Tripe, Nonsense and Balderdash

once is a mistake, twice is jazz

I was thinking on the following quotes from miles davis~
"there are no mistakes"
"if you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough"
Davis' practice was to leave mistakes in his recordings rather than edit them out. I think they call it innovation.
Not holding to restrictions that might keep new music from being created.
An interesting concept, i think.
I wonder what jazz purists demand before they'll grace it with the label of jazz?
What's this got to do with poetry?
Apparently, not a damn thing.
We'll label it nonsense

I'd vote

Trix, you should be the poet who reads at the next Inauguration of the leader of whatever country you inhabit.

I've been gone so long
the road home is overgrown
choked out with weeds
Such lovely things
those weeds
with their tiny little blooms
Nature's polka dots
blocking my way
I stare at them in their minuscule glory
and find
I don't have the heart to trample them

Trixareforkids

Nice!

Boleslaw Leśmian wrote Odjazd (or in English: Going away)--if I had to choose just one poem in the whole literature to keep me company alone on a forgotten island (no Internet! :)) then it would be Leśmian's Odjazd.

Trixareforkids' poem is like a postscriptum or second part. It's not as advanced artistically as Odjazd, but it's still very good--good enough to let it play a role of an unexpected continuation. And this is certainly quite a compliment. :)

Let me mention certain moment in Trixareforkids ' poem. Calling on Nature here is a bit surprising, and almost an unwelcome intrusion. Indeed, the whole poem is about Nature, then why should one bother saying the big word? However *polka dots* appear on (female!) clothing, which is not quite Nature. Saying

like polka dots

is simpler and competitive with the Author's

Nature's polka dots​

(either verse has its advantages and very slight disadvantages). it is one of the Author's rights and privileges to select one of such phrases. Sometimes the so-called critics make their own arbitrary choices instead of writing their own poem (let them kill poetry in their own poems! Mainly those critics don't know how to read, don't understand poetry, so that they make their dumb suggestions).

I enjoyed your poem, Trixareforkids, hey!

Last edited:
Thank you Senna Jawa. To be linked to someone's favorite piece is indeed a heady compliment. I tried to find a translation of Odjazd, but was unable to do so. I did however find a review of a book translating his work and read the opening comments on how difficult he is to translate because of the idiosyncrasies within the Polish language that he used. If you have a translation, I'd be delighted if you would share it.

In my mind, my piece was about human nature; the way we have of letting small, seemingly unimportant things sway us from our stated course or intentions and our internal justifications for those decisions. Oh, and Nature brought us the first polka dots, ours are the pale imitation, so like did not seem appropriate. :rose:

Back