His Salvation Her Hope (open)

silvertongue217

Literotica Guru
Joined
May 21, 2014
Posts
6,390
The rain whipped around him pelting his mirror vizor, he paid it no mind to lost in his music as he roared down the highway. The tears that stung his eyes blurred his vision even more and he choked back a ragged sob as he heard the storm crackling above him.

The rider fought with his bike the wind buffeting it and causing it to shiver and tremble. Every bone in his body told him to stop and pull over that it was to dangerous to ride but right now the danger felt good, the danger was the only thing that could take his mind off of the pain tearing a hole in his heart. Images of her rose up in his mind, the sight of her pressed against another man. The sharp smell of the roses he carried as he walked into her house intent on surprising her from deployment.

The rider growled his hands tightening on the throttle. He could still feel the bruises adorning his knuckles. The feeling off the plaster cracking rose up as well as her screams to stop. His other hand was adorned with blood his blood and the blood of his so called best friend. He choked back another sob and leaned down letting his leather jacket flap out as he gunned the engine.

“Come on come on” He growled fighting the storm as rain hit him from all sides and he fought the storm “COME ON!” he shouted his grief pouring out as he shot through the storm. Every thing slowed down for the rider, he felt the wind tugging him back and he tilted his head seeing a grand cathedral like shape light up from the storm.

Then his world went upside down

He was tumbling the world a flash of rain and thunder before he met the pavement. He vaguely saw the sparks of his bike grinding against the pavement before he felt himself tumbling off the road and into the forest.

Then his world went black
 
She... (closed for BFG)

She stood at the front window watching the storm. Rain was pouring down so hard that it bounced back up from the pavement. Every now and then, lightening would flash and she would see the church across the street, dark against the sky as it lit up. There really was nothing to look at, the streetlamps were dim and there was no traffic out. Most people were smart enough to stay home, she thought.

Folding her arms across her chest she sighed. She didn’t like the darkness and she didn’t like storms. Where she came from the sky was bright and it was warm, this dark damp was something she didn’t know if she’d ever get used to. She had only been here for around six months, her first time. She’d never left home before, never tried her wings, so to speak.

She had come to help Sarah, to make sure she was safe – it had been a job that she took seriously and was overjoyed when the assignment was given. But, she had failed. Turning her back to the window and to the darkness, she walked over to an over-stuffed chair and sat down in it, grabbing a small pillow and hugging it to her as she tucked her feet in under her. Putting her head in the pillow, she cried.

She had failed to keep Sarah safe. She didn’t watch her close enough, she hadn’t been prepared. When the truck had careened around the corner of the street, Sarah had been sweeping the sidewalk out front. In a matter of seconds, as she watched from the porch steps, the truck lost control and jumped the curb…taking Sarah away.

She had tried to help Sarah before the doctors came, tried to protect her from the Angel of Death that had crossed the street to fetch her with him. Sarah had simply looked at her and turned to walk away, her eyes were filled with bewilderment. How would she ever face Sarah again, to acknowledge that she hadn’t done enough? She had read in the newspapers that continued to be delivered that the driver and Sarah were both buried on the same day last week.

The reports had already reached home and the calls were being made to return, but she couldn’t. Up until now, she hadn’t bothered answering them at all. Not yet. She would have to tell them how she had failed the very first time she’d been sent.

An unexpected brightness filled the room and the clap of thunder rolled through the sky. Hidden just beneath it was the sound of a motorcycle, but she could hear it, she had heard it coming all along. Getting up, she went back to the window to look and saw the taillights as they slide across the pavement end over end coming to a stop just past the church. Lightening flashed again and she could see that someone was laying there as the rain came down, not moving.

Rushing out the front door and down the steps, she crossed the street and pulled the bike away from the man. He still hadn’t moved. She didn’t even think twice before placing her hands on his body and, knowing there were no broken bones, she picked him up by the shoulders and dragged him across the street and into the house.
 
Last edited:
There was a flash of light

then nothing

He floated out of consciousness vaguely aware that some thing bad must have happened to him that he had been hurt in some way. Flashes of memories kept coming back to him the pain of what he saw, a road drenched and a sky as black as night, a hard turn he might or might not have made. There was no sound or rhythm to it though and instead he continued to float broken.

Then things changed

Warmth spread through him coursing through his veins like wildfire. The confusion and darkness began to give away as did the block on his memories. He tried to move but his limbs refused to budge as if they were disconnected from the rest of his body.

He tried to speak to ask if he was okay (even though he knew he wasnt) but instead what came out was garbled. He was about to try to move again when he felt a warm hand on his shoulder as well as a voice. He couldn't make out what they were saying but it was soft and comforting and relaxed him. He managed to see a flash of the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen.

Then he was gone again
 
The hardest part had been getting him up the steps and into the house. Once there, she took him down the hall and into Sarah’s bedroom in the back of the house. Turning on the light, she went to grab a towel from the bathroom, leaving him lying on the floor. She wanted to dry him before putting him in bed, but his clothes were soaked. Deciding that taking them off was the best way to keep him from catching a chill, she undressed him, dried him with a towel, and worked to get him up in the bed, praying for the strength she needed.

Once, she noticed that he was waking and she spoke to him, urging him to be still and rest. When he lost consciousness again, she left him there to pick up the clothes and toss them into the tub on her way to the kitchen to fix soup and warm tea.

She was walking back into the bedroom with a tray when there was another bright flash of lightening and a clap of thunder and the lights went out. Putting it down on the dresser, she moved to windows in the front of the house to look outside. Every street lamp was dark. It seemed the entire block had lost power.

Before she turned away, she thought she saw a shadow moving near the wrecked motorcycle…she knew inside her that it was the Angel of Death searching for him.
She had gotten to man in the street long before the Angel of Death had come looking, and she had not failed this time. Drawing the curtains closed, she returned to the bedroom.
 
ONE DAY LATER

Conscious blissfully returned to him

It came slowly at first like a fog was lifting. He began to move his body wincing internally as he felt how sore and tired his muscles were. One of his arms were in a splint but a part of him knew it could have been much MUCH worse.

The sun was setting when he finally was able to open his eyes. He opened them slowly trying to get a sense of where he was and who he was with. Some one had tended to him that much he knew some one with a calming voice that seemed to sing in his head even after she left.

He found himself in a room sparsely decorated but clearly a woman's room. He warily pushed himself up with his good hand wincing more as the pain throbbed inside of him.

"Hello?" He finally said his voice cracking from a lack of use. He turned finding a cup of water waiting for him and greedily drained it in one smooth gulp before trying his voice again.

Hello?" He said straining to hear some one in the house.
 
She had spent the morning tending to his needs and making sure he was resting quietly, then she headed outside to clean up the debris from the yard. There wasn’t much, just some small trees limbs and trash that had blown out of someone’s can when it had been knocked over with the wind.

Glancing across the street she saw two men looking at the damage caused by last night’s accident. As soon as the rain had let up, she had gone across the street to get the motorcycle. She had prayed for strength to set it back up on its wheels, and then she pushed it around the back of the house to the garage where it was put safely away.

As she came back in, she heard a faint ‘hello’ coming from the back room. He was awake, finally. She headed back after taking off her work gloves and went over to the side of the bed.

“Well, hello. You gave me quite a fright last night. How are you feeling?” She sat in the chair she had placed beside the bed and waited for him to talk.
 
He watched her come in his eyes widening as he took her in. Who was this girl? He asked himself taking her in, whoever she was she was breath taking with soft features and a warm smile, there was some thing more however... she had a sort of glow about her as if the sun was constantly hitting her or shining down on her.

"uh he siad realizing he was staring as she came in and sat down by his bed side
"I am feeling a lot better thank you..... you surely saved my life"

"I was being stupid" he said looking out the window "and my stupidity almost got me killed I have no doubt I would have if you hadnt been nearby I have no idea how lucky i got to crash next to some one who was clearly a nurse or some thing along those lines..." he trailed off looking down at his hands.

"I can not thank you enough" he said softly
 
She smiled brightly, “Well, it’s fortunate that I was still here. I was watching the storm from the front window and thinking that it was a terrible night to be out, when I saw your accident.” She could have told him that she had heard the sound of his motorcycle in the distance, even with all the rain and thunder drowning out all other noise, but he wouldn’t believe her, and she didn’t want to have to explain how she heard. It was best to leave that alone for the moment.

“The good news is that you are awake now, and though you may be sore for a while, only one arm was injured.” He was looking uncomfortable, so she stood and began fussing over the pillows. “Here let me help you sit up just a little better, and only for a little while. You still need your rest.”

She could here bells tinkling, like the sound of a wind chime, and knew that she would have to take care of the unfinished business she had been avoiding. Going home was out of the question now, not when someone needed her at this moment. There was another opportunity to do a good job here.
 
"Uh you dont need to do all that" he said blushing so unused to having some one take care of him. Before he got home he had been on his own well with his fellow soliders but still alone and his wife... well she had clearly not been interested in being a true wife to him.

The memory brought hte raw hurt back to the surface and he sucked in a pained breath as he tried to breath in steadily. He decided to push it away and instead focused on his benefactor who was fussing over his pillows and generally trying to help him. He was touched... more touched than he could even admit by her thoughtfullness and willingness to help him.

"There is money in my wallet" he said after thanking her for adjusting his pillows "its not much but please take it not that i can come close to repaying you back" He said softly looking at her drinking her in.

"im not putting your and your husband out of sorts am i?" he suddenly asked clearing his throat and looking out the window "Do i need to go?" He asked even though he didnt know where he WOULD go.
 
“First of all, I’m not married and you are not being a bother to anyone. You are injured, the least I can do is care for you to make sure you are okay. Besides, where WOULD you go?” She smiled as she spoke to him. He seemed a bit upset, maybe it was the fact that he has woken in a place that he was unfamiliar with.

“There’s nothing you can do at the moment anyway. I’ve put your motorcycle in the garage in the rear of the house. I’m in no position to tell you the condition of it, however, and I doubt that you are able to ride off into the sunset at the moment. Why not relax? Are you hungry, I can fix you something to eat, if you’d like?”

If she could get to the kitchen, on the other side of the house, she could answer the bell and call home. She had put it off long enough and it needed to be done. This new situation was something she needed to tell them off, also. She couldn’t go home is she had someone else to look after, right?

“I might as well get some soup or a sandwich for you,” she said as she started to turn to leave the room. “By the way, is there anyone that you need to call. Someone who needs to know you’re doing alright?”

What if someone had been looking for him all night? There was no working phone in the house. Since Sarah’s death, everything had been turned off. How would they be able to get a message to them, unless she called home and they relayed the message somehow.
 
He shook his head wincing at the pain her question brought. Was there any one? No after all his girl friend was currently fucking his best mate. Since those were the two people who were supposed to care about him the most he didnt have any one else to call. He would need to contact his CO the man who was over seeing his exit from the navy but since he was currently on leave that could wait.

"I dont have any one who needs to be contacted" He said softly looking around "this house is amazing" He said clearly wanting to change the subject.

"I have always wanted to live in an old house like this" He murmured before looking back at her "If its not to much of a bother I would love some soup" He said flashing her a charming smile as he watched her.

"any chance I can join you?" He asked shifting "I am not a big fan of being in one place for to long" He said gesturing at the bed.
 
She looked at him and hoped that he didn’t see the disappointment on her face. Calling home would simply have to wait, but she hoped that they didn’t send someone looking for her because she hadn’t checked in.

“Of course, you can. Your clothing is over in the chair beside the window; what’s left of it anyway.” She pointed a finger to the window that looked out over the back yard, the blind was half-way up allowing sunlight into the room. Since the back yard was large, and the fence around it was at least six feet tall, she wasn’t worried about any of the neighbors seeing someone in the house.

“There’s a bathroom just down the hall on your left, and the kitchen will be easy to find. That will be where I’m making all the noise,” she laughed a bit and smiled. Helping him sit up on the side of the bed, she tried not to look at his muscular chest or legs that were now out from under the covers. “Take your time and call me if you need help with anything.” She said to him as she left him alone to dress. Hopefully, it would take him long enough to dress that she could answer that bell!

***

In the middle of the kitchen she whispered, “Hello? Michael? Is anyone there?”

“Angelika, where have you been? What’s going on there? We know that Sarah isn’t there because she’s standing right here, and has been for days! Why aren’t you here with her?” Michael questioned her without anger. He was curious more than anything to find out what and why she hadn’t brought Sarah here herself a week or more ago.

“I failed her. I failed in my mission and I needed time to think. But, Michael, there’s been something else that has come up!” She told him all about the motorcycle accident and about her patient, and she did so quickly hoping she wouldn’t get caught.

Michael listened and then told her, “Angelika, are you saying you want to stay there and take charge of him? Do you think you can do a better job this time?”

Ouch that hurt, but she knew he was right. She would be to be more diligent with this one, he seemed to be the kind that was a little bit reckless. “I will do my job well this time. I must go before I’m caught talking to you.”

All in all, it only took a few seconds to make the call, and thankfully the stupid bell ceased to ring. Humming a little song, she set about heating some soup that she’d found in the pantry. She had no idea what she would do when all the food had been used up that Sarah had stored up.
 
He watched her go shaking his head and once again marveling at both his luck and the woman he seemed to have almost literally crashed into. He would surely have died or went into a coma without her help and the fact that she was still helping him a stranger spoke volumes about her character.

"If only I could have met you sooner" The man murmured shaking his head and pushing the sheets off. He didnt bother dwelling on the past and his wife instead he pushed himself to the edge of the bed and slowly got up. His entire body throbbed and hurt in response causing him to suck in a breath and wince as he struggled to fight his bodies urge to drop back down. Pushing the pain aside the man hobbled over to the clothing she had indicated and took stock. The shirt was in tatters and ruined yet it looks like the leather chaps he had worn prevented his jeans from suffering the same fate. He pulled them on over his simple black boxers and secured them before he disregarded the shirt and made his way to the steps.

He was about to step down when he paused hearing a hushed conversation floating up from down stairs. Was she on the phone with some one? He decided not to eavesdrop on her and instead made his way down loudly so as to announce his presence.

"I hope its not to much trouble" He said coming in and leaning against the door frame "and I realized we have not been introduced yet my name is John John Smith" He said holding out his hand and offering her a weak smile "and yes I know its the most plain name in existence" he joked.
 
She had turned as soon as she heard him enter the kitchen, her eyes growing wide at the sight of his bare chest. Although she had been tending to him, had undressed him even before putting him to bed, the covers had been drawn up around him and she had not noticed too much. Even when she had helped him sit up on the side of the bed, she had turned quickly away to show him where to find his clothes. Right now, she was staring at him as if she had never seen a man before, let alone a half-naked one.

Setting the spoon down that she had been using to stir the soup, she took his hand and smiled, “Hi, John. I wish we had met under other circumstances. My name is Angelika.” Glancing quickly away to think, she then grinned at him “Angelika Michaels.”

“I had some soup in the pantry, I hope you don’t mind, but that’s all I could find.” She was hoping that he would notice how bare things were in the kitchen pantry or that there was nothing in the refrigerator. Since it was just herself, she had needed much to eat. With Sarah gone and no money, she hadn’t left the house. She had no idea how long John would be staying, but since he was up and around now, he might be on his way sooner rather than later, anyway.

“Why don’t you have a seat, and I’ll get us some bowls.” She said as she rummaged around in the cupboards.
 
"The pleasure is all mine Angelika" He said blushing a bit at the way she had starred at his chest. He cleared his throat feeling nervous and excite like he hadnt felt in a lone time.

"Sorry about the lack of a shirt" He said as she began to rummage for some bowls "Mine was pretty much in tatters after the nasty fall I took" He said trying to downplay it even as his heart quickened at the memory. He shook his head deciding to focus on her and the room and sliding down to sit. He watched her work admiring her much the way she had admired him when he first came in.

"I cant tell you again how grateful I am for all you have done" He said once more taking hte bowl of soup from her hands their fingers slightly brushing "I have no doubt I would not be here if it had not been by your hand" He said his eyes locking with hers bright green and full of thanks and some thing more......
 
“It was my pleasure to help you. I couldn’t leave you out there in a storm, first of all. And having you around has kept me busy and given me something other than myself to think of.”

She noticed how he paused when he looked at her and she blushed. There had never been a time when she had been so close to a man. The first contact she had ever had with one had been when she found him and brought him into Sarah’s home, even then, she tended to think of him as someone who needed help, not someone who was ‘male’. She stopped this train of thought. There was nothing that could ever come of it anyway.

Sitting at the table with him, she began to eat. At first, no one said a word, and it was a bit awkward. Suddenly, she put her spoon down and asked him the question that had been on her mind since she saw him, “John, what in the world were you doing out in storm on a motorcycle? Why were you driving so fast?”

~~

“Amy, put that file for Sarah on my desk before you go to lunch. There are some things I need to look over before I head out there this afternoon. I want to get those signs up for an open house. The quicker we sell it, the quicker we can get this thing through probate.”

Adam Candler had been contacted by the court earlier in the week, they wanted him to sell the house that Sarah Rushmore owned at her death. He had worked up an online ad that other realtors in the state had access to, and he planned to push it quickly, but first he needed to get some pictures. The open house was scheduled for Sunday when most people had time off to look at buying. If everything went well, this deal could be finished within a week or two.

He reached down into the bottom drawer and pulled out his digital camera. First things first. Get some lunch and head out to the house.
 
He froze at her question is happy smile replaced by a sad frown as he put his spoon down. He sighed reaching over and taking a long gulp of his water before he leaned back and regarded her.

"I am in the navy" He finally said clearing his throat "I just got back from deployment Iraq I was going home to surprise my wife as I had not told her yet that I was back I uh I found her in the house with my best friend who was supposed to be watching over her as it turns out they had been having an affair the entire time and making me the fool.... I hit my friend and threw my ring at her but was so caught up in my grief I just wanted to ride.... maybe even get hurt I am not sure"

"I dont know where to go next" He admitted shaking his head "I am set to get out soon and was hoping to have a life with some one... Though now I find out the woman I thought loved me has been with some one behind my back..... I am lost I guess is what you might say" He said cracking a tired smile at her.
 
Angelika reached across the table, her hand covering his as she spoke, “I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been hurt.” Not that she knew what that felt like, she’d never been in love. “It’s so hard when your hopes are up, only to find that…”

She was at a loss for words. She couldn’t explain what she wanted to say without having to tell him who she was, and there was no way she could do that. It would ruin everything, and she would be forced to go home, not to mention what he would think, what he would do. Neither one of them had a place to return to, the way she saw it, why bother telling him something he didn’t need to know? Anyway, that was how it was supposed to be…he wasn’t even supposed to see her!

Neither one had heard a car pull into the driveway, but they did hear footsteps on the front porch and both turned their heads in that direction. There was a jiggling of the door knob, and then the footsteps retreated. Whoever it was had left.
Standing, she went to the front and peeked out the front curtain. She saw a car in the drive, and a man who was getting something out of the trunk. When he brought it to the middle of the lawn and set it in place with a few knocks of a hammer, she tried to see what it said, but couldn’t read it from this distance.

~~
Adam stepped back and looked at the sign to make sure it was straight, then he walked back to his dark blue Chevy Malibu and threw the hammer in the trunk. Angry that he had forgotten the keys to the house, he tried to make the best of things now; he could always come back later and get pictures of the inside. He’d need to know what it looked like anyway, to know what they were going to be working with at the Open House.

Grabbing the camera, he stepped to the middle of the road to take a picture of the front of the house. Through the lens he thought he saw a movement at the front window, but when he moved the camera away and looked, he saw nothing. Just his imagination, he thought. Might as well get the back and the garage while I’m here.

When he had finished taking the pictures, he decided to try the door of the garage, it didn’t look like it was locked and he knew from experience, people would want to see what was in there. He hoped it wasn’t junk from a lifetime of saving odds and ends.

As the door came up, he saw that it was dark and empty except for a motorcycle, which surprised him. What was she doing with a beat up motorcycle, he kicked a tire. Looked like it had been in an accident, not a big on, but enough. Shrugging his shoulders, he decided to leave it as it was for now. He’d come back later and finish up.

Walking back down the drive, he had no idea that two people inside the house had been watching his every move.

~~
Angelika turned to John, her face pale. “What do you think that was all about? Who is he?”
 
John was about to say some thing to break the awkward silence that had seemed to creep up into the room when he was saved by the crunch of gravel outside. He watched as her expression went from one of concern for him to one of fear and worry. She all but rushed over to the window and he joined her wincing at his leg as they both walked over to see what was happening outside.

He watched his expression turning into confusion as the man who was clearly a realtor put a for sale sign up and take some pictures of the house. The woman showed no signs of having known about this but how was that possible? Surely a realtor would not be selling her house without her permission?

Unless it wasnt her house

He turned eyeing her warily

"Thats a realtor coming to take pictures of the house to sell it" He said leaning back in caution "is this your house? Or are we sqauting in it? Whats going on here? You can tell me let me help you like you helped me" He said trying to be kind over angry or even mean. This woman whoever she was and whatever her story was had brought him back to life and he would not be mean to her because of that.

Even if he was confused beyond belief.
 
She looked at John as he told her that the house was going up for sale, her eyes wide and her hands clasped together to keep them from shaking. What he said made sense. Of course, with Sarah’s death, things wouldn’t just remain. But, she hadn’t thought of this and she wasn’t prepared to leave.

If she told him her story, would he believe her? Would he think she was crazy and leave? It wasn’t like before, when Sarah had no idea who she was, had not even known she was there because she couldn’t see her. But, John could. She hadn’t bothered to make sure that he couldn’t, because he needed tending with his injuries.

Turning away, she walked over to the chair in the corner of the room and sat down on the edge, her hands folded in her lap. How much should she say? she thought before taking a deep breath and beginning her story.

“I was visiting Sarah when she was in an accident a week ago. I’ve been staying here ever since. Alone, and no-one knows that I’m here. Until now, no-one has been to the house. I’m not exactly ‘squatting’ as you say, but I’m not exactly here with anyone’s knowledge – except for Michael’s. He knows I’m here. I was supposed to go home, but I was afraid, then you had the accident, and I couldn’t just leave you, could I?”

It came out in a rush, as if she were afraid that if she slowed down, she might stop and never continue. Angelika closed her eyes and took another deep breath, and continued.

“I have nowhere else to go but home, and I don’t want to do that until I have achieved something.” Opening her eyes, she looked directly at him, whispering, “I was her guardian angel.”
 
John watched her sit down acting as if she was debating sharing a heavy weight with him. He sent her a kind smile back and sat down himself leaning in and taking her hand to show her and lend her some of the strength she had given him.

And then she began to tell her story

John leaned back in disbelief, at first her story had been normal even believable but now here she was sitting across from him, telling him that she was a guardian angel.

And he some how knew she meant that quite literally

He didnt know what to make of it, didnt know whether to call her a lair or get her committed. Crazy enough John could believe her simply because she had said it with the air and voice of some one who was very very sure.

"Its a lot to take in" John finally said shaking his head "can you not leave this house? I mean this sale is happening whether you like it or not" He said gesturing at the for sale sign hanging in the yard.
 
She watched as the shock came across his face as she uttered her words. Then came the disbelief, followed by incredulity… and, finally, some sort of acceptance. Through it all, he never once let go of her hand, as if he was giving her comfort instead of her giving it to him. Who was the angel here? She thought just before she heard his question.

Although he spoke quietly, his words rang in her ears. It was an idea that she quickly dismissed in her mind before she began to explain to him.

“I was sent here to this house to take care of Sarah, and I could go wherever Sarah went.” Pausing, Angelika thought of how to put it to him in a way he could understand. “I stayed here without permission when she died. And, now, I’ve taken on the job of protecting you.”

She leaned forward and looked him in the eye and smiled, “I can go anywhere that you take me, but where would we go? Do you have a home or somewhere nearby that we could go while people come here and look through closets and under beds, and eventually buy the house?”

Angelika’s voice had started to raise the more she spoke of other’s coming here. She wasn’t afraid that they would see her, she could fix that quickly… what she was afraid of was having to stay here with them, or return to Heaven, neither of which made her happy.

And, what would become of John? Clearly he had something terrible going on and needed her support.

Right?
 
Last edited:
John leaned back sighing and trying to figure out how best to answer her. He was technically homeless. The house on base was his but he didnt really want to go back since he knew what was going on there. Word of him having came back early had probably reached them both know as well which meant they were looking for him.

John looked around and seeing the house came to a spur of the moment decision.

"How about I buy the house?" John finally said looking at her "I need a new place to live any ways...... I mean its not what I was expecting to do but you saved my life I owe you and I need a new place to live anyways"

"Its not a bad place" John said looking up and around "I could see living here.... Of course its going to take some doing to get it but.... I can afford it if your interested"
 
She sat there looking at him, her eyes wide with surprise. This had never even crossed her mind, but she couldn’t help but think this might be the answer to the problem. If he purchased the house, she wouldn’t have to go anywhere.

“John. Are you sure this is something you’d want to do? I mean, buying a house is a big step, and I feel like you’re basically doing it for me. I don’t want you to regret this one day. I don’t want you to think that you have to do it, you know?”

There was no way she would allow him to do it unless he was totally sure. Walking over to him, she laid her hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eye. Other than tending to his needs when he was unconscious, this was the first time she had touched him. He felt solid beneath her hand and stirred something unfamiliar within her.

Quickly, she pulled her hand away and stepped back. “If you bought the house and stayed here, I would be eternally grateful.”
 
Back
Top