Soldier x Soldier - Rescued (Closed to TertiusHuman)

Katherine smiled as he carried her. "Well you do a good job of it." She murmured. Once he left her to dress, she dried off, and pulled on the scrubs and drank her tea. Hearing his knock she made a sound, letting him know he could enter. She eyed the wheelchair with distain, she hated that she needed that thing, but she knew she had no chance at being able to take a tour on her feet. The brunette nodded, "It could've been sweeter. But then, I've been told that instead of having coffee with sugar, I have sugar with coffee. So I imagine the tea was plenty sweet for most people." Katherine had a bit of an addiction to sugar and caffeine. She finished her tea and managed to shakily walk to the wheelchair, sitting down in it. Admittedly she was excited to get out of the hospital for a bit.
 
As she sat down, he folded the robe over the handles, checked that her feet was secured in the foot rests and then placed the cap at a jaunty angle on her head. He looked at her from his kneeling position and gave her a small smile, "Cheer up Lt, one of these days you will be able to walk all on your own."

He gently patted her hand and then got up, taking control of the wheelchair and wheeled her out of the room, actually mimicking a M113 as he did so, chuckling at the resultive stares they got. Then walked to the nursing station where he stated that the two of them are going outside. Signed her out and then continued outside, pausing just outside the door to allow her eyes to adjust and then started walking.

"Just stop me if you want to look at something OK?"
 
Katherine smiled when he put the hat on her head, patting her hand before starting to roll the wheelchair. She settled in, nodding when he told her to tell him if she wanted to stop at all. Snuggling back against the back of the chair, she relaxed, this was much nicer than struggling to walk, even if she wished that she was able to. When they got to the front door, she flinched at the bright light coming from outside. It took her several minutes until she could see clearly. Her shoulders relaxed when she was able to see clearly and soon they were off, exploring the base. It surprised her, just how much she missed all the sights, sounds and even smells of a military base.
 
The tour went on much longer than it should have taken if it was just a normal walk. But he took his time, allowing her to inspect everything as they moved through the base. Most soldiers paused and saluted, all of them staying at a respectful distance. Already Thor could see that "Lucky" was going to become a base favorite and most likely turn out to be the mascot. He wondered how she would take that.

He took her everywhere, when they finally returned to the hospital, it was about three hours later. He figured that she would be a bit tired from all the new stimuli and of course the doctors and nurses would want to know that their charge was safe and rested. He parked the wheelchair down the hall way and helped her to free her feet from the stirrups, motioning towards her room with his head, "Want to give it a go?"
 
Katherine enjoyed herself immensely on the tour. She was shy towards the soldiers that paused to salute, but if they spoke to her, she always responsed. The three hour tour did indeed wear her out, but she didn't mind, she liked exploring and getting to see everything. By the time they returned to the hospital she had her legs tucked up under her and was yawning repeatedly. She even drifted off a bit until the chair came to a stop. Even though she was tired she nodded "Yeah," She wanted to walk back. Standing she automatically rested a hand on his arm to balance herself. Her legs trembled but she kept her footing on the walk back.

"Thank you, I needed that more than I knew." She murmured as she finally made it to her bed. Sliding in she sighed softly, happy to be laying down again. She eyes the nurse with distain as she came in to hook all the cords and IVs to her. "We'll have dinner in, in just a few minutes." Kat nodded "Thank you." She murmured her accents even thicker now when she was tired.
 
He chuckled and took a seat next to the bed, the walk dried out his own clothing. He knew how she felt about the nursing and pampering, but in the end it did help. He leaned back and crossed his legs as he watched the nurse going about her duties and then left.

"I find it curious how your accent seems to thicken when you are tired."

He smiled, "And yes I can tell you're tired. All those little stress and strain lines around your eyes and mouth. All the little things. So what is up with the accent Lt?"
 
She eyes Thor about to deny that she was tired but he pointed out several reasons why she was. Smirking she shrugged when he mentioned her accent. "I was a foster kid in Montana, so I grew up with the accent. And my last foster home, they were Irish. I lived with them for five years or so. I picked up on their accent and on my eighteenth birthday I took their last name. They were the closest to family that I had, they died in a car wreck about 3 years ago now I guess." She explained as she stretched out, feeling the exhaustion kicking in more and more. "Most times I hide it well,It only really comes out when I'm tired or angry, sometimes when I'm sad."
 
He listened and nodded, storing that tidbit of information away. In fact he would have loved to sit there and listen to her talking about her life in Montana. He was sure that it would have been so much more interesting than his own life. In fact he was actually starting to enjoy her company and that was not just because of her wit and charm.

"Well before you decide to close your eyes, you will have to think about eating first. In fact if I am not mistaken, that is the sound of a rubber wheel cart coming this way."

He chuckled at his own little joke.
 
Katherine started to shake her head, she didn't mind missing a meal, but as if on cue, her stomach rumbled. So she sat back up slowly, still eyeballing the man who delivered her food. But he didn't seem to mind as he set her food down. "Brought one for you too Sir," He said, offering a second tray to Thor. Then he left quietly, he never spoke to Kat and he never looked directly at her, something she appreciated, it was easier to deal with her own anxiety about a man's presence when she wasn't forced to interact with him at the same time. Once they were alone again, she eagerly started eating her food. She still ate with far more speed than necessary, hardly pausing to breathe. Of course she was still in the mindset that her food could be taken from her at any moment, even if rationally she knew it wouldn't be, instinct told her to eat before anyone got the chance to take it from her.
 
He thanked the orderly and rested the plate on his lap, Katherine of course attacked her plate with a gusto which was far removed from being hungry. He placed his plate aside and got up. Moving slowly closer he reached out and placed his hands on her own. Stopping the movements and basically forcing her to look up at him, he could see in her eyes exactly what she thought for those few seconds.

"Easy Lt. Nobody's going to take your food from you and I will beat up the first person who even plan to do so. Take it easier, enjoy the food."

He paused and then took away his hands, "OK it is hospital food, but it is a sight better than what I cook. But just try to slow down OK?"

He backed away and took his seat again, picking up his own plate and taking a bite of food, chewing it thoroughly before swallowing it.
 
Kat heard the movement and saw hands reaching towards her plate. Her hands gripped her tray so hard her knuckles turned white. Though in reality due to the state of her fingers it wouldn't be hard to break that grip. Her pale eyes lifted to meet Thor's, showing exactly what she thought would happen, that he would take her food, the distrust that wasn't too different from a wild animal. But she heard his words and chewed her lower lip, nodding "They use to, they'd starve me for days, feed me, then come in halfway through the meal and take it away. I learned to be faster than them." but she did as he requested, slowing down some.

She just smirked faintly. "Compared to what I've eaten this last couple years, this is a five star restaurant." She ate at a pace that was now just slightly faster than normal. The hospital still thankfully was offering foods that could be eaten by hand without the need for silverware. Finishing her food she drank both bottles of water that they had put on her tray they knew now to bring extra water for her. Now after a meal and the tour, she was exhausted. Snuggling back in the bed she curled up for a nap.
 
Thor nodded

"Well it is no more the situation and you will just have to learn to take it easy again. It will take some time, but I will help you all that I can."

He finished his own meal, watched how she finished off her food and water. He was still amazed how she managed to fit all the food and water into that body. But then again she was practically still in survival mode. He got up and removed the plate and bottles, placing them on a the cart standing outside the door and returned to the chair. It looked like she settled in for sleep and he hoped that this time it would go better than the last time.
 
Katherine settled into her bed, tired but nervous to sleep. Her stomach ached from the speed that she'd ate with. She snuggled back into her bed as she tried to relax enough to call asleep. Her eyes sat bed Thor. "Are you staying again?" She asked, a bit surprised. She assumed he had other duties rather than babysitting her. But he seemed perfectly content to stay here with her, while living in the most boring of environment. Dealing with her strange behavior quirks. After a bit she unfurled herself from the tight little ball she had been in, her legs stretched out under the blanket, as she watched Thor with her pale eyes.
 
I stretched out in the chair and gave her a smile, "I'm staying. In fact I will be staying as long as you want me to be around. Top brass' orders, since it seems like we are getting along, they wanted me to help with your reintegration into society."

He shrugged, "And since you are not much trouble, I really don't care."

He looked around, "At least at some stage I will have to sleep, but that will be in the barracks, I'm sure that the nurses would not mind looking after you for a few hours."
 
Katherine smiled, not minding that Thor had been assigned to essentially babysit her. She was just relieved to have a friend that would be sticking around for a while. Snuggling back into her bed, she let herself drift off to sleep. The act of falling asleep was becoming easier, but the nightmares still raged once she was asleep. And tonight was no different. Her body trembled and twitched, she muttered in her sleep as she rolled back and forth, trying to avoid whatever her mind was throwing at her. Luckily the drugs she was on meant that she wasn't lunging and thrashing as much as she normally would be, but still, the drugs didn't dull the nightmares themselves, just dulled her response to them.
 
He watched her fall asleep and on cue, as she slipped into deep sleep, she started twitching and make low moans. Her nightmares were in effect, which actually defied the act of tiring her out to get some sleep. He got up and went to sit on the bed next to her waif-like body. He took one of her deformed hands in his own and he started talking to her. Softly and slowly, allowing her to hear him, without waking her up.

He told her about his childhood, how it was for him growing up, focusing on the positive aspects of his life. He told her about his pets, his graduation, his life in the service. Telling her small little tidbits of funny things he had done, heard of or which had happened to him.
 
At first his voice, his touch only agitated her more, but after a moment she seemed to recognize him. She whimpered softly, wanting help to get away from her nightmares. Even in her sleep she focused on his voice, her body curled towards him, seeming to wrap her body around him as much as possible. Her body settled, her mind seemed to calm as she stopped twitching, stopped moaning. Her hand gripped his as she sighed softly. Seeming content she stilled as she fell into a deeper sleep once more.
 
He sat like that, holding her hand and talking. He finally ran out of words and fell silent. Watching over her, waiting for the nightmares to return. They didn't, but he remained seated on the bed, keeping vigil, making sure that she slept and sleep she did. Every hour or two one of the night nurses checked in, only to be motioned to remain silent. The night came to an end, daybreak edging through the blinds, bathing the room in a semi-orange glow. Of course if you entered from the outside the room, it would still appear dark.
 
Even after Thor fell silent, Kat remained curled around him, finding comfort in his body being close to hers. When she woke the next morning she was mildly embaressed, she'd never been a cuddler before, but it seemed now she was. Stretching she slowly pushed herself up. "Hey" She murmured, tilting her head, she knew he must be on her bed because of her nightmares. "You could've slept too, " She murmurs, feeling a bit bad that he stayed awake all night in order to keep her nightmares at bay.

Before too long the doctor came in to check Kat. The lieutenant sat stiffly, not protesting, but clearly not likely the doctor's hands on her. Finally the doctor spoke. "Well, I am very pleased with how you are recovering. If you promise to get checked out regularly in the next few weeks, I think it would be okay for you to th home." The statement was met with relief and dread. Katherine wanted to go home, but she knew she would be in the spotlight, she survived hell, and people would want to know about it.
 
He slipped from the bed when she woke up, he met her words with a smile, "I will sleep, don't worry about that. Just wanted to see you have a decent night's sleep at least."

He waited on the doctor to finish, even he could see that she had mixed emotions about going home. He waited until the doctor and nurse have left, their breakfast served and as he sat down with the food, he looked at her, "You seem a bit wary of going home Lt."
 
Kat remembered their conversation last night and at breakfast she ate only a bit faster than what could be seemed normal. She still ate an incredible amount of food, but her body needed the extra calories and weight. She'd weighed in at 97 pounds on arrival, she needed close to 20 pounds added to be deemed a ideal weight. She shrugged at his words. "Its going to be hard. I know I'm going to be in the spotlight at least for a bit. I survived hell and people will want to know about it. And I have no interest in sharing my story." She mused softly. "I dont want to relive it every time someone wants to know or someone wants to interview me." She muttered
 
He nodded his understanding of her dilemma, then shrugged, "Well you are an Intelligence officer, just slap Priority Need to Know only on it. I am sure that you would want to tell at least one or two people and once you are cleared for duty, the top brass would like to hear the story to check for things like how often leaders were present and so on. You really don't have to worry about news hounds, I will be there with you."

He opened the bottle of juice and took a swig, " In fact nobody will force you to do anything you do not want to, it is all in your hands. So don't fear going home Lt, I am certain it will be a better experience than you think righ now."
 
Kat smiled at his words, he had several good points. It was a relief to know he would be there. "Will you tell whoever needs telling that I'm cleared to go back home? If it means I'll get out of this hospital, I'll be happy." She mused. She'd want to go to Virginia first, see her brother and sister in law. From there she'd decide if she wanted to stay there or continue on to Montana where Hunter had purchased a little cabin in the forest. That sounded really nice right about now. She stretched her sore body as she sat up more. Admittedly she was excited at the prospect of getting out of here, of seeing her brother, going home. And it was better knowing Thor would be there to help her adjust. At least in the beginning, she didnt know how long he's assigned to her, but she was grateful for it.
 
He nodded, "Can do Lt, I will be back asap."

He got to his feet and left the room, he headed to the nursing station, they handed him the papers and he spent some time hunting down the doctors who had to sign off. He returned to Katherine's room with release papers and a teddy bear. He handed the bear to her, "One of the nurses sends this."

He looked around a slight frown on his brow, "Well since you came here with no clothing, I sure as hell are not taking you out of here dressed in a hospital gown."

He held up a finger and gave her a grin, "Be right back once more."

This time he headed out of the hospital and on to base. After a short trip to the HQ he went to the depot with orders. It took him about half an hour before he returned and placed Army fatigues on her bed. "They may be too big, but you will grow into them and of course they are not the newest Milan, but for now it will just have to do."
 
KAt just smiled faintly as he disappeared, appeared, then disappeared again. she took a drink of her water before getting up to use the restroom. Settling back into her be,d it wasn't long before Thor was back with an outfit for her. "Thanks," She stepped into the bathroom on shaky legs to change. As nervous as she was about going home, she was excited to get out of the hospital. The clothes were in fact big on her, but they stayed up, so it was good enough for her. Stepping back out she set the hospital gown on the bed as she sat down. "Feels good to be out of that gown." she said softly, pale eyes looking over to Thor.
 
Back
Top