I am Music

I admire guys who are still, even near my age, playing in bands. Ladies and gentlemen, Raleigh, NC's The Backsliders.

I know. What I'm into right now. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that car is maybe a 1956 De Soto? Cool car, nonetheless.

I admire guys who are still, even near my age, playing in bands. Ladies and gentlemen, Raleigh, NC's The Backsliders.

I know. What I'm into right now. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that car is maybe a 1956 De Soto? Cool car, nonetheless.

I like it. Sound like Byrds, Son Volt, even The Band a little. EE would love it; it's right up his musical alley. Mine too though I was always more a Buffalo Springfield girl (it was the crush on Stephen Stills). Oh. They remind me a little of James McMurtry, too.

I've been listening to music with that New Orleans bounce lately. It's my personal jazzfest (no pop stars invited!), and age sure hasn't slowed down Marcia Ball. Just listen to that barrelhouse piano!

And since it's New Orleans, there's a lagniappe.

I like it. Sound like Byrds, Son Volt, even The Band a little. EE would love it; it's right up his musical alley. Mine too though I was always more a Buffalo Springfield girl (it was the crush on Stephen Stills).
Buffalo Springfield was my favorite band while they existed. I vacillated between loving Stephen Stills and Neil Young. Still do, though much of CSN (minus Y) seems rather vapid to me.

Though I love the Neil cuts on Buffalo Springfield Again, this track was and is probably my favorite.
I've been listening to music with that New Orleans bounce lately. It's my personal jazzfest (no pop stars invited!), and age sure hasn't slowed down Marcia Ball. Just listen to that barrelhouse piano!

And since it's New Orleans, there's a lagniappe.
You know, I do wish we had attended the same college, just so we could trade albums to listen to. (Well, poetry books too, perhaps.)

I do like to listen to what you post. :)

Last edited:
Buffalo Springfield was my favorite band while they existed. I vacillated between loving Stephen Stills and Neil Young. Still do, though much of CSN (minus Y) seems rather vapid to me.

Though I love the Neil cuts on Buffalo Springfield Again, this track was and is probably my favorite.
You know, I do wish we had attended the same college, just so we could trade albums to listen to. (Well, poetry books too, perhaps.)

I do like to listen to what you post. :)

I feel like Bluebird is more of a collaboration between Stills and Young than other Buffalo Springfield songs that come to mind. That middle section that ends with "if you could categorize she's got soul" sounds more like Neil to me...maybe it's just his guitar though. My favorite Springfield song is this one from Last Time Around.

I agree with you about CSN without Y. Stephen's great songwriting is mostly not enough to overcome that lightweight feeling they have without Neil's edginess. And David Crosby has always irritated me lol. Almost Cut My Hair gets on my last nerve. All that sturm und drang over a damn haircut!

I like listening to your music, too. Well maybe not some of the more experimental stuff. Forgive me. :eek: EE would have loved it. What is it with you West Coast fellows? :rose:

Ok back to my Jazzfest party! Two different, but still very New Orleans, artists.

John Boutté

Kermit Ruffins

Lagniappe

Harry`s Wheel Challenge Pie brought to mind Don McLeans classic song American Pie. It`s now my earworm and in the spirit of sharing, I`ll try to spread the infection.

I agree with you about CSN without Y. Stephen's great songwriting is mostly not enough to overcome that lightweight feeling they have without Neil's edginess. And David Crosby has always irritated me lol. Almost Cut My Hair gets on my last nerve. All that sturm und drang over a damn haircut!
My all-time favorite CSNY song: Ohio.

You knew today is the 49th anniversary of the sad event that inspired Neil's song, I bet. I still remember when it happened , just awful.
I was a junior in high school and in class when we learned about it. The class kind of came to a standstill. At some point that afternoon, our student body president went out and lowered the flag to half staff and ended up getting suspended for it.

It's hard to describe what my feelings were at the time to someone who is much younger (or much older, though there aren't many of those people left). It felt like the government was shooting its own citizens if they disagreed with official policies. And it was made worse that at least two of the students killed were just walking to class and were not involved in the demonstration. (As if killing people legally protesting the war was somehow OK.)

Why, I think, I have always loved the line "some anti-constitutional war in Asia" from that Alan Dugan poem I posted a week or so ago.

And "Ohio" is a song that just puts the knife in that other CSNY hit, "Woodstock."

Which is a shame, because it's a good song.

I was a junior in high school and in class when we learned about it. The class kind of came to a standstill. At some point that afternoon, our student body president went out and lowered the flag to half staff and ended up getting suspended for it.

It's hard to describe what my feelings were at the time to someone who is much younger (or much older, though there aren't many of those people left). It felt like the government was shooting its own citizens if they disagreed with official policies. And it was made worse that at least two of the students killed were just walking to class and were not involved in the demonstration. (As if killing people legally protesting the war was somehow OK.)

Why, I think, I have always loved the line "some anti-constitutional war in Asia" from that Alan Dugan poem I posted a week or so ago.

And "Ohio" is a song that just puts the knife in that other CSNY hit, "Woodstock."

Which is a shame, because it's a good song.

I have bittersweet memories of Woodstock. The guy who died there, who was run over while sleeping, went to my high school. His girlfriend was a friend of mine, so I knew him some through her. Ray was a sweet-natured kid, kind of a science nerd but caught up, like we all were, in that zeitgeist. I was working at a dry cleaners (my first job), and I remember Ray and his buddy Gene bringing sleeping bags in to be cleaned. They were so excited about going.

I do love the song though, regardless of the events that seem to disprove its sentiment. Well plenty more has disproved it since then.

But let me finish on a positive note! It's the last day of Jazzfest, so here's some classic second-line music and awesome French Quarter buskers.

Lagniappe

Having recently discovered Bob Dylan - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight I can't stop playing it! :heart::D

Oh you are at the start of a wonderful journey, discovering the joys of Dylan! There are so so many great Dylan songs beyond the ones most people know best.

The first time I ever spoke on the phone to eagleyez, he got his guitar and sang this song to me. Oh that lyric! If I weren't a goner for him already, the combo of hearing his voice and that song for sure did it. :heart:

I assume that means I can still post some jazz things! Like big band things. I like big bands.
Like, well, these.

Love! Here are a few of my faves:

Ellington and company: Cotton Tail featuring Ben Webster on tenor sax.

And two from Count Basie's two iterations of a big band, with different but equally (to my ear) great sounds. And how great are those singers, different but both wow!

Early Basie featuring Jimmy Rushing

Later Basie featuring Joe Williams

I love how all three of these pieces are equally big band and bluesy. ♥️

Oh you are at the start of a wonderful journey, discovering the joys of Dylan! There are so so many great Dylan songs beyond the ones most people know best.

The first time I ever spoke on the phone to eagleyez, he got his guitar and sang this song to me. Oh that lyric! If I weren't a goner for him already, the combo of hearing his voice and that song for sure did it. :heart:

Youtube won't let me listen to your link, so I went looking but I don't think what I found is an original. Dylan has never really been my thing particularly (sorry!) but I just happen to like the one I posted :)

Last edited:
Back