What lesson/s are you quietly trying to impart with your writing?

Joined
Apr 3, 2017
Posts
951
Yeah, go on, you know you do it.

Bisque wants us to know Nazis need a good punching, and I know a few others here are trying to Say Something with their writing, even if it's dialled down.

Mine's probably the Matrix's 'know thyself', riffing on a theme of self-exploration.

GoldenGoodnaturedDragonfly-size_restricted.gif


Maybe a dose of 'Don't underestimate the little guy'.

And perhaps, 'Sometimes things get dark before they hit full brightness'.
 
Most of my stories were written for the Earth Day contest, back when there was one, and they all promote a vegan diet. Even the one I wrote for the Halloween contest snuck in a plug for veganism. Call it my trademark.
 
I mostly try to get across that you can do a story with graphic sex in it that would still be a commercial story if the graphic sex wasn't in it.

In my GM stories, I also try to create a world in which being actively gay is a societal norm.
 
My positive characters spell correctly and bathe often. Orthography and sanitation are important.
 
Absolutely none. I have a hard enough time writing something that I think isn't a horrible waste of time and effort to try to fit messages and deeper meaning into my stories.

I consider what I write to be a success if it's in any way marginally better than what I've written in the past. I admire anyone who tries to impart lessons through their fiction. I'd be happy if I eventually get to the point where I'd feel comfortable trying that.
 
'Lesson' is probably not a word that I would use. But I suppose that I would like readers to take away the idea that smut can still be carefully crafted prose, and that every character worthy of the reader's cheers should be able to prepare a restaurant-quality meal and select an appropriate beverage to accompany it. Should there be any doubt, Coke is not an appropriate accompaniment to any meal. :)
 
'Lesson' is probably not a word that I would use. But I suppose that I would like readers to take away the idea that smut can still be carefully crafted prose, and that every character worthy of the reader's cheers should be able to prepare a restaurant-quality meal and select an appropriate beverage to accompany it. Should there be any doubt, Coke is not an appropriate accompaniment to any meal. :)

Unfair. What if you're not an alcohol-drinker... at least for the night? Such harsh judgement.

Frankly, I don't know what I'd do without Coke Zero.
 
Most of my lessons are pretty much common sense but then again, common sense seems to have packed its bag and left town in a lot of places.

Since this is Lit, the first lesson is that it is alright to fuck Mom before you fuck the daughter but good manners says you should invite them both for a play date.

And so on and so forth.... :D
 
If there are any lessons in my writing?

Tolerance and respect for others.
 
If there's any lesson in my stories then I suppose it's about the power of love. I mean, the story I'm writing is named "Love is Enough." How obvious could I be?

Aside from that, I think it's best to let the readers decide if there's a lesson to be learned. I've been surprised in the past by the things they find.
 
Talking about sex is important. And sometimes sex is a way of talking about other stuff.

Science is neat and there should be more of it in erotica.

Sometimes the line between sex and horror is very thin.
 
Accept change and thrive. Laugh harder and Love deeper. Never stop reaching for the sky. You/we can do anything.

I have faith of the heart.
 
I'm not sure if it's a lesson, exactly, but I think my stories here tend to reflect my view that the line between normal and deviant is much blurrier than we believe. Normal is nothing more than a statistical mean. I'm intrigued by how powerfully people cling to ideas of normality, even here at Literotica. My stories usually depict people pushing against societal norms and usually getting away with it, with happy or at least open endings.
 
Lessons? Holy shit, you mean I could have been writing stuff that imparted lessons to my readers.

Actually, I thing I have, everyone hates my loving wives tales. So I think I have taught them the lesson how to hate.

Seriously, I write not to teach, but to titillate. Also, I write what I like to read, if someone else likes it, great.
 
I occasionally impart lessons on photography, music, geography, botany, and sexual geometry. Not much else. Very little on costume design, Hopi rituals, or advanced steam engines. Yet. Behavior lessons? Beyond my pay grade. People gonna do what they think they wanna do. Try to change that, hey? Rotsa ruck.
 
You don't have to be perfect to love and to be loved.
and, loving someone isn't always easy.

I hadn't thought of this, but it has to be at the top of the list now.

Before reading that, it would have been 1) the importance of love, 2) the importance of respect in love and 3) the importance of fun in both love and sex.

Also, same theme as RubenR's last point, successful love takes a lot of work. If it doesn't need work, then it's probably infatuation and that (while fun) rarely lasts. Either it transitions (matures) into love or else you wake up one morning thinking (or the equivalent), "What the hell? And to think I gave him breakfast, too!"

Edit: On reflection, the above are things I find myself including in my stories, but the last thing I am trying to write are moralistic lessons. I aim for refined smut, not parables. YMMV.
 
Last edited:
Unfair. What if you're not an alcohol-drinker... at least for the night? Such harsh judgement.

Frankly, I don't know what I'd do without Coke Zero.

It's either Coke Zero of Bundy and Coke here, irrespective of what I'm eating.

My husband wanted to go to https://www.ariabrisbane.com.au/ so I took him there for a birthday. Bundy & Coke wasn't on their menu so I asked the waitress which rum was most like it. She informed us that it's actually available, just not on the menu. Drinks were ordered. Then she bought us the wine list and told us about matching wines to our meals but we declined. 'Should I just keep the bundy coming?' she asked. Absolutely! And so we had a stupendously expensive, beautifully crafted three course dinner accompanied by rum and cokes.

If they hadn't had anything like bundy, I would have stuck to Coke Zero. I've tried to like wine but it's actually quite disgusting and I have no idea how anyone actually likes it.
 
I try my best to make my male characters sensitive, thoughtful and caring. I think this is as importart now as ever.
 
Back
Top