Bitching about Boston

Governor Baker message

(No school! Snow Day!)


Please, stay off the roads tomorrow unless absolutely necessary​




Tomorrow’s weather will create hazardous driving conditions across much of the Commonwealth. To prioritize public safety, we are asking everyone to stay off the roads and to use public transportation if necessary so road crews can safely clear snow,” said Baker.


Baker also announced that state offices will be closed for all non-emergency, executive branch state employees on Thursday.


"In advance of tomorrow’s severe winter weather event, the MBTA has announced its service schedule for Thursday, January 4.

"According to the National Weather Service, approximately 8 to 12 inches of snow are expected across the MBTA system tomorrow with sustained winds of 35 mph and more and gusts as high as 65 mph in some areas.

"In advance of tomorrow’s severe winter weather event, the MBTA has announced its service schedule for Thursday, January 4.

"According to the National Weather Service, approximately 8 to 12 inches of snow are expected across the MBTA system tomorrow with sustained winds of 35 mph and more and gusts as high as 65 mph in some areas.

Regular bus service will operate, though delays may occur and bus routes that have “Snow Routes” will operate on their designated Snow Route. To find a list of buses with Snow Routes, customers are urged to visit www.mbta.com/winter where these routes are listed.

*laughing, bitterly*


"Customers are also encouraged to use caution on icy platforms and bus stops and to stay safe in frigid air temperatures."

more at the link

http://www.wcvb.com/article/soldier...witness-daughter-s-birth-in-monterey/14535763
 
yikes

The offshore snow tornado dumped a harbor master into a harbor. Lucky for him, a strong, burly man had the strength to pull him out. Characters in movie films choose to go off on their own, into situations that call for the buddy-system. Not people in responsible positions, in real flesh life.

:rolleyes:
 
It may be frozen, now. But, once it starts thawing out on Monday, the melt water will flow into anything available.

Maybe, I will stick to fruit juice...
 
Two week deep freeze in Boston, is over. Now, back to normal freezing.

:D


Is that what living in Alaska is like ?
 
700 cars had to be towed, during the last snow blast. Scofflaws parked where they wanted, and fuck snow plows.

:rolleyes:

Slippery, messy commute, ahead. yuck

No school, for many.

Slush Day!
 
Massholes Super Bowl sendoff-


We have a large amount of New England Pats fans. A good sized fan base at Gillette. Some of them will be flying out to the Land of the Enormous Mall.

(I did not know that The Mall had hotels. Why have they set up a "West Side Story" situation ? Will they have a Jets and Sharks moment ?Both teams are staying in hotels at The Mall of America.)

Dear Pats fans-
Please wear helmets, hockey armor, and bring battery operated, heated everything ? Pats fans are hardy. Tailgate parties with heat blowers and fire pits, when it is below freezing point.Sitting in the stands, covered in snow drifts.


Flying beer cans, across the nation

Opinion, from Lebanon, New Hampshire


Patriots-Eagles is more than a 2005 Super Bowl rematch. It sticks two of the more maligned — and misunderstood — fan bases in the NFL within striking distance of each other at US Bank Stadium.


It's time to line ’em up — the Santa Snowball Hurlers vs. the Deflategate Truthers in a fight for the checkered flag of most obnoxious fans. But certainly not the most violent.

Patriots fans invoke a different kind of hate.

NFL fans from Kansas City to Jacksonville are just sick — or jealous — of the Patriots going to the Super Bowl and watching New England celebrate on duck boats and parade routes. Patriots fans are often called entitled or nauseating for their Super Bowl gloating.

"There are New England teens who believe Super Bowl appearances are as much a given right as lobster rolls and clam chowder."

gsgs comment- Every other year, New England watches the duck boat parade, and the trophy run. The children born during this run of good luck, will soon be adults. It is selfish of Boston to hog the trophy. But, they represent the nail that refuses to lay down, that is Massachusetts. (No matter how many times they deny it.)

The Boston Red Sox had the curse for what seems like a hundred years.


Pluck up, Eagles! You never know, when something may happen, that you do not expect.

/end gsgs sports ramble



http://www.vnews.com/Fans-Behaving-Badly-Pats-Eagles-bring-out-worst-in-fans-15060458
 
Ah, the pleasures of living at the location of transition.
Hovering around the freezing point cultivates consequences.


A slippery commute. School delay announcements.


We have enough film footage of sliding school busses.
 
‘Three days of hell’ —
Scars of Blizzard of ’78 linger, 40 years later

February 2, 2018


Snow began falling in the region on the morning of Monday, Feb. 6, 1978, following winter storm and heavy snow watches issued a day earlier, according to the National Weather Service. Precipitation rates reached 2 inches per hour by midday on Monday.


When the snow relented some 32 hours later, 99 lives were lost in New England, including 73 in Massachusetts, the weather service said. More than 27 inches of snow were recorded in Boston, and totals in parts of the region reached 38 inches. One area in Lincoln, R.I., recorded 55 inches.



When the storm rolled into the eastern part of the state, people left work early in the hopes of getting home safely. But about 3,500 vehicles became stuck in snowdrifts along Route 128, and 14 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning as they huddled for warmth in their cars.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2018/02...ht-blizzard/fYA7dYGuGVQIgjly8R2GCP/story.html
 
Tonight's "Chronicle" on Ch 5

Harvey Leonard and Dick Albert called the blizzard, because they estimated that it would be a big storm. They did not know it would be a monster.

The storm dropped more than 27 inches of snow on Boston over 32 hours and 40 minutes, between Feb. 5 and 7.

The tide broke the 1921 record. It washed away houses, seawalls, cars,trucks, boats, yachts.

Bill Brett, Boston Globe photographer, speaks about a helicopter ride that almost ended badly, during the storm. Pilot said they were going down. (The wind was blowing fiercely, the snow was coming down thick and fast) They bounced! (A bunch of times.)Landed awkwardly at the police facilities in the Blue Hills.

whew
 
The major networks were pounding the drums for the Minnesota Super Bowl, relentlessly, this week. A strange emotional quality crept into the hometown announcements, last week.

I consciously avoided anything to do with the game, on game day.


I was not sure of what I was looking at, but there was something about it, as a whole, that warned me off.


Something was missing-


bonhomie
 
Weather-wise, all is calm, at the moment. Behind the scenes, it is a frantic, disturbed anthill. Winter Storm Liam is gunning for Massachusetts. Schools have decided that the expected road conditions are perfect for school bus sliding.

School is out early! (For the designated schools. Some MA schools have decided to call a snow day.)

Slipping and sliding are predicted. Mixed bag. Who is directly in the center of the bulls eye target ?

My old ice cleats do not fit my boots.

:(
 
Once, again, I am left to ponder-What is it, that I am looking at ?

The Boston Herald leaned to the Right, but it raised good questions. Later, became a Trump cheerleader, and went bankrupt. It has been sold. It was in a tabloid form, but it was not considered a disreputable tabloid, as Rupert Murdock's tabloids were.

My question- Have the new owners decided to take the Herald on a tabloid route ? I doubt that Ron Borges would have agreed to purposely lead the public to believe a false story. But, this story certainly generated much discussion, and attracted attention.

Oooo! Sports Illustrated took up the tale.

:rolleyes:

"Borges’ column has been suspended pending further review.”

A sharp finger-point from Sports Illustrated takes a stab-

Borges was suspended from his job at the Boston Globe in 2007 after being caught plagiarizing material from a Seattle-area newspaper. He was later hired by the Herald.


https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/02/09/ron-borges-boston-herald-tom-brady-catfish-don-yee




We are expected to accept the premise, that Borges did not bother to vette his source, or double check the story, before it was splashed onto the front page of the Boston Herald

Ron Borges lied, said he had multiple sources.

The Herald took the story off of its website around 7:30 a.m. on Friday, but it was featured on the front and back cover of the latest printed edition of the newspaper

The Herald issued an apology to Brady, the Patriots and their readers on Friday afternoon.


Ron Borges bought into a story that smeared Tom Brady, Tom Brady's honor, and character.

The Boston Herald’s Ron Borges wrote a story on Thursday night that, citing sources, quarterback Tom Brady was ready to sit out all of this offseason’s OTAs unless he got a contract close to the one Jimmy Garoppolo signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.

It was a hoax perpetuated by a troll. When the troll was asked why he impersonated Don Yee (Tom Brady's agent) and caused so much trouble for Ron Borges, the troll said he did it because he could. He did not know Ron Borges, did not care about Ron Borges.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/ron-borges-prankster-says-hoax-was-easy-to-pull-off/


WEEI caller “Nick in Boston” said on the air this morning that he saw Borges’ phone number on Twitter and texted him with a message claiming to be Don Yee, the agent for both Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo. Borges followed that up with a phone call and never doubted that he was talking to Yee rather than a prankster.



Here's the text message exchange between “Nick in Boston” and Borges that led to the false reporting, per the “Kirk & Callahan” Twitter account:



https://nesn.com/2018/02/these-text-messages-tricked-reporter-into-false-tom-brady-contract-story/

Not only did a source tell NESN.com’s Doug Kyed that the story is not true, but a radio caller identifying himself as “Nick in Boston” also revealed Friday morning on WEEI’s “Kirk & Callahan” that he pretended to be Brady’s agent, Don Yee, in a text message exchange with the Herald’s Ron Borges.



"A source told Kyed to “trust your instincts,” which is good advice, unless you have Borges’ instincts, in which case you probably should do a little more research."


http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/02/...oldout-borges-story-debunked-jimmy-garoppolo/
 

Epic U.S. Energy Boom Bypasses New England: Region Bailed Out By Russian LNG
Regs, lack of natural gas pipelines make situation dire
by Mark J. Perry




...To save New England from freezing in the dark this winter, a shipment of high-priced liquefied natural gas, or LNG, had to be imported from the Russian Arctic and unloaded at a terminal in Boston Harbor in late January for use in home-heating and electricity production.

Not long ago, the idea of New England relying on Russian heating fuel shipped halfway around the world would have been laughed right off Boylston Street. The U.S. is, after all, now the world’s largest natural gas producer. But the fuel situation in New England is ominous. New England desperately needs more natural gas, which in part explains why the region has the highest natural gas prices in the country outside of Alaska and Hawaii. In fact, gas prices were the most expensive in the world during the January deep freeze. But the shipment of Russian LNG, despite international sanctions against Russia and an abundance of U.S. natural gas, has raised a number of questions that cry out for an answer...

...Although America is a global energy superpower and the United States has been the world’s top producer of natural gas since 2009, New England relies on imported LNG from faraway countries for about 20 percent of its natural gas. And as for propane, another heating fuel, New England would have been left in the cold had it not been for recent tanker shipments from overseas.

This is what happens when you don’t build your own natural gas pipelines, which are the safest and most economical way to transport energy. The trouble is there isn’t enough pipeline capacity to bring in natural gas from the Marcellus shale in Pennsylvania to New England in times of high demand. Even as America’s natural gas production has soared, the pipeline capacity to get it to where it’s needed hasn’t kept up. The problem: political obstacles driven by environmental groups.

In the past two years, regulatory obstacles have led to the cancellation of two pipeline projects, which is ominous for a region that desperately needs more natural gas to make up for the shutdown of nuclear and coal plants. Moreover, there are those in the region who promote themselves as climate leaders but continually block new gas pipeline capacity...




more...




 
Last edited:
What will happen to the people that work for the Boston Herald newspaper ?


Aggressive Cost Cutter Buys An Already Diminished Boston Herald


February 14, 2018


Digital First, based in Denver, won the Herald sweepstakes on Tuesday by outbidding two rivals. When the Herald’s soon-to-be-former owner, Pat Purcell, took the Herald into bankruptcy in December, he said the paper would be acquired by GateHouse Media, another chain controlled by a hedge fund. But Digital First, a late entry, bid a reported $11.9 million, outdistancing GateHouse’s $4.5 million and a lesser-known contender, Revolution Capital Group.

The Herald is currently printed by The Boston Globe, but GateHouse has considerable press capacity of its own. Finally, GateHouse officials appeared to have a plan, and had been talking with people both inside and outside the Herald for weeks. (Disclosure: including me.)

By contrast, Digital First’s intentions are a mystery. But recent news about the company has not been good. The company recently eliminated the editor’s job at the Sentinel & Enterprise of Fitchburg, one of its two dailies in Massachusetts, and is now running the paper out of its other daily, The Sun of Lowell. Even more ominous, the Sentinel is getting rid of its newsroom, with journalists being told to work out of their homes. As a friend put it upon hearing the news that Digital First will soon own the Herald: “How long before the newsroom is relocated to a nearby Starbucks with free WiFi?”

Last fall I wrote about an investigation by The Nation into the hedge funds that own newspapers. Among other things, we learned from reporter Julie Reynolds that Randall Smith, the tycoon who controls Digital First, had purchased 16 mansions in Palm Beach, Florida, for $57 million, which he had amassed by “purchasing and then destroying newspapers.”

https://news.wgbh.org/2018/02/14/aggressive-cost-cutter-buys-already-diminished-boston-herald
 
Boston Winterfest 2018, and it was 70f.

Good day for a protest, too.

If you have to wait for a bus, it is a good temp for the long wait. The Red Line has HS and K stop, but not much more. Government Center ate up much munnies. So did the track snow movers.
 
What is bombogenesis?


Bombogenesis is a popular term that describes a midlatitude cyclone that rapidly intensifies.



Bombogenesis, a popular term used by meteorologists, occurs when a midlatitude cyclone rapidly intensifies, dropping at least 24 millibars over 24 hours. A millibar measures atmospheric pressure. This can happen when a cold air mass collides with a warm air mass, such as air over warm ocean waters. The formation of this rapidly strengthening weather system is a process called bombogenesis
which creates what is known as a bomb cyclone.


More Information
National Weather Service Ocean Prediction Center
NOAA Environmental Visualization Laboratory

Last updated: 01/04/18
Author: NOAA
 
It is raining inside the Aquarium T stop. They closed it. The harbors are experiencing a hurricaine-force wind driven tide.

Do not drive into the gigantic puddles on what used to be the road, next to the ocean.(The tow truck business loves flooded, stalled, over-confident truck drivers.)


Hurricaine, cyclone, whatever. Gust was recorded at 77mph.Boston is sharing the fun of having high winds and floods, with our South Coast neighbors. One thing they do not have with hurricaine season is snow. "Pasty, heavy wet snow." Flying wet concrete ?

Everything is wet. The snow will stick. Who would have guessed, that Worcester would get the worst part of the bargain ?

1954

Hurricaine Carol's storm surge caused massive flooding, with the Somerset and New Bedford areas receiving the worst of it in Massachusetts. New Bedford's storm surge was over 14 feet. Rainfall of 2 to 5 inches spread across the region, and peaked in north central Massachusetts at 6 inches. Throughout New England, 4,000 homes, 3,500 cars, and 3,000 boats succumbed to Carol, and most of eastern Massachusetts lost phone service and power.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/the-worst-massachusetts-hurricanes-of-the-20th-century
 
We are better equipped, for this year's storms. National guard was welcomed, while evacuating people and pets.


The storm that’s bringing near-record flooding to Boston and heavy rain and snow from the Mid-Atlantic to the Northeast has also been an aviation nightmare. Flights have been canceled and delayed across the U.S. Passengers aboard a Canadair Regional Jet (a CRJ2 for my aviationheads) landing in Dulles probably wished their flight had been canceled, too.

https://earther.com/report-pretty-much-every-one-threw-up-on-a-flight-th-1823463317

Those on the dartboard that were targeted had hurricaine force winds. Waves high enough to put cars under water. Waist high water in the street.


By the time the midnight high tide hits, more than 500,000 people will be without power.
 
Twenty foot high waves, offshore. The system sits and spins. The snow melted. Once again, the wind carries branches from a distance.
 
Do you miss WBCN ?

Wednesday, March 14 2018

CHARLES LAQUIDARA'S `DAZE IN THE LIFE` - MEMORIES, MUSIC & MISHEGAS

​PARADISE ROCK CLUB


"sneak preview of Charles Laquidara's multimedia memoir"


WBCN in 1969, he was 30 years old.

Now pushing 80, Laquidara — the stream-of-consciousness Milford native who became one of the most influential disc jockeys in the history of radio — has been “retired” for nearly 20 years, living large in his adopted home on the island of Maui. He returns to Boston for a sneak peek at “Daze in the Life,” his new “multimedia memoir,” at the Paradise on Wednesday.


https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mu...gas-and-all/0o7OUWoHegs5rZrG08H23H/story.html
 
Good gracious! Cape Cod is getting smacked, again.

"blizzard"


“It feels like we haven’t seen this type of storm since 2015,” Mayor Marty Walsh said. “It seems like this one is going to be a big one."

“We’re asking people to stay off the roads,” Walsh said. “If you have to travel, please take public transportation."

https://whdh.com/news/boston-declar...tuesday-schools-closed-parking-ban-in-effect/


At some point we will get three inches per hour, and the wind will be driving it.


This Latest Nor'easter Could Bring 18 Inches Of Snow To Boston


Starting at 11 p.m. Monday, a blizzard warning goes into effect for parts of the state's coastline


A winter storm warning is in effect from 11 p.m. Monday to 8 p.m. Tuesday, and a blizzard warning will be in effect for portions of the coast.

Tuesday: Snowy and windy. Snow heavy at times. Northeast winds increasing to 25-30 miles per hour, gusts to 45 miles per hour. High: 33.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/03/12/more-snow-is-coming


Official

Updated: Mar. 12th, 2018, 6:00 pm
Due to the upcoming weather situation, the Governor has directed that non-emergency state employees working in Executive Branch agencies should not report to their workplaces on Tuesday, March 13, 2018.

All Massachusetts courts are closed Tuesday, 3/13.
Updated: Mar. 12th, 2018, 5:56 pm
Due to the timing and anticipated severity of tomorrow's storm and in the interest of public safety, all Massachusetts Courts will be closed statewide on Tuesday, March 13th.


https://www.mass.gov/alerts#654551
 
Storm Blitzkrieg

8 more hours of blitz, with random squalls continuing

Governor Charlie Baker's orders

Stay off the fucking roads!
(Unless you are running away from a flood, but ect.)

Obey the parking ban.
Do not drive. Take public transportation.

We have whiteout blizzard.

Clear the snow away from vents, and do not die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Do not get excited when a band of a squall dies down. 3,000 trucks are at work.

Spokesperson

We have jacknifed tractor tailers that ignored the ban.

We have cars that have spinned out.

The busses are getting stuck.

The T is on Saturday schedule.
 
Back
Top