A Question of Perspective

clistenovena

Literotica Guru
So. I have the beginnings/genesis/inception of a story. The characters are two- the stalker and the stalkee. I am going back and forth, trying to decide if a limited point of view is the better writing choice, or if both of them should have their moments in the sun. Both of them exist in my mind quite clearly, however, so it's personal for me.

Since there are only two of them, would the plot benefit from knowing both character's perspectives? As readers, do you prefer to know the mindset of each character, or is one narrative the way to go?

As it is now, both character's have their say. It's intermingled, not separated by chapters. But as I said, it's all in its emerging phase.

Thoughts, please? Thank you. :)

I love premises like this. I'd love to read a story from two perspectives by two well-crafted characters. If you decide to do two perspectives, then invent two very different characters and live in them for a bit. Regardless of your writing style, articulate their personalities so that the readers feel how different they are. Even your stalker can be compelling- if the little black dog told him to do it, write his commitment to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Different perspectives is compelling and rewarding to read when done well.

I'm not against this either and although I'm not gonna tell you how to run your show, I'm curious to see how you're gonna do it.

A story about a stalker and a stalkee comes across as a story that's usually told from a single perspective, with tension and all. I'm curious if you try to maintain that tension and how you do that if the intentions of the stalker are already known - and not hostile. So yeah, curious.

I think this can work, certainly, but I have a suggestion. Don't switch perspectives back and forth too frequently, and be very clear when you've switched from one to the other.

In a story like this, where they are antagonists, rather than lovers, you want to maintain a sense of suspense and tension. I think it will be easier to do that if you don't hop from one head to the other too frequently.

Also, suspense sometimes is maintained by NOT knowing what one of the main characters -- usually the bad guy -- is going to do. So to the extent you get inside the stalker's POV you might not want to reveal everything the stalker is thinking, to leave some suspense. If you do that, it probably will work better if it's told in third person limited omniscient rather than first person.

There are lots of examples of suspense novels that use this technique -- third person limited omniscient where the reader is able to peer partly, but not completely, into the mind of the bad guy. The advantage of this is that as the author you have total control over what the reader sees and what the reader doesn't see.

I love premises like this.
Me, too. And once it got stuck in my head, I liked it even more. Except now. When it's giving me fits.

articulate their personalities so that the readers feel how different they are. Even your stalker can be compelling- if the little black dog told him to do it, write his commitment to it.
I want my stalker compelling, and seemingly normal, even though he's quite off. But as I said, it's personal. Excellent advice. My thanks. :)

A story about a stalker and a stalkee comes across as a story that's usually told from a single perspective, with tension and all. I'm curious if you try to maintain that tension and how you do that if the intentions of the stalker are already known - and not hostile. So yeah, curious.
I am curious as well. Intent will be left for later rather than earlier. I think...

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1471765
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1472543

I only wonder how it works out if it isn't separated by chapters. Make sure people will know whose head they are in, and don't hop too often, or it might become really confusing.
Thank you for the links. Good stuff. And no hopping back and forth- got it. Plus, that would be exhausting for writer and reader.

I think this can work, certainly, but I have a suggestion. Don't switch perspectives back and forth too frequently, and be very clear when you've switched from one to the other.
Also grand advice. As it lays on the page now, it's more of a perspective shift between scenes. I say scenes 'cause I don't think I have enough to call them 'chapters.'

In a story like this, where they are antagonists, rather than lovers, you want to maintain a sense of suspense and tension.
This is what I want to do as well, build that suspense, create the tension to a point that it's palpable. Just not sure how, of mainly if I can. Gonna try, though.

Also, suspense sometimes is maintained by NOT knowing what one of the main characters -- usually the bad guy -- is going to do. So to the extent you get inside the stalker's POV you might not want to reveal everything the stalker is thinking, to leave some suspense. If you do that, it probably will work better if it's told in third person limited omniscient rather than first person.
MOre great advice. Honestly, I have no idea, at this point, what he is going to do. Right now, he's just doing. And yes, I totally meant third person. Just playing with limited or omniscient. I know what I want. Just gotta see if I can make that work.

Thanks to you all for your words of wisdom. They do help. :)

One thing I've done before is shift perspective to whichever character who is initiating or performing an action. That way the perspective is always active.

Oh, this is good! And maybe what I'm doing. Going to re-read (again). Thanks! :)

So. I have the beginnings/genesis/inception of a story. The characters are two- the stalker and the stalkee. I am going back and forth, trying to decide if a limited point of view is the better writing choice, or if both of them should have their moments in the sun. Both of them exist in my mind quite clearly, however, so it's personal for me.

Since there are only two of them, would the plot benefit from knowing both character's perspectives? As readers, do you prefer to know the mindset of each character, or is one narrative the way to go?

As it is now, both character's have their say. It's intermingled, not separated by chapters. But as I said, it's all in its emerging phase.

Thoughts, please? Thank you. :)

Take a look at Inside the Mind of a Stalker, it's all from his(the stalkers POV), but you get a look into the woman's(the stalkee) when she tells her husband (the stalker) what happened to her. Oh not most people get that part.

I also have several other stories where the POV(1st person) switches and not on a chapter boundary Justice for Julie

Take a look at Inside the Mind of a Stalker, it's all from his(the stalkers POV), but you get a look into the woman's(the stalkee) when she tells her husband (the stalker) what happened to her. Oh not most people get that part.

I also have several other stories where the POV(1st person) switches and not on a chapter boundary Justice for Julie

I will check each of those out. Thank you very much.

Back