking with Aida and Armen about Charlie, and soon he'd go out to talk with the city guards to get an idea of where Charlie might be.
 
As the evening wore on and Durban spoke to Aida and Armen, Marri kept a watchful eye on her grandfather. She was worried about him and she wanted to know what was going on with him. Little Gabriel was slumbering on his shoulder as she sat down next to him, placing a kiss to his cheek.

"Are you alright, Grandpa?" She asked him softly, taking his hand and holding it tightly. "I'm worried about you."
 
"It's nothing anyone can do anything about, sweetheart. I'm getting old and it won't be long now before I'm catching up to your grandmother." He seemed at peace with the idea. "I miss her terribly... she'll probably be pretty angry with me for making her wait so long."
 
"She'll be waiting for you with a big smile on her face." Marri said softly, upset with the idea of losing her grandfather but knowing that he had waited for the moment for a long time. "Durban and I am traveling to Mongolia after we visit here and his family. When we leave Dumfries...I'll never see you again, will I?"
 
"Mongolia's a long way off... I expect you might be gone a year if you plan to stay there for any amount of time," Lysander sighed as he leaned back. "I honestly don't know if you'll even be gone to Inverness before I'm on my way, love... But either way..." He drew her closer and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "I love you, darling..."
 
She felt tears well in her eyes as he spoke about being gone soon. When he kissed her cheek she soaked in the moment, letting those tears fall. She had never known a time when he wasn't there for her and it seemed that their time was growing short.

"And I love you, Grandpa." She said softly, standing from her seat to take Gabriel to bed.

She paused, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "One day, we'll have our tavern back. I promise you that. And I will make sure that you are buried next to Gran."
 
Back
Top