Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always impressed by the amount of people that think just because they saw it in a Facebook meme that it MUST be true. :rolleyes:

Not just facebook. Come to think of it; not all 'social' doings.
Some folks actually believe the politician who's quoted in the Newspaper . . .

How do you know when a politician is lying?

Their lips are moving. :)

Some politicians, when in caught in lies, will go to the length of saying video of them saying the damn lie was actually doctored!!!

Face the facts!! You're a liar, liar, and I hope your pants will soon be on fire!!!! :devil:

Some politicians, when in caught in lies, will go to the length of saying video of them saying the damn lie was actually doctored!!!

Face the facts!! You're a liar, liar, and I hope your pants will soon be on fire!!!! :devil:

What five words do politicians' press secretaries use most?

"What he (or she) really meant was..."

What five words do politicians' press secretaries use most?

"What he (or she) really meant was..."

They should have somebody walk out behind them holding up a sign with a smiley on it to let people know what's a joke and what isn't. Hahaha - it's all a joke!:)

The only problem is then you go to vote and discover the two options are Buffoon or Bozo. :rolleyes:

Recently, I had to interview a former politician. His assessment of what has gone wrong over the past 20 or so years: 'Too many people in public office who don't know what it's like to have a proper job.'

Does being a writer for more that 50 years count as having had a proper job? :)

Recently, I had to interview a former politician. His assessment of what has gone wrong over the past 20 or so years: 'Too many people in public office who don't know what it's like to have a proper job.'

Does being a writer for more that 50 years count as having had a proper job? :)

I allays liked the way a banker friend described his job:

"Being a loan officer is the same thing as being a professional gambler except I never have to use my own money."

I allays liked the way a banker friend described his job:

"Being a loan officer is the same thing as being a professional gambler except I never have to use my own money."

A pal of mine used to manage a yard supplying liquid concrete.
He reckoned it was like playing Monopoly; with other people's money.

A pal of mine used to manage a yard supplying liquid concrete.
He reckoned it was like playing Monopoly; with other people's money.

Even from ancient Rome, there are documents of complaint about contractors using sub-standard concrete in public projects. And now, we're in the process of rebuilding all our bridges and elevated highways. Plus ça change!

Even from ancient Rome, there are documents of complaint about contractors using sub-standard concrete in public projects. And now, we're in the process of rebuilding all our bridges and elevated highways. Plus ça change!

Building standards are at least one area where I favor over-regulation. The Sylmar CA quake, which I witnessed first hand, measured 7.1 and killed 64 people - a few years later, in 1974, a 6.8 earthquake in China killed around 20,000. While other factors are involved, building standards primarily make that difference.

Building standards are at least one area where I favor over-regulation. The Sylmar CA quake, which I witnessed first hand, measured 7.1 and killed 64 people - a few years later, in 1974, a 6.8 earthquake in China killed around 20,000. While other factors are involved, building standards primarily make that difference.

Builders seem to want to work to 'the minimum' standard.
The Heating in my son's first house did not feature heating on the upper floor, on the basis that heat rises. But the radiators on the g round floor did not allow for the larger volume from the upper floor. ("Ah, it's built to the government minium", as if that was an answer).

Builders seem to want to work to 'the minimum' standard.
The Heating in my son's first house did not feature heating on the upper floor, on the basis that heat rises. But the radiators on the g round floor did not allow for the larger volume from the upper floor. ("Ah, it's built to the government minium", as if that was an answer).

When I had central heating installed in my previous large house I had difficulty getting what I wanted. The first company wanted to put a large industrial boiler in the former coal store with a 12 metre stainless steel chimney. I knew I couldn't get planning permission for that because the house was in a conservation area.

Eventually I had a floor-standing boiler downstairs to provide hot water and feed the ground floor radiators, and a wall mounted boiler upstairs for the radiators on that floor.

The commissioning test took place when the outside temperature was about freezing with a strong northerly wind. All the thermostatic valves were set at the maximum. The test was supposed to last for an hour.

After twenty minutes the downstairs temperature was at 33 C (90 F). The bedrooms were at 30 C (85 F). We terminated the test hurriedly, turning all the valves down to the minimum.

For most of the year the upstairs boiler was unused. It operated for about two months in January and February.

Before installing the central heating the house had been heated by six night storage heaters, two wall-mounted electric heaters in the bathrooms, nine open coal fires, a solid fuel AGA cooker that heated the hot water, and two closed solid fuel stoves. The first winter I had shovelled 8 tonnes of coal and coke yet I couldn't keep the bedrooms warmer than 10 C (50 F).

The new central heating systems paid for themselves in three years of use because the gas bill was so low compared to the cost of tonnes of coal.

The first winter I had shovelled 8 tonnes of coal and coke yet I couldn't keep the bedrooms warmer than 10 C (50 F).

The new central heating systems paid for themselves in three years of use because the gas bill was so low compared to the cost of tonnes of coal.

When I was little my grandparents sold their farm and moved to a smaller house that had a coal furnace. I can still remember hearing Grandpa swearing in German as he shoveled and then stop to say: "Life's not fair. I spent 50 years being a farmer just to end up as a coal miner."

When I was little my grandparents sold their farm and moved to a smaller house that had a coal furnace. I can still remember hearing Grandpa swearing in German as he shoveled and then stop to say: "Life's not fair. I spent 50 years being a farmer just to end up as a coal miner."

My Granddad used to mutter something about being a 'bloody coal merchant' as he was cleaning the ash and stuff from the front-room fire in the morning.

My Granddad used to mutter something about being a 'bloody coal merchant' as he was cleaning the ash and stuff from the front-room fire in the morning.

Kind of like the mess that happens when you build a nice fire and go to fix a cup of tea only to discover ten minutes later you forgot to open the flue. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back