The Official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' Support Thread 2018

It looks like my summer story posts tomorrow but I cut and pasted the phrase into notes...

This happened to another member as well. There may be something in the backend that's not properly showing the notes to Laurel.

Contact her via PM ( you can find her profile easily in the contests sub-forum, where she starts almost all of the threads ) and let her know that your story has a date to go live tomorrow, and shouldn't because it's a contest story.

One is a fluke. Two is probably a serious bug that needs to be jumped on immediately. If she can't see the notes to avoid approving contest stories early, she may not be able to see it to find those stories when the time comes.

It looks like my summer story posts tomorrow but I cut and pasted the phrase into notes...

I'd hoped to finish my Summer Lovin' story over the weekend, but I reconsidered the ending, so completion is delayed. It won't be long, and hopefully, by the time it is ready, the little disturbances in the force will be resolved.

I'd hoped to finish my Summer Lovin' story over the weekend, but I reconsidered the ending, so completion is delayed. It won't be long, and hopefully, by the time it is ready, the little disturbances in the force will be resolved.

Ditto. Except I didn't so much reconsider as just not finish. Going to be a busy little beaver this week working on my two. A skydiving story ("Summer Breeze") and another one I couldn't resist ("Summer Study Schedule").

Ditto. Except I didn't so much reconsider as just not finish. Going to be a busy little beaver this week working on my two. A skydiving story ("Summer Breeze") and another one I couldn't resist ("Summer Study Schedule").

I actually completed mine this weekend, so far just titled “Sweat.”
Unusual to get this far, this early, for me. Just needs a final read through and proofing, and maybe a new title. And to decide between Romance and EC.
I think it’s the one of the better stories I’ve written in a while. I like my contest entries where the theme pervades the story, rather than the theme getting a mere mention.

It's very annoying--the comments are showing up in the Incest Feed but not on the story or my dashboard. I'm getting glimpses of comments but can't read them!

ETA. As soon as I posted this I got two glaring 1-bombs.

Last edited:
Two stories submitted. One Mature and one EV. I'll have to wait and see where Laurel puts them. They both cross a couple of categories.

Plus, I threw in a Veterans story I had finished.

I still have stories in the works so, back to writing.

Two stories submitted. One Mature and one EV. I'll have to wait and see where Laurel puts them. They both cross a couple of categories.

‘A Taste Of Sweat” is submitted, under EC.

Most of my stories cross between categories, and commenters have given me their opinions on where they should be :rolleyes:, but I have never had one re-assigned as something other than how I submitted it.
Is it common?

Most of my stories cross between categories, and commenters have given me their opinions on where they should be :rolleyes:, but I have never had one re-assigned as something other than how I submitted it.
Is it common?

It's happened to me a few times and in all the cases, I think Laurel's placement was the better choice. Once i even ticked the wrong box and she placed it where I meant for it to be. She does a pretty good job for the number of stories she goes through a day.

It's very annoying--the comments are showing up in the Incest Feed but not on the story or my dashboard. I'm getting glimpses of comments but can't read them!

ETA. As soon as I posted this I got two glaring 1-bombs.
Try Works Activity on your dashboard - there's been a change in the feeds, this last week. Comments and Faves show up in the Works Activity now.

Edit: I can see the comments on your story - try clearing your cache, you might have some old code lingering in your RAM.

Last edited:

Is it common?
Occasional. Laurel will sometimes change category, if she thinks it will help the story run better. And you can ask for a category change yourself, if you see you've got it badly wrong.

They're showing up eventually. Taking a long time. Also the Author Favorites Total is not changing.

I've f*cking had it with these 1-bombers.

Try Works Activity on your dashboard - there's been a change in the feeds, this last week. Comments and Faves show up in the Works Activity now.

Edit: I can see the comments on your story - try clearing your cache, you might have some old code lingering in your RAM.

They're showing up eventually. Taking a long time. Also the Author Favorites Total is not changing.

Contests attract them in swarms. You just have sit it out and wait for the sweeps - it's all part of the "game" now, unfortunately. Your numbers will rise above it as time goes on, I've no doubt about that.

The two contest stories now have today's date but still say pending.

Both stories are live and the first vote on each one is a 2. :D

Last edited:

Well, if you've attracted the 1-bombers you know you're (a) in a contest or (b) you've written something in Loving Wives.

I have a bunny, the question is ... Can I write fast and succinctly... probably not but I might give it a try. I have a week right?

I have a bunny, the question is ... Can I write fast and succinctly... probably not but I might give it a try. I have a week right?

I'm sure you have the ability to meet that challenge. May I suggest: have a read through some of the Writer's Challenges; Very Short stories, Dirty in 30, Six Word Stories, Fifty Word Stories With a Twist., Make your reader climax in 200 words or less. Great stuff!

I submitted a very short one last night, and will have another short one submitted today. I'm in the middle of a long one that I don't think will be complete in its original form. I envisioned a story spanning the four long weekends in Tourist Season here. This may become the first chapter of a series I will complete after. I believe I read that doing that, as opposed to posting multiple chapters was ok?

You have until Sept 6 and it's now Aug 22 so actually you have two whole entire weeks. Go for it!

I'm in! Mine goes live tomorrow.

Congrats! Whew-- I'm in too just now, with "The Washing" and some good ol' fashioned summertime water sports. I'm gonna need a break after this one, I think.

I happened to try out that Grammarly tool that was mentioned recently. Not bad, caught a handful of stray spelling errors that I promptly reassured myself I surely would have caught anyway. ;)

My second one goes live tomorrow too. A change of pace from the one already posted. Deception and anguish among rock band members in the Outer Banks. This one was inspired by the charismatic fiddler in the Dave Matthews Band having been caught up in a MeToo movement accusation.

Back